Getting frustrated...stuck at the same weight for 11 days...

Options
I don't know what's going on, but I've been stuck at the same weight for 11 days. This comes after a phenomenal first month of diet and exercise.

I've been very particular and very good about my diet. I plan my day for food, add up every morsel that goes into my mouth and log it. I exercise with a heart rate monitor and I've been pushing myself for more and more intensity. Yet...no loss in 11 days. In fact, truth be told, just after my weigh in at 219 lbs 11 days ago, I went up 2 lbs and have been hovering at 221 since then.

I am due for that time of the month, perhaps a bit overdue (no - not a chance in the world of being pregnant), but my goodness, will I plateau for almost 2 weeks every month? This is very discouraging. I keep plodding along though.

Replies

• tu9387
    tu9387 Posts: 2
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I started working out Mid March, the 12th, doing a pretty intense Boot Camp 3 mornings a week. When I weighed in mid-April, I had lost a half inch off my hips, gained a half inch on my waist, and had only lost 3lbs. Since then..I've lost NOTHING. I track all of my foods, wear a GoWearFit to track my calories burned, and for the past month have added at least 30 minutes of cardio 3 days a week, on top of boot camp. NOTHING. I'm seriously losing my mind, lol.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? You need 8-10 glasses per day to remain properly hydrated. Your diary isn't showing you drinking much. A quick look at your diary says you either aren't or aren't logging it. Water helps us to flush out our systems and keeps us regular.

Also are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • stefraab
    stefraab Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me. Have patience. Stop weighing yourself. (I weighed myself but didn't log it unless it was down).
    I bounced between 169 and 171 for at least 11 days.... if not more. Then all of a sudden, 2lbs down almost.
    I assume it was water weight, or body adjustment, or something.

If it really doesn't shift, people have other advice on here like increasing calories, or fluctuating them, but I can't give advice on that.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I second the water comment. If I slack off on the water consumption my weight loss slows, when I drink a lot of water it stays good. I usually shoot for this goal in water consumption: Divide your weight in pounds in half and that is the number of ounces of water your should drink.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I hit a stand still sometimes around my time of the month. or maybe try switching up your work out or your food
  • cypridae
    cypridae Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for a month and haven't lost a thing. Some suggested I wasn't eating enough,so I added a little more.Nothing. I didn't think I was eating enough fat just because i tend not to eat much fat. Nothing.Of course someone will scream about water intake. That has never had any impact on my weight and in fact research says there is no correlation between that 8-10 glass rule and weight loss.You're not alone in being frustrated.
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I also found truth that it takes about 3 months to see a noticable change. That is what happened with me
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It could be just your body hanging on.. and then... BOOM you lose a pound a day for a few days, which makes up for the "no loss" earlier. Sometimes that happens to me.

Couple things...
    1) Did you just finish up a low carb, or shake-type diet before starting this one?
    2) Did you Are you eating at least 1200 calories?
    3) Are you eating too late at night?
    4) Are you eating too much sodium?
    5) Could you be eating too much sugar?

If none of those are your problem:
    1) Check with your doctor to make sure your thyroid is in order.
    2) Have the doctor also check for insulin resistance.

If all that is normal, here are some metabolism boosting ideas:
    1) Try a few jumping jacks here and there throughout the day.
    2) Try adding weight lifting (don't have to be large weights)
    3) Try smaller meals spread throughout the day
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I forgot...
    1) Be sure to eat breakfast... to get your metabolism going in the morning
    2) If you aren't disgusted by tea... Green tea might help boost your metabolism too.
    3) Calcium is supposed to help to (not sure how or why)

Keep plugging along... don't give up. And if you want to open your food diary, we might be able to help you even more.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    This may or may not have anything to do with it but I have a fitness instructor on my friends list who says that the HRM way over estimated his calories burned so he never suggests his clients use them. He said he uses a bodybug and I *think* he said it registers at like half the calories burned then his HRM did. *shrug* Just thought i'd throw it out there.

*Oh yeah, and measure measure measure! The scale doesn't always track our progress accurately.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Your body may be readjusting to the new weight. Plateaus are common. Enjoy them in the meantime. In fact, you can probably get it to start moving by increasing your intake a bit, like by 100 - 200 calories more. Or try cycling your calories on a daily basis.

See: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/212510-how-to-zig-zag-cals-properly-caloric-cycling-properly

Once your body is ready to start losing weight, it will happen. Don't stress over it. And to reiterate, the scale isn't always the best measure of progress. In the end, they're just numbers.
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I've been stuck for 2 weeks now. Same thing happened to me with weight watchers though when I first started that so I'm not too worried. Just carry on eating properly, exercising and making sure you drink enough water. Time of month plays havoc with my weight, I usually gain then drop whatever I gain plus a bit more when it's over.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Same thing happened to me - lost 5 pounds no problem in the first month, gained back a few during vacation and suffering with a cold, got back down but then couldn't push past a 5 pound total loss. I got really frustrated and then figured out what I needed to do...

I was set at a 1 pound per week goal, ate back all my exercise calories and would go over my calorie goal 1-3 days per week. So I figured out that I needed a bit more wiggle room and changed my goal to 1.5 pounds per week. I also started using my HRM more regularly to make sure I was getting the right calorie count on my workouts. And after reading a thread about calorie burn during strength training, I only log half of what my HRM says I burn during those sessions. So far it's working for me and I've lost 3 more pounds!
  • Pangea250
    Pangea250 Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement. Jeff...yes, I am logging all my water. No, I'm not drinking enough. :ohwell:

My diet and exercise are good, I've got to have faith in that. It helps to know that others go through this. I know plateaus happens...I just didn't expect it so early in my weight loss effort. Have no doubt, though: I'm not giving up. I'm in this for the long haul. I want to eat healthy and be healthy. I will do whatever it takes.

Besides, I already sent in the fee to run a 5K in June. I'm committed. (Or is it that I should *be* committed???)

Thanks all!
  • myvenus
    myvenus Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm with you Pangea...I just started (1 month in) and lost 4 only but I WILL NOT give up and am in this for the long haul....Add me as a friend if you wish, we can chug along together :happy:
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I was about to post something similar...in terms of how slow weight loss has been. Based on my calculations, I should be losing more than I have been, based on my exercise and calories. I will continue to persevere, since I definitely feel better, but have been feeling frustrated with how SLOW it's been.
  • gnalani
    gnalani Posts: 126
    Options
    I totally completely understand. I bounce from 218 to 223. End of February I was 218, then I gained 5 lbs and have been hovering there for the past two months. It's frustrating. Try talking to a personal trainer. You might have hit a plateau.