Those last few stubborn pounds!

Hi everyone,

I've been losing weight steadily (somewhat) since August. I went from 20% body fat to, now, about 12.5%. I did this the old-fashioned, calorie deficit way: 500 calories fewer a day = 1 pound of fat loss a week. Anyway, long story short, I'm slimmer than I've been since probably high school, and I'm in my late 30s now. I say "steadily," but I hit a plateau a few weeks ago that I finally broke in mid-November. I broke out of the plateau by going back up to maintenance level for a week (adding those 500 calories per day back) and then dropping back down so my metabolism would kick into high gear again, wouldn't get used to the pattern. It worked, and I'd lost a percent of body fat by my next measurement.

Problem is...I plateaued again. I've been staying the same since December 7th. Is it normal to plateau less than a month after the previous plateau? I've been keeping track of my calories, so I know it's not calories. And my workout routine has stayed the same pattern, though I recently switched up my weight exercises.

I'm going to try to break my plateau by raising my calories by 500 again this week. But does anyone have any other advice to shed the last 4-5 pounds I've got left?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Be patent. It gets slower when you get closer to goal.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited December 2014
    You've been at the same weight for a week. Take a poop. YOu're not plateauing.

At 4-5lbs left you should probably lower your goal to half a lb a week or less.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    I have 9 more pounds to lose and I have been in a plateau for a month now. The closer you get to your goal, the more your body holds on. It is frustrating and it seems to happen to everyone.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    It's gets harder as you get closer to your goal weight. You just need patience. :)
  • lostinwebspace
    lostinwebspace Posts: 99 Member
    I've been modifying my calorie intake as my weight gets lower...if that counts for anything. But the bottom line is just keep going and the fat will come off, just slower? Ok, thanks guys. And I should lower my goal to half a pound? How come? Not being defensive, but just want to know the logic. Is that cuz my calories get lower as my weight gets lower and I don't want my calorie count to get too low?
  • I'm also in the same boat...down 52 or so with 20 to go.....scale hasn't budged in a month and a half...I think I definitely need to eat cleaner is one thing.....but my question to you all is....... if I set MFP to lose 2 pounds a week......active 5-6x a week.....it says I can eat 1300 calories......*HERE'S MY QUESTION* when I work out and burn an extra 350-500 cal a day......do I eat them all back? Will I remain the same weight if I eat them all back or does MFP already do a deficit for me (hence the 2 pounds a week loss goal?) or do I not eat them back? Maybe just some? I'm confusing myself the closer I'm getting to my goal......ANY input would be appreciated.....as I know I need to be patient....but I'm getting frustrated/confused :(
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    OP - the leaner you get the harder it is going to drop the last few pounds, it is just your body's natural reaction to want to hang on to body fat for emergency times ..i.e. when there is no food around to fuel it. It is a left over survival feature of the human body. So yes, it is pretty common to have more plateaus as you try to get even leaner.

Do you currently work out with weights? IF yes, what is your regimen like? Have you ever thought about doing a recomp or bulk?