New but not New

Options
Ok, so I am needing/wanting to lose weight. I am a 30 year old female, 5'8", 236 lbs. I have dropped 60 lbs, ended up gaining back 20 lbs, so here I am again ready to melt off the rest of this fat. So my question is this, and I have read and researched until I confused myself majorly so here goes: I want to lose 2 lbs. per week, my BMR is 1,839, I plan on doing Zumba daily, which I usually burn between 800 to 1,000 calories per class. So how do I figure out what I should be eating calorie wise? Also, I know that in the MFP you can set up your goals, it asks about your fitness level, well I have a desk job so for roughly 8 hours of the day I am at a desk, not doing a whole lot of walking or hard work. So my other question is this, do I choose sedentary, or do I choose the one that says I work out daily. Because as of right now I do not work out daily, I just plan on doing so.

Replies

• ankdworak
    ankdworak Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I would set up mfp manually. I would also set your goal calories at 1600 to start with, do that for 2-3 weeks and see what your results are with that. You will want to move your calories up over time. If you are working out every day you may even want to start at 1800 calories per day for 2-3 weeks and see where you land. I just got done with a pretty intense kickboxing class for 10 weeks, was eating 1500-1600 cal per day. Worked out 5 days per week burned over 1000 cal/day for 1/2 the week and the other half I averaged 500-600 cal/day burn. I average 1.5 pounds lost per week during that time. Feel free to add me for support. ankdworak
  • lacyn84
    lacyn84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks ankdworak!! I have added you as a friend!!! Thanks for the advice!!!
  • Toria718
    Toria718 Posts: 396 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    if your bmr is 1839 that means that is what your body is using in a coma type state, i like to use tdee and -20%, you can choose sedentary for now but like what was stated before adjust over time as you get used to the routine, your body may require more or less than what you have set. if it hasnt been stated before tdee is total daily energy expenditure. you can look online for a calculator or the one i like is http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

edited to fix a spelling error.