Another fitness tracker band post..I'm so confused!

Options

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Someone please report back as to the HR accuracy on the Surge?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Someone please report back as to the HR accuracy on the Surge?

Here's a link to the Fitbit forums for the Surge specifically. Users have been providing feedback on that.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Surge/bd-p/surge

Here's one for the Charge HR as well.

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-HR/bd-p/chargeHR
  • jennkaotic
    jennkaotic Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    So does anyone have the Charge or ChargeHR? I am really on the fence between the Peak and the ChargeHR. I am concerned about the screen on the ChargeHR being readable in bright sunlight. If you have a heart rate tracker and you want to monitor during work outs it really needs to be viewable in the sunlight. I would love the UP3 but no screen would make it hard to use while running.
  • Kasuad
    Kasuad Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just got my Surge from USPS. It linked up easily to my PC and is now updating. Switched on my phone to link it, but it already did that automatically. Super easy and sizing on me looks good. Not big, not small. Probably going to go with the analog watch face.

I'm sure you can google and find pictures and videos of the Charge HR and Surge side by side.

• JDownie91
    JDownie91 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    mtgrzz wrote: »
    My price point is under $200. My main exercises are walking and machine exercises at that gym (the elipitical) and I don't believe any of them will measure steps on the machines, which I'm fine with. What I'm looking for is:

- sleep monitor (would prefer it to just realize when I'm sleeping)
    - calories burned
    - suggestions on making strides to achieve goals
    - Reminders to move,
    - Constant heart rate monitor- I know the UP3 only does resting right now but I'm ok with that since they say it will do the other.

The ones I am looking at now are:

Jawbone UP3
    Microsoft Band
    Basis Peak

Basis Peak all the way!! $200 is right at what you're looking to spend. It measures steps, even on the treadmill, and monitors heart rate 24/7. I haven't tried it on the elliptical but I imagine it would recognize your exercise on that, too. Automatically monitors sleep, tells you calories burned, and the app/website has "Habits" which are goals to strive for each day and to get a certain number of days each week. I've had mine just over a month and I love it. It has helped me stay dedicated to my fitness!!
    As long as you have a device that it can sync with, you're good to go! Here's the info: Mobile Compatibility—
    •iPhone: The Basis Peak app for iPhone is compatible with the following devices using iOS 7 or higher: iPod Touch (5th Generation), iPhone 6, iPhone 6+, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, and iPhone 4s
    •Android: The Basis Peak Android app supports the following Android 4.4.2 BLE or above: Samsung Galaxy S5, Samsung Galaxy S4, LG Nexus 5, Samsung Note III, HTC One (m80)
    from https://store.mybasis.com/

Hope this helps!!
  • frojive
    frojive Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have used several fitness trackers throughout the years including one of the first fitbits made. Here is what I can tell you. I have compared them side by side in many ways. At the end of the day I will hold out for the UP3. I have been waiting this long I might as well wait for what I believe will be the best product. I have not been a fan of previous ups because it was just an overgrown pedometer.

So in the past I was a bodybug all the way for the win! Just a year ago it was the best fitness device out there. Everything else were just step counters. What you need to know is that jawbone (makers of up) bought out BodyMedia (makers of bodybug) about a year ago. They have since taken that technology and placed it in the UP3 and improved upon it. The only other tracker that really comes close is the Basis Peak from what I can tell, and maybe the apple watch.

What is separating UP3 over all the other fitness trackers OPTICAL HART RATE SCANNER. This is an important fact because they have been proven in the past to be very unreliable. Why does this matter because they are using that information to help calculate your calorie burn. Cnet did a very good review on the effectiveness of these type of monitors. UP3 is the only one on the market that I know of that is not using it. Most likely the reason it can’t give you an active rate.

If you want an active rate you are better off with a chest strap, but that’s not practical to ware all day.

The other thing to note about UP3 and also Basis Peak is that they have auto detection. That means you don’t have to tell your tracker what you did. UP3 will eventually also learn your activities if it can’t figure it out at first. UP3 also promises to detect weightlifting.

All and all I have used and know that the bodybug tech was awesome compared to the rest. I did consider Basis Peak, but through many friends and other reports that there data was not reliable. That’s what I hear I have not tried it out myself.

If you do want a UP3 just spoke to them and it looks like it’s not shipping until 2015 they are hoping early January.
  • frojive
    Options
    The thing that worries me about the Basis Peak is its trying to be to many things. Also keep in mind battery life. Peak is also trying to be a smartwatch. UP3 is just trying to be a fitness tracker. To me the old saying here “Jack of all trades master of none”. UP3 has been known for their smartphone app interface and it does pull into MFP and health kit on iphone.
  • mtgrzz
    mtgrzz Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks frojive! I keep trying to justify getting another one because I really wanted to start the new year off right with the tracker but I keep coming back to the UP3. Did they tell you why the delay?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Thanks frojive! I keep trying to justify getting another one because I really wanted to start the new year off right with the tracker but I keep coming back to the UP3. Did they tell you why the delay?

It's not really a delay. It was always stated in press releases and reviews that the release for the Up3 was going to be early 2015.

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I was interested in the UP3 until I saw that it only reads resting heart rate. While I like knowing my resting heart rate, I want to be able to see my heart rate trends throughout the day and during my tracked workouts.
  • mtgrzz
    Options
    I agree, me too. That is going to be in future updates so I'm willing to wait. PikaKnight, I had received an email saying it would ship after the launch date of Dec. 22 but then had read somewhere that now it won't be released until mid-January because of issues so I was curious if they had said what the issues were.
  • frojive
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The first release date was slated for end of 2014 also seen where it was stated as "this winter". When I spoke with jawbone on Nov. 6th they were planning on it shipping prior to Christmas. I just spoke with them and it will now be early

Who knows with tech delays? About the only reliable company to hit their release dates is apple. Every other co. that I have preordered from always missis it.

If I wanted to get all conspiracy in marketing I would say it is the following, because it also looks like FitBit is holding back:
    They want their lower end models to sale during the Christmas season and capture the new year’s resolution dollars with the new device.
    For Christmas they are bought as a gift an most likely will want to pay less
    For New year resolution you are buying for yourself and are more willing to pay more for a better device with more features

Again that is just a wild crazy guess, but I do work in marketing and sales and we do think this way…just saying ;)

Either way if you going to drop some money i would really wait for the UP3 i think it will be the best and most reliable from what I have seen and used in the past.

Also I am not expert I have just been a user who does a LOT or research before I purchase something. It's just what I do because I don’t like making impulse purchases and wasting my money.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I agree, me too. That is going to be in future updates so I'm willing to wait. PikaKnight, I had received an email saying it would ship after the launch date of Dec. 22 but then had read somewhere that now it won't be released until mid-January because of issues so I was curious if they had said what the issues were.

Oh! My bad then. All the press stuff that I had been reading the past few months had kept stating early 2015. :(

But whether this was due to sales/marketing strategy or not, I hope they spend the extra time fixing any bugs :( I think the Charge HR (if not also the Surge) could have benefited from extra time working out a lot of the problems that have popped up instead of pushing for a "in time for Christmas" release date.
  • frojive
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    I was interested in the UP3 until I saw that it only reads resting heart rate. While I like knowing my resting heart rate, I want to be able to see my heart rate trends throughout the day and during my tracked workouts.

I understand this point and have been drawn to this as well but be careful with this. Optical HRs have been proven to be unreliable, so is it really worth it. The reason UP3 uses resting is because it can supposedly better calculate through algorithms what you actual caloric burn is. From what I understand like the bodybug it is taking your heart rate into account just not showing you what it is. I don’t know yet but I do hope UP app includes heart endurance. The old bodymedia app for the bug showed how many minutes you had as intense/moderate and resting heart rate zones. I would be surprised if they do not incorporate this into the new features of UP

If you want an accurate heart rate while exercising consider going with a device that pairs with a chest strap.
  • Kasuad
    Options

Gonna guess the promise of a simple patch after release to get constant heartrate isn't really that simple. Every major player that does constant heartrate where you're not wearing a strap uses optical sensors. You think Microsoft, Intel, Fitbit, MIO, Sony and others didn't think about it or know of bio-impedence? Maybe they were like bio-impedence is more accurate, but it just won't work for constant 24/7 on-demand look down and see what my heart is doing right now monitoring.

Honestly, I don't know. But what I do see is UP3 was releasing without constant heart rate with a promise of a patch for it later which just indicates to me they were not making their tracker with the abilitiy and are trying to figure out how to do so now.

People keep pointing how Jawbone is different and better for heart rate with bio impedence, but I haven't read one thing about how it actually works better as a wrist device compared to monitors with straps over your heart in actual use. I have found plenty of things to read about optical wrist heart monitors vs strap heart monitors and they do fine for some people, way off for others.

• mtgrzz
    Options
    The two things I like about the UP3 is that it will eventually be able to monitor hydration levels and stress levels. I'm still looking at others but probably will not cancel my pre-order.
  • frojive
    Options
    Kasuad wrote: »

Gonna guess the promise of a simple patch after release to get constant heartrate isn't really that simple. Every major player that does constant heartrate where you're not wearing a strap uses optical sensors. You think Microsoft, Intel, Fitbit, MIO, Sony and others didn't think about it or know of bio-impedence? Maybe they were like bio-impedence is more accurate, but it just won't work for constant 24/7 on-demand look down and see what my heart is doing right now monitoring.

Honestly, I don't know. But what I do see is UP3 was releasing without constant heart rate with a promise of a patch for it later which just indicates to me they were not making their tracker with the abilitiy and are trying to figure out how to do so now.

People keep pointing how Jawbone is different and better for heart rate with bio impedence, but I haven't read one thing about how it actually works better as a wrist device compared to monitors with straps over your heart in actual use. I have found plenty of things to read about optical wrist heart monitors vs strap heart monitors and they do fine for some people, way off for others.

the bodybug used some tech but from what I understand is bio-impedence is just improved upon what they were already using. It is now its own sensor.

I think what you are seeing with jawbone wanting to later release a constant heart rate patch is because the consumer believes that is what they want. So many other companies have it so they think they need it. What is the use of knowing your actual hart rate if it is not accurate? There are solid studies showing optical is not. That will give you an inaccurate calorie burn. You have to ask am i using a fitness tracker to lose weight or endurance train? If it is to lose weight an accurate calorie burn will be the most important.
  • frojive
    Options
    bottom line is you have to go with what you feel is the best device.

You can’t go wrong and you can’t swear by them but what they did do for me was very important in my weight loss. When the scale didn’t move I still saw that things were happening. It made weight loss a game for me, and ultimately helped in those times you get discouraged.

Through my research I feel that is the UP3 mostly due to building upon past Bodybug tech which hands down the most advance fitness tracker prior to the new wave of wearable’s.
  • Kasuad
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    What's funny is one of the Fitbit mods said they didn't have an official release date :laugh: They did a limited release before and now stores have it in stock. I don't know how much more official that has to get before they just announce it :laugh:

They're just mods on a forum, not really expecting too much from them, but in fact he did post a limited amount was being shipped to retailers and they should have it by th 14th of Decemeber. What's on the shelves now, if there are any left may be all there will be till the full release.

I like this a lot better than what Microsoft pulled with their Band, which I think was just to rush the for few thouands they had made to market and then just be "out of stock" till they crank out more. Kinda glad they were out of stock as the Surge works great for me and I don't feel like I have the wrong product.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    They are not on the shelves in my area. I checked at Target and Best Buy.