Any input on quick and easy on-the-go food?

Options
Hello! I am new to the group and was just curious what are some of your favorite on-the-go kind of foods? I work a 10 hour day and not much time to break for lunch so I am looking for some good healthy snacks and easy lunches. Thank you in Advance :)

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Lunch, leftovers from the night before.
    • Hummus with crackers or cucumber slices
    • Edamame seed pods
    • Greek yogurt single serve containers
    • Protein bars cut in half
    • Fruit, duh!
    • Laughing cow light cream cheese wedge
    • Pre-portioned nuts and pretzels

I buy a big block of light old cheddar, slice it all in to single serve portions, wrap in saran wrap and bag the whole thing in the freezer. I take one portion of cheese a day.

I heavily use snack size ziplocs to pre-portion my snacks.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    When you have leftovers from dinner, portion them up in individual containers when you put things away at night. You may end up with lots of small containers in your fridge and/or freezer, but it's just one thing to grab and it's already ready for you for lunch.
  • AdelleDazeem
    AdelleDazeem Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I usually make enough dinner for leftovers, or take a sandwich wrap with some fruit and mini crackers/pretzels. Soups are also quick. My favorite cookbook for lunches/breakfasts to take to work is "So Easy" by Ellie Krieger.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    In a blender: 1/2 avocado, 1 cup kale, 2 scoops your choice protein powder, rice milk/almond milk/whatever liquid you like. Take and go. You get your veggies and protein and fullness and it's easy peezy.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    make a wrap with leftovers, also take raw veggies, string cheese, a banana, individual yogurts.
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This isn't an every day thing for me, but I keep a stash of Graze boxes at work for when I'm in a pinch or need to be on the go. They keep me honest/healthy when I get the munchies after lunch - no resorting to the vending machine at work for me! They've got some really great mixes - seeds, nuts, and flavor-infused raisins that are to die for (and... this is coming from someone who hates raisins).

https://www.graze.com/us/p/VDGTRDZJU

(full disclosure: that's my invite code, and I'll get $1 off a box if you use that link to join Graze. My statement still stands though, Graze rocks!)
  • glamgrljess22
    glamgrljess22 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Lunch, leftovers from the night before.
    • Hummus with crackers or cucumber slices
    • Edamame seed pods
    • Greek yogurt single serve containers
    • Protein bars cut in half
    • Fruit, duh!
    • Laughing cow light cream cheese wedge
    • Pre-portioned nuts and pretzels

I buy a big block of light old cheddar, slice it all in to single serve portions, wrap in saran wrap and bag the whole thing in the freezer. I take one portion of cheese a day.

I heavily use snack size ziplocs to pre-portion my snacks.

I always love your answers. Stealing the whole list I need to do better with my lunches at work.
  • mamagirl49
    mamagirl49 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just found these a few weeks ago and am loving them. Easy to make & take. Filling and yummy. http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/2014/11/pumpkin-pie-power-bites/
  • HappilyRubina
    HappilyRubina Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Salad jars with yogurt. I also swear by carrying single serve pouches of instant oatmeal. Mix it with yogurt just before eating. Gives me complex carbs plus proteins. :)
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    Leftover chicken makes a great goto snack between meals (like Pizza, its one of those things that taste almost as good cold as hot).

Also keep nearby
    • Cashews (or other favoured nut)
    • Trail mix
    • Goji/Cran -Berries
    • Protein bars (my fave: Zone, same guilty pleasure as candy bar, but healthier)
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I cook a whole bunch of chicken at once, weigh it out into baggies and then I don't have to actually cook for a few days. Saves time, no excuses for not eating what is already cooked in the fridge, and I can take it with me where ever I go.
  • Cortney0216
    Options
    Thank you! That helps a lot. I love to munch and it's hard to keep my mind off of eating or being hungry when I stare at a computer for 10 hours. I am going to have to try the hummus.. i've never had it before.
  • txteachermom
    txteachermom Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Breakfast for me is always a smoothie (I pre-portion and freeze so that all I have to do is pick out a bag, add almond milk/greek yogurt, and go) and fruit. For lunch I typically have a turkey sandwich or wrap with carrots, some kind of fruit, quaker flavored rice cakes, and yogurt. I keep fruit, cereal bars, trail mix, raisins, almonds, and weight watchers chocolate creme cakes in my desk for snacks. And I always pack extra fruit in my lunch kit as well for snacks.
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    I work a 10 hour day and not much time to break for lunch
    That's no way to live, man. :'(

My go to snacks are raw almonds, canned pineapple, yogurt, apples, and beef jerky. I also keep tuna packets and chunky soup in my desk for emergencies. :)