Christmas Dinner Ideas?

Options
ltlmb
ltlmb Posts: 7 Member
I'm trying to come up with a healthy Christmas dinner. Any suggestions? What do you all normally make?

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ham, applesauce, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, stuffed mushrooms, kielbasa, green beans, rolls. Cheesecake, apple pie, banana cream pie. It's Christmas. It's to be enjoyed.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    If you have an extra oven, squash is great. I suppose you could also microwave it, if you had no other options.

I'm also partial to roasted red peppers, even though they're out of season.
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Dry roast your potatoes and parsnips using FryLight oil spray, the other veg are healthy anyway, eat only lean meat but enjoy your day, Christmas is to be enjoyed and life is too short. Just make sure you don't sit munching on chocolates all day and you can enjoy the traditional lunch and trimmings. Merry Christmas ;0)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    The others are right, I understand the worry about eating healthy, but one day will not hurt at all.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    - Choose turkey or chicken over fattier birds such as goose or duck.
    - Stick to the leaner meat such as breast and don't eat skin or crackling.
    - Steam or boil veggies rather than roast.
    - Use low-fat alternatives to butter and cream for mashed vegetables.
    - Add flavour with seasoning and herbs rather than fat.

I can't think of alternatives to gravy, yorkshire puddings, pigs-in-blankets or stuffing! Just eat less of that stuff?
  • logg1e
    Options
    Good idea for a thread btw.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    Ham, applesauce, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, stuffed mushrooms, kielbasa, green beans, rolls. Cheesecake, apple pie, banana cream pie. It's Christmas. It's to be enjoyed.

Exactly. Eat what you want since it will only be one day. If you're the one hosting a family get together you could give some of the leftovers away.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    turkey or ham, with accompaniments. yums!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I know that it is sometimes hard to take the advice to eat what you want, it is only one day. For me, I just have a taste of everything, moderation for me, is key. I have been doing this for almost 3 years now (a little over a year on maintenance) so I know what works for me.
    Enjoy the holidays with friends and family.
  • logg1e
    Options
    I know that it is sometimes hard to take the advice to eat what you want, it is only one day.

Well, especially if you have already decided you want to prepare a healthier version and people are ignoring what you've said!

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    We just had our family Christmas dinner yesterday (3/4 of the family will be leaving in a few days for a month in Florida). I made a boneless stuffed turkey breast, oven roasted potatoes (sliced and roasted with a little olive oil and Italian seasoning) and peas with cipollini (saute onions and garlic in a little olive oil, add frozen peas and some chicken stock and cook covered until tender). I haven't figured out the calories yet, but it was a yummy dinner and definitely lower calorie. Well, except the dessert. I am "required" to make a Yule Log cake every year and that is not low calorie but definitely delicious and a great treat.
  • ltlmb
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    We just had our family Christmas dinner yesterday (3/4 of the family will be leaving in a few days for a month in Florida). I made a boneless stuffed turkey breast, oven roasted potatoes (sliced and roasted with a little olive oil and Italian seasoning) and peas with cipollini (saute onions and garlic in a little olive oil, add frozen peas and some chicken stock and cook covered until tender). I haven't figured out the calories yet, but it was a yummy dinner and definitely lower calorie. Well, except the dessert. I am "required" to make a Yule Log cake every year and that is not low calorie but definitely delicious and a great treat.
    That sounds perfect!

Thanks for your suggestions everyone :)

Also, I know it's one day, but it's one day I am trying to make a new tradition of healthy holidays because it's what I want to do. :)
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    ltlmb wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    That sounds perfect!

Thanks for your suggestions everyone :)

Also, I know it's one day, but it's one day I am trying to make a new tradition of healthy holidays because it's what I want to do. :)

Do you have an account on Pinterest? They have a lot of healthier recipes on there for regular times & also for holidays.
  • ltlmb
    Options
    I do have a pinterest! They have so many good recipes I've tried, but just struggled finding something for a Christmas dinner, but I ended up finally finding something. :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ltlmb wrote: »
    I do have a pinterest! They have so many good recipes I've tried, but just struggled finding something for a Christmas dinner, but I ended up finally finding something. :)

So what did you decide on?

• ltlmb
    Options
    Basing off your idea with stuffed turkey breast, I found a few recipes I've been trying to decide between. It will definitely be some kind of stuffed turkey or chicken though :) I found a lot of recipes on skinnytaste that I like :) I'll probably just serve with some veggies because I can't seem to get enough of those! Thanks again for your suggestion!
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Christmas is a free day! Enjoy!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Appetizers:
    Shrimp
    Veggie platter
    Pigs-in-a-blanket

Main course:
    Turkey
    Ham
    Lasagna
    Swedish meatballs
    Mashed potatoes
    Gravy
    Cranberry sauce
    Green beans with EVOO and garlic
    Green bean casserole
    Carrots and turnips
    Corn
    Rolls
    Cornbread

Dessert:
    Apple pie
    Pumpkin pie
    Chocolate cream pie
    Sugar cookies
    Gingerbread cookies
    Oatmeal butterscotch cookies
    Choco chip cookies
    Fruit platter
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Once we get back (going skiing): the current plan is: turkey, yams, green beans, cranberries, and a pie for the boys. YUM.

All prepared well.