Help with my diet and workout routine...

Options
Hi MFP!
So I started dieting per MFPs macros and calories around 6 weeks ago. I eat 1460 cals 164carbs/24fat/164protein/25 fiber/45 sugar. I am 5'4 28 yr old female and weigh 140 lbs.
I kickbox (with bags, not just cardio kickbox) 4 times a week and I have been starting to do a little weight lifting 2 days a week. I have started reading NROL4W, and I'd like to really start incorporating a designated lifting routine. Am I eating too little for lifting?
I initially lost 15 lbs and now Im at a total plateau. Anyone have any advice on my diet and or fitness? Im a newbie. I'll take any help I can get!

Replies

• leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    have you tried calculating your TDEE? I know my goal is between 1500-2000 calories/day MFP has me at 1550, so i days i workout i eat a little more (198lbs 5'5' F). My suggestion is if you haven't already calculate your TDEE to encorporate those exercise calories so you dont neet to worry about trying to figure out how many calories you're burning/need to eat from strength traning
  • mrsformaldehyde
    mrsformaldehyde Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    have you tried calculating your TDEE? I know my goal is between 1500-2000 calories/day MFP has me at 1550, so i days i workout i eat a little more (198lbs 5'5' F). My suggestion is if you haven't already calculate your TDEE to encorporate those exercise calories so you dont neet to worry about trying to figure out how many calories you're burning/need to eat from strength traning

TDEE is 1917.So on the days I workout I should try to eat closer to that amount?
  • leooftheyear
    Options

TDEE is 1917.So on the days I workout I should try to eat closer to that amount?

yes, that would be my recommendation, and closer to your BMR on days you do not work out. I was actually doing WW for about 6 weeks and once i started ramping up the exercise i was getting light headed at the gym so i reevaluated and upped my calories :smile: hope this helps
  • mrsformaldehyde
    mrsformaldehyde Posts: 8 Member
    Options

yes, that would be my recommendation, and closer to your BMR on days you do not work out. I was actually doing WW for about 6 weeks and once i started ramping up the exercise i was getting light headed at the gym so i reevaluated and upped my calories :smile: hope this helps

and did you still have weight loss? Mine has stopped and sometimes i wonder if thats why
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    on WW i did lose weight (i lost about 10lbs in 6 weeks) but it was unnecessarily quick, now i am just more careful and i going to see sticking to a little higher number for 6 weeks then reevaluate. If you calculated TDEE is correct you should still lose weight if you did the calculations correct (for m 198 @ 5'5' my BMR with a 15% reduction is 1698 with no exercise, if i add in the exercise its 2238) so i eat inbetween those 2 numbers depending on the day and how much exercise i got :smile:

When i did it before i was seeing results, but then i stopped goiing to the gym and my eating was just attorcious, which is why i went back on WW to clean up my eating :smile: and it worked just not eating enough
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    also make sure you are weighing and measuring EVERYTHING you eat and are logging accurately and honestly.... that was why i gained the weight back that i had lost
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

This works both ways and the MFP net calories method has its own advantages.
    You find the method which you prefer.

Reasons I prefer net calories are because:

It doesnt take exercise for granted, meaning if you dont exercise they you still dont jeopardise your calorie deficit.

It allows you to exercise some weeks and not others, if thats how it happens. This eat what you burn or eat a % of what you burn acts as an incentive to move more and exerience the benefits in eatback calories if you wish to use them. Just makes me feel more in control and as though im keeping on top of it.

The disadvantage is it can mean your calorie allowance varies during the week, but I tend to base my calorie allowance based on what MFP gives me on a sednetary lifestyle and use exercise calories as an optional extra, sometimes I use them and others I dont.

Just pick the method that you feel most comfy with.
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »

This works both ways and the MFP net calories method has its own advantages.
    You find the method which you prefer.

Reasons I prefer net calories are because:

It doesnt take exercise for granted, meaning if you dont exercise they you still dont jeopardise your calorie deficit.

It allows you to exercise some weeks and not others, if thats how it happens. This eat what you burn or eat a % of what you burn acts as an incentive to move more and exerience the benefits in eatback calories if you wish to use them. Just makes me feel more in control and as though im keeping on top of it.

The disadvantage is it can mean your calorie allowance varies during the week, but I tend to base my calorie allowance based on what MFP gives me on a sednetary lifestyle and use exercise calories as an optional extra, sometimes I use them and others I dont.

Just pick the method that you feel most comfy with.

I agree, the reason i suggested the TDEE was based on the fact that the OP said they were doing a lot of strength training and there's really no way to account for the calories burned during strength traning. I completely agree with you on the MFP calories, i know what my range for TDEE is based on my calculations but rely mostly on MFP and will be more reliant on calories burned from my fitbit once i get it for christmas :smile:
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    I just wanted to follow up, i got weighted in last night and after eating between that calorie range depending on days i work out, i lost .4lbs, which is right where my losses should be for the week vs when i was on Weight Watchers and losing 1-3lbs/week.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You started 6 weeks ago. You're not at a plateau. A plateau is 4-6 weeks of no change on the scale. You lost 15 pounds, I have to imagine that was not in a few days or even 1-2 weeks. So you're looking at 1-2 or maybe even 3 weeks of steady state? GIve it more time.

Your body is going to fluctuate. Sodium, stress, sleep, TOM, etc. will factor into your water weight. Do you weigh less today than 30 days ago? If so, that is a good sign.

With that being said, based on height/weight .5 pounds per week is probably the right loss rate for you. Which may mean a higher intake level - but also will mean accuracy is important.
    Hi MFP!
    So I started dieting per MFPs macros and calories around 6 weeks ago. I eat 1460 cals 164carbs/24fat/164protein/25 fiber/45 sugar. I am 5'4 28 yr old female and weigh 140 lbs.
    I kickbox (with bags, not just cardio kickbox) 4 times a week and I have been starting to do a little weight lifting 2 days a week. I have started reading NROL4W, and I'd like to really start incorporating a designated lifting routine. Am I eating too little for lifting?
    I initially lost 15 lbs and now Im at a total plateau. Anyone have any advice on my diet and or fitness? Im a newbie. I'll take any help I can get!

• galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi im 5 ft 5 and 134lbs I eat around 1600 cals I have 4lbs to lose ideally but im focusing more on my health stamina and strength im currently doing 30 day shred id recommend it as a beginner programme in strength.