anyone know a cabbage soup recipe

Options
shaddowstorm
shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
edited December 2014 in Recipes
just would like a easy, tasty and cheap cabbage soup?
or and ideas what to do with cabbage?
thanks.

Replies

• blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It goes well with bacon! ;)
  • Teal4me
    Teal4me Posts: 104
    Options
    Tonight i made cabbage fry yummmmmm
  • Teal4me
    Teal4me Posts: 104
    Options
    Yes bacon like 2 pieces and onions if you like them. I also put in some tomato sauce and garlic
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I got a quick vegetable soup recipe on here that uses cabbage. It put in what veggies you have on hand (carrots, potato, onions, peas with cabbage) and then get Rotels Tomatoes and Peppers to put in with it to give it a bit of a kick. The recipe used a bag of coleslaw chopped cabbage and carrots and frozen soup vegetables but I just get them fresh. It is cheap and easy and I always seem to lose weight the week I make it.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Lillian's Slovak Cabbage Soup

1 small head cabbage, chopped
    1 16 oz can or package sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
    4 oz mushrooms, chopped
    2 packages Brown Gravy Mix
    1 Tbsp seasoned salt
    1/2 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp garlic powder

In large pot, boil cabbage until tender. Add sauerkraut and mushrooms and return to boil. Stir in brown gravy mix and seasonings. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 20 minutes.
  • cynthiamays55
    cynthiamays55 Posts: 1 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    With cabbage soups, which is the original stone soup basis, chopped or chunked cabbage, (be sure to cut out the stem in the middle that starts on the bottom of the head), throw in whatever other veggies you want, (I use 4 grated carrots most of the time), chopped onions, salt to taste, pepper, and use coriander! Fill the pot with water or broth to within an inch (1") from the top of the pot. That is what makes the cabbage flavor taste so good. Then you can serve it with a batch of cornbread, soda rye or teff bread, and a 1/4 c. or 2 slices of cheddar cheese.

The other way is to make cheese soup and add the cabbage to the chicken stock before adding the cheese.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's the famous cabbage soup fat-burning recipe. You can ignore all the advice that comes with it. It's still a great soup.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/cabbage-fat-burning-soup/
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    http://naturalfertilityandwellness.com/cabbage-and-meatball-soup/ I use this loosely as a base. I also love stuffed cabbage and cabbage carmelized in butter!
  • princessnarmor
    princessnarmor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I use a product called "better than boullion." It's a vegetable soup paste made from veggie stock. Add whatever you want from there. I add onions celery cabbage. I add cauliflower too, the main reason being, it is the only thing in the soup that is satisfying to me. I also add green peppers or red peppers, but that better than boullion vegetable paste is great even by itself, so you can create what you want.
  • foremaar012
    foremaar012 Posts: 60
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I cook some beef ( maybe 1.5lbs) or you can cut it for calories, cook some onion, celery,carrots, parsnips, mushrooms, cabbage, basically any veggie you want and then add 1/2 Low Sodium V8 Juice and 1/2beef stock boil and simmer till cabbage is tender. if you want you can make it more like a stew and keep the lid off and simmer longer or make it more soupy
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    I chop up a head along with some carrots and onions and throw them in the crock pot with chicken broth and seasonings. After it's cooked I add browned Italian turkey sausages and leave on low for about an hour.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Basic Freezable soup--- 1/2 head cabbage....cup carrots sliced.... cup frozen green beans......half onion....mushrooms......can low sodium chicken broth....2 tablespoon tomato paste.....Mrs Dash to season. No points 50 calories.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    IWTBFCIN3 wrote: »
    Basic Freezable soup--- 1/2 head cabbage....cup carrots sliced.... cup frozen green beans......half onion....mushrooms......can low sodium chicken broth....2 tablespoon tomato paste.....Mrs Dash to season. No points 50 calories.

You can add chicken or sausage after thawing from freezer.
  • scrappyhappymom
    scrappyhappymom Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This is called Chunky Vegetable Soup, it's an old recipe I found from a Weight Watchers Cook Book...

1.00 large, Onions - Raw
    1.00 Potato small (1-3/4" to 2-1/2" dia), Potato - Flesh and skin, raw
    4.00 cup(s), Chicken Stock
    2.00 stalk 7-8 inches long, Celery Stalk
    2.00 cup(s), Beans - Snap, green, raw
    3.00 cup(s), Cabbage - Raw
    0.25 cup, Grated Carrot
    0.25 Cup uncooked, Quiona
    1.00 sausage, Sausages Original Smokies 50% Less Fat (170 Cal Ea.)
    Nutrition Facts
    Servings 8.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 92
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 2 g 3 %
    Saturated Fat 0 g 2 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 6 mg 2 %
    Sodium 132 mg 6 %