50 pounds to lose....

I need to lose 50 lbs or so....pre-diabetic....starting point 204 lbs......

Replies

• Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Now is the time .. just remember, consistency will be the key to success. Oh .. and being on a calorie deficit. This is the place to do it. Good luck.
  • saggyandbaggy
    saggyandbaggy Posts: 138 Member
    edited December 2014
    you can do it if you log everything - weigh and log that seems to be what works for most people. I have found that I was under estimating what I eat/used in cooking etc but have now got it sussed and it is doing the job! I started at 320 and am 70 lbs down since July. Good luck!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Welcome!! read the stickies at the top of the forums, lots of great information to get you started. Good luck :)

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1296011/calorie-counting-101/p1
  • how cool! same here! I started at 203 Ive lost 14 lbs. Lets help each other out!! :) Im trying to lose for my wedding. good luck with your journey
  • You're making a great start at reaching your goals by using this program! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • eatless83
    eatless83 Posts: 158 Member
    edited December 2014
    I'm here to go through the journey with you!

I am looking do she's 50lb in 2015 and cannot wait to get started!!

We can do this!!!
  • Jpat0
    Jpat0 Posts: 201 Member
    Hey! I'm looking to lose 50 - 60 lbs. Feel free to add me for motivation :)
  • blew the calories out of the water at the office Christmas party.....but I am thankful I don't have those very often.....as an engineer , I do a lot of walking ( maybe 10 kms/day)...but I doubt I can include this as exercise....now back to where I was before yesterday...and thaks for the motivation...
  • queenliz99
    Forget yesterday. Just get back to tracking. Many successful people, who have lost weight, have had bad days with their calorie intake. Don't let it get you down. Shrug it off :)
  • got to admit a couple of hours of dancing was fun....and helped on the final calorie count...
  • sophomorelove
    sophomorelove Posts: 193 Member
    Hi, I have similar goals, and I've been at it for 20 days. I already had my first crisis: I went way over my weekly calories limit, but fellow MFP'ers helped me by reminding that the first few weeks are about observation and analysis of your eating habits, so you can make reasonable changes and not burn out.
  • queenliz99
    alainmci wrote: »
    got to admit a couple of hours of dancing was fun....and helped on the final calorie count...

Life's too short not to have a little fun, really :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Before starting prepare and plan properly. Learn how it works and the components of a good plan. You will see the same advice being given consistently on here so you can learn a lot. Start with the stickies. Learn the importance of consistently logging an accurate deficit. Good luck.
  • I started at 1500 cals/day....close to the minimum for a working man...although I don't work physically that hard , but walks a fair bit...in the end , I need to keep diabetes at bay....
  • lsgibbs83
    lsgibbs83 Posts: 254 Member
    I started just over 6 months ago needing to lose 70 lbs and am now less than 15lbs from the upper end of my goal. Consistency, weighing/measuring, and logging EVERYTHING has been key. Also, the girl who previously didn't like to exercise and sweat now runs/walks (intervals) 3-4 days a week and does strength training 2-3 days a week.

As being diagnosed pre-diabetic you may see if you can get a session with a Nutritionist covered by your insurance. That should help a lot.

If I can do this, I know you can.
  • lothquendi
    lothquendi Posts: 22 Member
    I started at 205 with 50 lbs to lose in September. I'm already down 22 lbs! It's totally possible!
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    alainmci wrote: »
    As an engineer , I do a lot of walking ( maybe 10 kms/day)...but I doubt I can include this as exercise....

Using MFP, you should count this as your base activity level. In other words, in your "goals", set yourself as "active" instead of "sedentary", which is about right for someone who walks 10km/day. Just double-check that number 'cause that's a lot -- maybe invest in an activity tracker? Anyway, that will give you more base calories from which to deduct your deficit.

If you do any additional exercise on top of that, like going to the gym or working out, you would log that separately and "eat back" those calories -- though be aware that MFP tends to overestimate exercise calories, so I'd suggest starting with eating back only about half of them. But don't log the walking you do as part of your daily activity under "exercise", cause MFP will already have accounted for it under activity level and you don't want to double-count.

Agree with the advice to see a registered dietitian (not a nutritionist -- the term dietitian is protected by law in Ontario) -- to help with a food plan for pre-diabetes -- ask your GP for a referral.

Slow and steady wins this race.
  • I am glad to have come across all of you.....you are a big help...Thank you!!! I have a food scale at home...I will begin use it and maybe get a more accurate picture of my calorie intake...on certain things there is no guessing...some other, a lot...and i will keep track of my walking at work also to be more precise...
  • The combination of keeping track of walking (perhaps with a pedometer?) and using the food scale is going to be really helpful! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    You can do it. I was obese in February this year, and am now in normal weight range. Just stick at it and don't let setbacks stop you - just keep going through them. Please use the food scale - it makes a big difference.