Is walking 30 minutes a day really benefical?

Options

Replies

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    It is probably the most under rated thing out there .. but one of the truly best exercise items you can do and most anyone can easily do it. One of my former MFP friends lost over 85 lbs just walking ... oh and a deficit.
  • Stitch_down_carbs
    Stitch_down_carbs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    yes!, walking is a nice gentle way to burn calories and it helps me sort my mind out.
  • jimmy28
    jimmy28 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    OP, do you mind sharing why you're not sure if it's helping or beneficial for you? Someone might have worked through a similar situation. I personally wasn't getting CV benefits until I strengthened my leg and ankle muscles enough to sustain a good pace, but I had to walk every day to get there. If you're physically able just speeding up and covering more ground in the 30 mins may make all the difference. Other ways to increase the intensity in your 30 mins may be doing low impact movement like side steps, knee raises etc. Anything to get the most movement in 30 mins without hurting anything. Wherever you're at 30 mins will work great if you get the most you can out of it either strengthening yourself or pushing yourself a little more.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Absolutely.

It's great for cardiovascular health, and IMO, it's great for you mentally too. I always felt more clear-headed and less stressed out after walking.

And DavPaul is right, doing SOMETHING is better than doing NOTHING. Not sure why it's even a debate in your mind!
  • lindagrimm904
    lindagrimm904 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I started out weighing 230 lbs. and I now weigh 181.6 lbs. I don't even walk 30 minutes a day. Sometimes I do. It depends on how I feel. I have asthma. I hope this helps your decision. I hope you have a blessed day!
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    It's better than nothing.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Yes. Walking is great for you. Is it the most perfect exercise for everyone under all conditions and fitness needs? Good Lord, no!

But it is good exercise, yes.

If you need some encouragement, check out Urban Ranger.
  • stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    I have read the studies and the answer is unmistakably yes.. Rather than babble on check out what I think is a good basic synopsis and then look further into the studies they mention if you're interested: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1199
  • stuart160
    stuart160 Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    Noel, I loved that link thanks for sharing it...
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    The well-known benefits of cardio exercise begin at only 20 minutes a day at an elevated heart rate, so walk briskly. You can improve your cholesterol, BMI, mood, heart disease risk, bones and muscles.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Walking is exercise...you're srsly asking whether getting regular exercise is beneficial?
  • theskyrimjedi
    theskyrimjedi Posts: 46 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Just to clarify, I asked because I wanted to know is it really the best method to stay fit? Won't the body adapt?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify, I asked because I wanted to know is it really the best method to stay fit? Won't the body adapt?

Who said it was the best? You seem confused about understanding what exercise is and what it can do for you. There are two issues you might wnat to consider, losing weight via exercise and then getting fit via exercise. Start off with what you can manage, then build up endurance and intensity. Your body adapts, which is why you keep pushing it and increase fitness along the way. that might mean going further faster or lifting heavier weights.

Here are a few links which might give you a better overview

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/Whybeactive.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/physical-activity-guidelines-for-adults.aspx
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Dude, you wanna know the best exercise? The very best and most perfect exercise?

The one you do regularly and consistently over a long period of time. That's it. No exercise is good if you don't do it, and if you do it regularly, it's good.
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    When it comes to burning calories your body doesn't adapt... burning calories is like eating calories... it doesn't matter if you eat 100calories of carrots or carrot cake... it still 100 calories..

the same burning calories.. walking, jogging or running... remember exercise no matter what form is better then sitting watching tv...^^
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

best for what?

best for power lifting? no- absolutely not.

Best for someone with a lot of weight to lose with bad joints? quiet possibly- yes.

is it "best" for something- is way to generic of a question.

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

You don't understand your own question
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Beneficial for what?

Starting out for exercise? Always. Gets habits down.

For adding extra calories to the day, so you can eat slightly more and have the same deficit? Yes. But as you lose weight, if you don't speed up, it'll be less and less. And at some point there will be a top speed reached anyway.

For heart health? At first. But eventually it won't be a load on the heart anymore, so no more need for improvement. Actually, if you lose weight and reach that max speed you can do, eventually it will be an easier load than it used to be. You can lose cardiovascular improvement.
    It would be like squatting 200 lbs always, and then losing 30 lbs, but still only squatting 200. You just took 30 lbs off the muscles for work, they will get weaker, and faster in a diet.

For mental health? Probably always.

For physical improvements? For short time, but most have been walking since kids, doesn't take much to improve to point body can keep doing it for a long while, and 30 min will quickly become NOT very long.

And is this 30 min possibly going to eventually take time away from other potential workouts? That could actually be bad if you could do a more useful workout for your goals with that time, but don't.

If this is the potential start of your exercise routine - do it!