What do u do when u can't shower?

Options
Every december I have a weekend away in London.. It's always a great treat to myself for the year and its a great way to get ready for the coming xmas crap.
Just returned from this years jaunt and as usual..had a blast ..
However.. Returned with a stinking cold and a middle ear infection.. Sat three hours in a&e last night and was given antibiotics and told not to shower or get my inner ear wet. .. So.. I have to not excercise for a week now until it's gone, as I HATE baths..lol
Not that I really feel like exercising at all this week as it is, but a bit miffed a I bought new running shoes and jacket and new dumbells last week and not had chance to use either yet.
On a plus note..I also don't feel like eating either so I'll at least keep under my calories :)
Merry Xmas to me

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Drastically reduce your social engagements?

Sponge bath?

I'm leaving this thread now.
  • Angurla
    Angurla Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Does your shower head have a fixed head or one that has an extension? If so I would just use the extension and not get your head wet. Or see if you can wear a swim cap or the wax ear plugs that mold to your ear. My son had constant ear infections and then tubes so we used them both alot. Good luck!
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    bucket showers would work for you. Just stand or crouch in your bathtub and fill a plastic container with water and pour it over you...avoiding your head...and keep refilling and pouring. Soap as usual. I had to do that when traveling in certain countries where it is common.

I have used baby wipes as well, on a shorter term basis.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    What? I've gotten lots of ear infections and have never been told not to shower. I'd call a pharmacist to see if that's bogus advice.

My ear infections are always gone by the end of the antibiotics (or sooner) too. Hopefully they gave you at least 7 days of antibiotics! 5 is ineffective - and can actually make it worse.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Can you just put on a shower cap, tightly, so that it covers the ear?
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Can you use one of the soft foam ear plugs in your ear to keep it plugged up and dry (so that you could then shower)?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

I was going to only say Shower cap. It just sounds like OP doesn't want to shower.

• BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I was going to only say Shower cap. It just sounds like OP doesn't want to shower.

Seems to me like there are other options, too. But, I guess if you're sick, can't eat, and can't workout, might as well lounge around smelly! (just kidding)
  • jyogit
    jyogit Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Thanks all. Yes I can still use shower lol
    I was told not to get any water in my ear that's all.. But the thought of doing exercise this week n smelling rank kinda puts me off lol
    Think by the end of the seven days of antibiotics I'll need a big push back into my routine
  • jyogit
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Seems to me like there are other options, too. But, I guess if you're sick, can't eat, and can't workout, might as well lounge around smelly! (just kidding)

I like this idea lol
    Luckily I only have two days at work then three off :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I sit in the tub and wash with a washcloth, avoiding the ears.
  • beamie2687
    beamie2687 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Not going to lie, I HATE showering in general. I hate the part when the water is warm but the air around your body is cold and you're suddenly covered in goosebumps (I also hate hot tubs for this reason). More importantly, I've recently (in the last 2 years) found out that both my skin and my scalp are extremely sensitive and showering too often makes me dry and itchy/burny (as if I needed another excuse to avoid showering!).

I DO shower, but I don't shower everyday - maybe once every three days? I use dry shampoo if my hair gets greasy (which, it really doesn't - maybe it's gotten used to its own balance of oils) and natural deodorant daily (but not too much). I know I sound like a total hippie, but I think humans shower too much! No wonder we need so many products, shampoos, and lotions! We strip our bodies of everything they naturally make!

I shower if I've worked out, because I usually work out HARD (is there any other way?), but if I can't shower for some reason, I used a few drops of really nice, clean perfume place in strategic locations. Nothing too overpowering or drying, but enough that if a person was standing close to me, they'd barely notice something sweet about me.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Hooker's bath, sponge bath, whatever you call it (washing the Important Bits with soapy cloth), and wash your hair over a sink/bath tub. I had plenty of ear infections where I was told not to get my ears wet and it's possible to bathe and wash hair without water in your ears.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    jyogit wrote: »
    Every december I have a weekend away in London.. It's always a great treat to myself for the year and its a great way to get ready for the coming xmas crap.
    Just returned from this years jaunt and as usual..had a blast ..
    However.. Returned with a stinking cold and a middle ear infection.. Sat three hours in a&e last night and was given antibiotics and told not to shower or get my inner ear wet. .. So.. I have to not excercise for a week now until it's gone, as I HATE baths..lol
    Not that I really feel like exercising at all this week as it is, but a bit miffed a I bought new running shoes and jacket and new dumbells last week and not had chance to use either yet.
    On a plus note..I also don't feel like eating either so I'll at least keep under my calories :)
    Merry Xmas to me

I'd learn to like a bath. If you clean yourself off quick (15 min bath, not an hour long soaking) I don't see what the big deal is. If I had my choice between a bath and being stinky id pick the former.
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Not shower? I'd....die? Faint? Cry? I need a shower.

I used to get ear infections or swimmers ear as a kid. Almost ruptured my eardrums twice from it. They make some really gooey earplugs for people prone to swimmers ear-I wore them any time my head needed to go under water like showering. Lifesavers, I tell you.
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    By the way, OP-feel better soon!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • jyogit
    Options
    thanx for the advice and well wishes..ill get by i'm sure.. gonna miss the workouts for the week so wont need to shower everyday.. i also have skin conditions so i shower after every workout but only wash my hair say twice in a week otherwise the eczema kicks in on my scalp n its really crap. Gonna be a lazy week ahead for me i think.