anybody else do the same thing?

Options
Does anybody else run when upset or you have alot on your mind?

I just gave seventy minutes of my life to the gym; extra today because my heart is hurting and I was hoping she would give me back some comfort....& yet somehow I still feel like running until my lungs scream.

Replies

• WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    Sorry you are hurting. When I hurt I usually just want to crawl into bed and pull the covers over my head and sleep. At least you are doing something productive. Hope things get better for you!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you are hurting right now. Cheer up, this too shall pass. :heart:
  • Hammie18
    Hammie18 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I run or lift weights, but I prefer running when upset. It's therapeutic.

I also clean when I'm angry at my husband. Then he starts to clean because he doesn't want me to show him up. Then when the whole house is cleaned, we look at each other and say we should get into arguments more often.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are in a rough patch. If you ever need someone to talk to pray with you, I am here. Just message me. But yes, I can say when I have been really up set and had a car I would totally go and take it out at the gym. You know it!:smile:
  • FluffyMamaNeeds2Lose
    FluffyMamaNeeds2Lose Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I clean when I'm angry or upset too... when my husband hears me clanging dishes around or slamming cupboard doors he knows hes in for a good ear full when I'm done lol
  • SashaSpells
    SashaSpells Posts: 86
    Options
    I also clean when I'm angry at my husband. Then he starts to clean because he doesn't want me to show him up. Then when the whole house is cleaned, we look at each other and say we should get into arguments more often.

Hahaha, that's awesome. made me smile =) Thanks for sharing.
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I run or do some extremely energy draining workout. Depending on if I'm mad or not I'll throw on the boxing gloves or do a little Tae Bo if I don't feel like driving anywhere. It's not uncommon to channel stress into fitness, just make sure you are careful with it. Don't want to hurt yourself.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I clean when I'm angry or upset too... when my husband hears me clanging dishes around or slamming cupboard doors he knows hes in for a good ear full when I'm done lol

Dang right, I so concur with that one!
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    im sorry your hurting:(

i clean when im stressed, if im angry i usaully storm off and walk and walk and walk , i once walked for 2 hours when i had an argument with my sister and husband , we were on a narrowbaot and i got off and just stormed of walked for 2 hours with nothing on my feet and did not realise my hubby was behind me trying to catch me up , my friends now joke that they will get me angry before i do any type of exercise.

i hope you feel better soon
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Exercise PERIOD when I'm pissy/upset is amazing. I always always feel better after.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I will go on a run when I need to clear my head.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Yup, usually I just go for a walk @ a sucluted location where I can be by myself. Hope things get better for you.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I am sorry your hurting today. but to answer your question, I am actually the opposite i find it hard to concetrate and get a good work out when i am upset..
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I turned my hurt into motivation to get into shape. This will pass and you will be a stronger person.
  • rjsbailey
    rjsbailey Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I get the same desire- to run until I am in pain because then i feel like I can purge whatever it is that is really hurting me- it is cleansing to run and DH doesn't get it- says it is too hard on the knees- doesn't understand when I beg him to watch the kids so i can go run (we home-school so I don't get any time away from kids during day right now). It does wonders for the mind and emotional health. Anyway, I hope your day gets better and your hurting heart will heal!
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    That's what started it for me..... I was 272lbs when my high school sweet heart left me my senior year in college. I've dropped 90 lbs. I'd run or hit the gym to wear myself out so I couldn't think anymore...
  • SashaSpells
    Options
    Along these same lines & to further the discussion, I had a girl I knew (not a very credible source, I realize) tell me if you work out when you're stressed, you might as well not work out because it won't do you any good. Since my HRM says I burned 771 calories, I find that hard to believe. But, what do you think? She said she read it in an article in a magazine that said it was ineffective because of the psychological aspect or something like that? IDK.

Thoughts? Opinions?
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    i think that's baloney. I have had a far larger share of stress than normal these last 19 months, and I have still exercised, burned calories, and lost a bunch of weight. I lost my first 30 pre-stress, and the next 30 post-stress. So the stress thing is baloney, IMHO
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I have found running to be a great stress release and diversion from the general suck of life sometimes. Not sure if it is the endorphins or the focus or what but it works. I think the punching bags at the gym look great for this too, but I am just scared they will knock me down, and that is not cool.
  • SashaSpells
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone =) The supprt was most helpful for me getting through the day =)