Getting fit after surgery and illness

Options
Hi All,

I hope you're all well and reaching your goals?

I wondered if anyone has any helpful advice for me... I have been very ill for a few years and have undergone yet another surgery. The doctors have advised gentle walking and their advice is helpful. I just wondered if anyone has any gentle exercise ideas for me as well as walking?

Thanks for your help.

Take care

K

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yoga
  • ShadeBlossom
    ShadeBlossom Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just recovered from a major abdominal surgery, also. My doctor suggested swimming and walking. Good luck to you!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I was sick for a few years as well. After a few weeks after major surgeries, walking in the pool wasn't bad. What area are you trying to cushion from everything?
  • megstoo
    megstoo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Yoga

It depends on what the surgery was for. I had back surgery and was told NO yoga because I needed to protect the disc's. I couldn't do anything for a min of 6 months and then after that it was low impact workouts. It's been 2 years for me and my doc still doesn't want yoga.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your specific illness and surgery. What it good for recovering one body part might be horrible for another body part. Even within spinal injuries, for example, what is good for some might not help with others. I actually have to limit my walking when I have flare ups with my degenerative discs and pretty much all I can do is physical therapy exercises, bike and some stuff in the pool.

One low impact exercise that doesn't get much attention is chair aerobics, but again, check with your doctor/physical therapist.
  • MrsSmith24102014
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your replies, I really appreciate the advice and am thinking of swimming and walking after seeing your posts. I've had a pretty rough ride of cancer and crohns disease over the last 4 years so really need to build that strength back up.

I asked for your advice as I am trying to be sensible and not over do it, but also see if you guys have had similar experience.

Thank you again all, I will get cracking :smile:
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Another low-impact exercise is using a recumbent stationary bicycle. You can go as slowly as you need to go, and because you're lying backwards on the seat, you don't put the same strain on your core and your shoulders as a traditional bicycle (and you don't have to put up with the terrible saddles on most stationary bikes!). Good luck with your recovery!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Walking and some simple range of motion each morning works for me at this point because I was so weak at the start.

Hope you continue to progress to recovery well.
  • MrsSmith24102014
    Options
    Afternoon,

Thank you again for your ideas. I will try and incorperate these things into a routine for me.

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

I hope you're all well and reaching your goals?

I wondered if anyone has any helpful advice for me... I have been very ill for a few years and have undergone yet another surgery. The doctors have advised gentle walking and their advice is helpful. I just wondered if anyone has any gentle exercise ideas for me as well as walking?

Thanks for your help.

Take care

K

Do what your doctor says. As the walking gets easier for you, ask him/her what more you can do as you want to start recovering your fitness. They should be able to map out a plan and perhaps some physical therapy to get you to where you want to be. Good luck!