Sigh. The flesh is willing but the spirit is weak.

Options
I've been really struggling recently with motivation, and I don't really know why.

I haven't lost any weight in the last few months, but I don't think I really mind that - I'm seeing improvements in my performance, and although I do have more weight to lose I look ok. I've hit some good fitness goals lately too, running further, lifting heavier, doing better..

So I really don't know why I'm feeling so down about it all - I'm not eating as well as I should, I'm psyching myself out in training, it's almost like I'm sabotaging myself.

I just wish I knew why!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the things you are happy about. Log everyday. That is the key and the best tool you have to be on track.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Honey you can have a diet of pizza and cake and still lose weight as long as you keep your calories under control - of course it would be better for you to eat more veggies and less fried foods... You've conquered the exercise portion of your lifestyle makeover, now it's time to start counting those calories religiously and making sure to stay hydrated. You can do this sweetie! If your weight annoys you, change it! And if you're at a plateau embrace it. You might not be seeing a shift in the scales because you're gaining muscle - maybe it's time to stop weighing yourself and start taking body measurements once a month instead.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You are making progress, but you have to ecide in weight loss terms whether you are going to consume less or just train harder. You seem to be hovering on maintenance.

If your deficit is too severe, then you could lower it to .5lbs a week loss, but you have to be very accurate about it as you are dealing with very small margins.

You should be weighing your food, get people to look at your diary, do a bit more exercise and generally go over each stage of your plan and then ask yourself if you are prepared to commit and follow through.

Id get fed up if I hadnt moved anywhere for a few months becayse then id think im doing all this boring stuff and no progress. The answer of why you are feeling down might be because of that plus you are stressed about future progress plus its the Christmas period which is a busy time. Also weight is only one of a nuumber of ways you can look for progress, the tape measure and performance monitors also help. Weight on its own should never be he sole indicator.

Chin up, refresh your plan (you know the diet isnt the best) and then commit to putting the revised plan into action. If you consistently eat at a deficit you WILL make progress. Good luck.
  • jinkoori
    jinkoori Posts: 9 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hi. It's not about the scale numbers. It's about being healthy and doing good to your body. Even if you starve yourself and wear yourself out and successfully lose weight, it's not good. From what I've read, you've been running farther, lifting heavier, and doing better. That's a lot to be cheerful about. :) It's not about pleasing and looking good to other people; it's about living your life abundantly by being healthy. :)
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    thanks for all the positivity, but I dont think you get what I'm saying. I'm happy with my progress, im happy with where I am now and where I have to go. I'm not sad because my progress isn't going fast enough, or anything like that - im really happy with my progress.

I'm just sad. I don't know why, but I just suddenly can't.

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Given your clarification, I wonder if it's the season? If you're in the northern hemisphere, the short days, dim sunlight, cold weather, and long nights can be a real downer. I struggle with that myself, though a hard workout makes me feel better. I'm not bad enough to buy a light box for SAD therapy, but I've considered it.

I'm guessing that you're American (worth remembering that MFP has members from many countries, so correct me if I'm wrong). Our culture overvalues being happy and has a tendency to medicalize bad moods. I think that it's OK to be sad if there's a good reason. But if you're sad for no reason, and exposure to sunlight (or an artificial replacement) doesn't help, you might check with your doctor.
  • IamAddictedtoCoconuts
    Options
    Like Bwogilvie said, it could be SAD. Also is there anything that maybe happened recently that could make you feel like this? Is there something you feel bad about? Maybe some issue going on in your life? Also is this the first time this happened to you? If not, you could go get a check up.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Because it sucks? This losing weight thing is hard work! And it takes forever and a day.

If you think you are committed enough to take a break, take one. Stop the logging. Indulge a little. Take a week or two off.

It all gets to be a little much after a while. Maybe you need a break. :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I can't offer you any advice, but I will send you a big hug.
    Cheers, h.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Christmas can be a difficult time for many people. There is so much pressure to get along with family, buy presents and be merry. The reality often doesn't live up to the hype.

Perhaps try journaling or have coffee with a friend.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    blueakama wrote: »
    Christmas can be a difficult time for many people. There is so much pressure to get along with family, buy presents and be merry. The reality often doesn't live up to the hype.

Perhaps try journaling or have coffee with a friend.

I started to write and then noticed this post, which was exactly what I was commenting about. This season can be very difficult if you have the traditional expectations.

It's almost over, so take heart. I find that scheduling regular workouts helps - not that it's easy with all the schedule changes at the gyms. Last week I started Salsa lessons - something new and it's helpful to carve out time to socialize as well. One year I refused all invitations and that's a really bad idea. ;-)