Shin splint problem..

Options
Hey guys I have always liked to run. For me, it feels like the best workout but i have always had problems w shin splints. Can anyone give me any tips on how to get rid of them? I also have problems w my sciatic nerve. These two problems have been bothering me on and off for about 5-6 yrs. They get so bad sometimes that it makes it hard to walk when i step off the treadmill.

Replies

• twhite2020
    twhite2020 Posts: 1
    Options
    Have you been fitted for the proper shoes for how you run? I had the same problem a few years back. I went to a store that specializes in running shoes, had someone watch me run and fit me in something that was more supportive for how my feet worked.
  • EZGruv
    EZGruv Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many of us suffer from shin splints. Hit that search button and type in shin splints; and set aside a couple hours for reading all the good tips that have been posted!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    As far as shin splints go, ice and stretch. Sit in a chair and point your toes out and spell the alphabet with your toes. This stretch worked wonders for my shin splints.
    Also if you haven't been properly fitted for running shoes, get fitted.
  • lilsweetslol
    lilsweetslol Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    there are some locations in your city that can actually hook up electrodes to your feet and meausure where your impact is the most on your foot. they can also make sure you are running the "right way"
    My sister in law had that done. they also made reccomendation about inserts because she had a overpronated arch that was causing shin splints...

however, after long runs I would Rest Ice Elevate my legs for a few because I get them too. :flowerforyou:
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    I would also suggest buying proper shoes but a recent study claims that type of shoe doesn't really play a big part as far as getting injured is concerned.
    It is more how you land when you run. Ankle strikers are more prone to injure their ankle and get shin splints and heel strikers are more prone to injure their knee. So a proper running technique and using your core muscles may help.
  • gaeljo
    gaeljo Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You are doing way too many miles too fast. I don't care how many miles you are doing, my experience with shin splints and the dozens of runners I"ve met along the way will all tell you the same thing, starting a running program is mostly walking at first. If you are getting shin splints, my guess is you are taking on too many miles or lengths of telephone polls or whatever your distance is too quickly. Shin splints are caused by your legs being underdeveloped. You have to build up your shins over time. So my suggestion is, start walking up steep hills, notice I say walk. If you want to run, say 3 miles, take 15 weeks to build up to that at least. If you still get shin splints, the deal is you are packing on too much too fast. They say no more than 10% a week should you build yourself up by. So let's say you are doing a walking program of 3 miles. You shouldn't be running more than 10% of that! In fact to start, I'd say .3 is too far to run. That's why hill walking is a great way to build yourself up. As for your hip pain, get properly fit with the right running shoes. Go to Fleet Feet and have them video your stride and recommend the right shoes for your foot strike. You can save yourself injury and pain. Spend big bucks on your running shoes. Not the cheap--o Walmart crap. I mean, don't be afraid to drop 100 on your shoes. Buy cheap-o running shorts, but not cheap shoes. There is a great website to google for running plans, http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml it's the couch potato to 5K running plan. If you are running and overweight you need to stretch that running plan out to 15 or more weeks. Good luck.