Determined

Options
Hi everyone. My name is Laura and I have been battling my issues with weight all of my adult life pretty much. I was very thin up until I had my son when I was 22. Though even when I was thin I thought I was fat. Eating disorder issues. I put a lot of weight on my last trimester with my son, after my doctor had given me an ultimatum on how I was eating since I wasn't gaining any real weight. I was 6 months pregnant and still wearing my "fat" jeans which were a size 10! So I started eating big time, because my son was a planned pregnancy and I didn't want to lose him. Of course this coincided with Thanksgiving and Christmas to help add on the pounds. So that when I went in to give birth I was around 180. I had been about 120 to 125 before I got pregnant. My body has never been the same since. I have actually continued to creep up the scale, with brief periods of "thinness" but the lowest I have ever been since having my oldest child is 160. I had topped the scales in the last 3 months at 238!!! This is really bad since I am only 5'2". I am 43 and my father died at the age of 45 of a massive heart attack, where weight was a big factor. I don't want that to happen to me. I am a single mom and I am all my kids have.
So I have made a commitment to myself that this is the last time I "try" to lose weight. I have been faithfully logging in all of my eating even on Thanksgiving though I wasn't really trying to stay within my calorie count that day since I decided I would give myself 2 days off which is Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have had some days that I didn't do so great but all and all I am doing pretty good and best of all I have become consistent with logging my food which I think makes a world of difference. Since restarting this journey on here at the end of October, I have lost about 9 pounds and 5 1/2 inches over all.
I am doing this because I want to feel healthy again and I want to like the person I see in the mirror and right now I don't have either of those. I know this is going to be a long journey. I didn't gain this weight over night and it won't come off that quickly either but I feel more determined now than I have ever and I hope with God's help that I will finally win this battle.

Replies

• ankdworak
    ankdworak Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Great job! You can do this. Happy to help with accountability. Ankdworak
  • AshleyNicolePedigo
    Options
    You can do it! We have similar journeys. I just started my weightloss journey back in Sept and I'm down 24 pounds so far. Logging everything I eat has made all the difference! and it might be a long journey but worth it in the end!!! Add me if you want a new friend!!
  • orchid8384
    Options
    Hello there made4more71!! First off, don't feel discourage, it's a wonderful thing you are doing for yourself and your children. Congratulations!!

You're post really made me feel for you. I was the same. I am 4'11" (short, I know) and before I had my two children, I was at 98 pounds. Then after my last child in 2005, I skyrocketed to 198! It has been a long and hard road. I've fallen off the wagon more times then I'd like to admit. I've tried every diet pill/fad/detox/trend out there and never seem to lose more than a couple pounds only to gain triple those pounds back when I stop taking those pills. I've even gone so far as to set up dieting groups in my area so that all my friends and I can work out together to motivate each other....which doesn't work because eventually everyone gets busy and you're alone and no longer want to work out.

I am now at 146.6 and am only intending to get to about 115. Through it all, here's what I found:

1. DON'T VIEW THIS AS A DIET!! I think the number one reason why I failed so many times before was that I would go from diet to diet in order to lose weight. It's not a diet!! It's a healthier change in your eating habits. Don't eat less to lose weight, choose better portion sizes, and better food groups to eat healthier and live longer. I now eat tons of veggies, and fruits per week whereas before I would go weeks without touching anything but meat and rice. I think if you change your mentality from diet to eating healthier, it's easier to lose weight.

2. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY. I think that our bodies are very smart. Before, I would listen to experts after experts all on differing viewpoints on what we should eat and what we shouldn't. It gets extremely overwhelming and intimidating after awhile, not to mention how expensive some food are. But I think that if we just listen to our bodies, it'd tell us what we should eat and what we shouldn't. Does it make you sick, bloated, gassy, headaches, migraines, depression, etc.? Then don't eat it. I'm Asian and therefore rice is a huge part of our daily meal but it always made me bloated and sick. Pork, beef, and bread gives me a lot of stomach problems. Thus, rice, pork, beef, and bread are no longer in my meals. I haven't had any headaches, depression, stomach problems since. The foods that your body doesn't agree with will always be different. We are all different people with different bodies. Just listen to your body and do what your body tells you.

3. DRINK LOTS OF WATER. My biggest problem in the past was not drinking water...mostly sodas, lol. I never felt good and never even connected the two. Now I ONLY drink water and I feel sooooo good all day.

4. BTN!! Better than nothing. My favorite Humanities teacher and her words to me. Do something, even if it's a little of something, it's better than nothing! Oh, how I love her!! Awesome words to live by. You don't have to run a marathon, climb a mountain, race an avalanche down (I think;-)) etc., you just need to do for you. Every day, do something, even if it's all you can do that day, it's better than nothing. If you have a goal of running a marathon, that's great! But seriously, if you compare yourself to all these fit athletes, you'll only feel discourage. I know some people are going to say, "but you should look to them for inspiration and encouragement!" Ummm, no! All I see is what I'm not! It makes me feel small. Go at your own pace.

5. Another great quote from my Student Advisor; What you eat in private, shows in public!!

At the end of the day, it is your body. Don't worry too much about dieting and focus on feeding your body better. Instead of cheap gas, find premium gas. Fuel your body in a way that feeds your soul, your mind and allows you to live long.

These are my opinions learned from my mistakes and experiences. Everyone's experiences differ. Do your research for your own body without trying to eat for anyone else's body. Good luck and feel free to friend me!!
  • orchid8384
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with any diet pills. Just focus on eating healthier.
    Also....losing weight is a lonely road. Don't use others as a crutch because once they all fall off the wagon, you're alone again.
    And for me, it's better to only have one cheat meal a week, instead of one cheat day. The whole day is harder to come back from. Even if it's a cheat meal, I'm still thinking about what makes me feel better. When I go out to eat with friends once a week, I'm seeing yummy arugula salad with salmon, or yummm...shrimp ceviche. I stay away from the pizzas, nachos, burgers (although I've had a breadless portabella mushroom burger, oh man, so good). So just eating healthier, making healthier choices, and doing your BTN's on exercising daily will have you thinking and seeing food in a whole new way!!
    When my friends ask me if I'm on a diet, I tell them nope! I'm just making healthier decisions now.