Tips and tricks

Options
The same generic advice is all over the internet...

I want to know your personal tricks to overcome your bad habits!

e.g. I keep mini-lollies in the freezer and have started eating cold main meals at work... then PIG on light salad in the evening (my binge danger zone.)

Keep this going!

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    1) eat any foods I love
    2) eat foods that meet my daily macro goals
    3) understand what my goals are and why they are set
    4) ditch the bad relationship with food, leading to no more issues with binging or over-eating

that's it, really. Just eating in ways that are psychologically and physically compatible with my goals and lifestyle. No gimmicks.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've swapped chocolate for rasberries and blackberries
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options

Dunno why you would, tbh.
  • slimbluehen
    slimbluehen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    When eating a meal, if I feel out of control and in danger of eating everything, I stop for a few minutes mid-meal. Somehow, I can then give my stomach, which is usually registering some level of fullness or satiety, control over my mouth! (LOL).
  • ana3067
    Options
    When eating a meal, if I feel out of control and in danger of eating everything, I stop for a few minutes mid-meal. Somehow, I can then give my stomach, which is usually registering some level of fullness or satiety, control over my mouth! (LOL).

Shouldn't you already have a proper portion on your plate to begin with that would not resul tin over-eating?
  • Christine_72
    Options

Dunno why you would, tbh.

Because it satisfies my sweet tooth, with hundreds less calories than a chocolate bar ;)

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I Pre-log and weigh and measure everything. It doesn't go in until its logged.
    I make room daily for a treat and don't believe in going without something I crave.
    If you happen to go over, log it and move on.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I find eating larger meals and avoiding snacks is useful to me. I often choose not to stop snacking when I start, especially in the evenings. But, if I eat a reasonably substantial meal and then mentally tag the rest of the evening as "not eating time" I eat enough without overeating.

It doesn't work for everyone I know, but for some reason, meals are my friend and snacking really isn't.
  • ana3067
    Options
    I find eating larger meals and avoiding snacks is useful to me. I often choose not to stop snacking when I start, especially in the evenings. But, if I eat a reasonably substantial meal and then mentally tag the rest of the evening as "not eating time" I eat enough without overeating.

It doesn't work for everyone I know, but for some reason, meals are my friend and snacking really isn't.

I'm the same. Part of it is that I eat quickly, so it takes me a while to feel full. But if I am snacking, there's the issue of not enough calories (depending on snack) and eating too quickly, so I just eat more, and more... much easier for me to eat my 3 main meals, log my caloric intake ahead of time (or just before eating) so that I know that my intake will keep me satisfied, and then just eat that.

Also, snacking just makes me hungrier in general.
  • maryseb63
    maryseb63 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love my popcorn and work it into my daily allowance. This way if i'm thinking of snacking, I know I will later on in the evening. Has worked well for me for almost a year.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I buy single servings of what I want, but can't or don't bother to keep in the house. Icecream, candy, cashew nuts, grapes, bananas all currently fall into this category
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    I only eat between 12and 4pm.
    My first meal of the day is always a giant green smoothie
    I drink lots of water and I try to pre log my meals
    I drink herbal fruit tea at night to prevent snacking
  • ana3067
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

Like a 4-hour window? Or 12am? If it's a 4-hour window I'd be hella hangry lol.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Laurend224 wrote: »

you sound very healthy Lauren. I like your routine :)

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I log my food for a week at a time. If I don't log it, I won't lick it. When in doubt, use a food scale and be mindful of overestimating calories burned. Focus on one day at a time. Slow and steady!
  • slimbluehen
    slimbluehen Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Shouldn't you already have a proper portion on your plate to begin with that would not resul tin over-eating?

I work with the 1/4 protein, 1/4 grains, 1/2 non-starchy vegetables concept for filling my plate. I really can't stand measuring and weighing - it's boomeranged on me in the past - so I started doing this AND eating mindfully, which often results in not finishing all the protein and grains on my plate. So far, it has worked for me. Before coming back here to start logging because of a program I am now in, I've lost about twenty pounds.

I may have to get more strict with my food choices and portions as I go along, but baby steps are easier for me to make changes than huge change all at one time.
  • OrangeBabelfish
    OrangeBabelfish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I pre-log the majority of my working week. I find, knowing what I am going to eat all week, means I can just pick up my pre-prepared lunch out of my fridge, and when hungry at home, I look at what I am due to eat in the evening and look forward to that.

I also try and approach with flexible dieting. I will occasionally have steak and chips. But then I'll do it on a day where I've done a big or long work out. I will make some room for a sweet here and there. Because for me, once something becomes "forbidden", I only want it more. I don't have cheat days, because I'll make room for something in a normal day if I really want it.

Also - when going over, try not to stress. Christmas day - I will be eating too many calories. But you know what? One day, it's OK. As long as I log it and hold myself accountable, I can deal with it.
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I don't snack, or count, or plan meals. I eat when I get hungry, and I stop when I get full.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    -Dieting begins in the grocery store - don't want it? Don't buy it. Read the labels.
    -More food, less calories
    -Eat when I'm hungry
    -Stop eating when satisfied, not when full. Full will come, lol
    -Fruit instead of empty-calorie sweets (literally the best thing I did - I now prefer the healthier stuff!)
    -When a whoosh is imminent, some potato speeds it up (so far)
    -Exercise
    -Try new foods
    -Give up on trying to like things I hate, but try new recipes for things I don't like much
    -Be creative with food (e.g. Hard, white lettuce instead of chips with salsa)
    -Don't worry about going over or under calorie goals
    -Don't worry when there is a plateau (remember there will be a whoosh)
    -Drink water
    -I can have off days
    -Patience! Don't get discouraged. It's a long journey.
    -Try any stupid thing that doesn't go against my plan (like, "spicy food will help you lose!")
    -Keep working on my millions of goals
    -Not allowing the saboteurs to have any effect. (You learn a lot about some of the people close to you when you lose weight!)