Does your metabolism slow down when you quit smoking?

Options
daniran
daniran Posts: 233 Member
I had stopped smoking for over 2 years. Then my brother came to visit from London and stayed a few months. Well, being around he and his wife smoking I picked it back up. A year and a couple of months later - I've finally stopped again. Yippie! Well not quite... My weight seems to be going back up only by a couple of pounds thus far. But, it's been hard coming off and I'm not trying to go backwards. So, I hope I'm not sabotaging my weight loss.

Replies

• xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    your metabolism should catch back up in a while.

congrats on trying to quit! i need to find the strength too.
  • tu9387
    tu9387 Posts: 2
    Options
    I read a book by Allen Carr - The EasyWay to Quit Smoking, and haven't smoked even one cigarette in 8 months! I'd tried everything too, but couldn't make it stick. For some reason, this book just really did it for me!
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'm a former cigarette smoker. Though, I use an electronic cigarette now as nicotine replacement therapy.

Nicotine is a stimulant. Stimulants are appetite suppressants. Getting off of appetite suppressants increases the feeling of hunger. The increased hunger creates a higher intake of calories. Coming off of stimulants, especially an addictive one like nicotine, will cause withdrawal symptoms, which may include lethargy, irritability, and flu-like symptoms.

Exercise will help your body deal with those withdrawals and increase metabolism.
  • rachrach66
    rachrach66 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    E-Cigarettes work! I been smoking for 10 years and quit for my health and to be able to exercise more. I haven't even been tempted to start up again!
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    i quit today...i have the gum and e-cigs to keep me from buying another pack, but i think once i can breath a little better, i'll exercise better, so hopefully it'll balance out lol :) good luck!!
  • b00b0084
    b00b0084 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Ive been a smoker off and on for 8 years. I want to quit smoking and would love to. My only problem is right now I am living with my dad and he is a smoker, with absolutely no plan to quit smoking ever. So even if I quit, I am still going to be around it and the whole apartment smells like an ashtray. Grr.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Yes it does. Since smoking elevates your heart rate you burn more calories than you would if you were a nonsmoker. The amount of increased caloric expediture could be insignificant, but I have read estimates that it could equal a difference of 200 calories/day, which may be a 10% change in BMR.

I put off smoking as long as possible beacause I was scared to death that I would gain 20-30 lbs that i had worked so hard to lose. However, I have actually lost weight since I quit and have been able to increase my workout intensity and start running again. The people who gain a bunch of weight when they quit are the people who stuff their face when they have a craving. I would get some sugar free gum and candy and a few boxes of tooth pics. That helped me tremedously.

Quit now!!! it will be one of the best choices you have ever made. Good luck!

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "I'LL HAVE JUST ONE CIGARETTE!!!"
  • daniran
    daniran Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 1 week down as of today. Thank you all for responding to me. I got some great info too! I can now look optimistically towards the future. Knowing that this too shall pass! Have a great day everyone!
  • preacher_lady
    preacher_lady Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You already have my reply on MFP newsfeed. jdm_taco gave you some very good advice on this message board also. I wouldn't listen to anyone who is negative. You also have strong faith in God and He will help you. I have faith in you, my friend. :)