Just to talk about it...

Options
**I'm not an english teacher, so please do NOT do a grammar, spelling, etc check, LOL**

As I sit here at work I cannot think of anything else but fitness and nutrition. How I want to know so much, but have such little time to actually learn about this. There is so much to know when it comes to building the body you find perfect.

Perfection. Let’s talk a little about that subject. This is a sensitive subject for some reason. Not for the person striving to be their vision of perfect, but for others to actually accept the individuals’ idea of perfection. I was the girl who always wanted to be skinny. Ugh, if only I could be a size 2 and have no butt, thighs, tiny waist and cosmetically enhanced boobs I would be ‘perfect’. Well let’s get real here; I was NEVER going to be that girl, ha-ha! I am 5’7, athletic built and well I have a butt as most of you can tell. The only thing I did was the last item on my list. I’m not really sure where skinny came into play as perfection, sexy, wanted, desired. It’s really strange. Every guy I have ever talked to ALWAYS said curves were better, but yet they dated the skinny girl…strange. That isn’t at all confusing, is it? Now on the flip side when you hear curves are better…this can swing a few different ways. It really depends on the individual’s idea of curves. In my opinion you can have too many curves, to little curves, toned curves, soft curves. But really, who is to say which is better? If I have learned anything from my dad I learned that just because I am interested in something doesn’t mean others are. With that said I never knock on any ones idea of perfection. If we all thought the same, looked the same and wanted the same things the entire world would be boring and not much fun.

Opinions. This goes right along with the 2nd paragraph about perfection. Everyone has an opinion, but something I have found out is not everyone wants to hear your opinion. They like talking about things they are interested in, but as a human we really do not care if you respond with the typical “Omg, yes I so know what you mean.” We really just want you to listen, nod your head and start a new subject. That’s how conversations work. The only time you can continually discuss weight loss, dieting, working out, etc is when that person also feels the same passion for it as you. For instance, my husband 200% supports my goals and only wants the best for me, but he does not have the passion for fitness or nutrition that I do. Now, I could constantly nag on him about his eating habits or workout habits…BUT I don’t! Those are my opinions and he has his as well. We all are not supposed to agree with each other. If we did we would be a robot, have no emotions, thoughts, etc. I understand that what I want to do, fitness wise will not be understood by many, many people. None the less that shouldn’t give anyone the right to ASSUME that because I am lifting weights, have a goal to be a personal trainer, sports nutritionist and fitness model that it automatically makes me masculine. Because if you flip the situation I could tell you that I think you’re too soft, to curvy, and maybe just too skinny. I don’t say anything; I keep my mouth shut and let ignorance be bliss.

Now we can move onto ‘Double Standards’, this portion of my note will most likely rub lots of people wrong. That is ok, FREEDOM OF SPEECH. I first need to make myself VERY clear before I even attempt to get through to anyone. Big, small, medium, toned, curvy, soft, etc…everyone has a different body type. Everyone chooses this. You either choose to gain weight, lose weight, etc. With that said you all should understand that I personally do not care what each individual goal you all have, I only care about my personal goals and what I have accomplished. I am however supportive of friends and family in their goals and only want the best for them. If their best is running countless hours on the treadmill, good for them! If my best is lifting heavy and having a strict diet, good for me! NOW, lets get down to business with what double standards are. Almost on a daily basis I have to hear the following:

* “Katie, you look great! You shouldn’t lose any more weight.”
* “Don’t lift to heavy, you don’t want to look like a man!”
* “Women should be curvy and soft”
* “Dang girl you’re getting skinny!”
* “Do you eat?”

Now to most women being called skinny is great, but not this lady. I’m not going for skinny, I am going for fit. When someone calls me skinny if offends me. Yes offends me. I spend time eating right, counting calories and working out so the last thing I want to be is skinny. Again, there is nothing wrong with skinny, but it’s just not what I am personally shooting for. I mean I think that people are wasting their money paying for a gym membership to just run on the treadmill or elliptical and I also think that people waste their money with lift kits for trucks that are worth less than the actual lift kit itself, but that is what they want to do with their time and money…this is what I like to do with my time and money. I don’t go up to them with rude or sarcastic comments about it. I leave it alone and let them do what makes them happy. It really sucks that it’s such a double standard world. It’s not ok to tell someone they are overweight, but it’s OK to tell the girl who works her butt off to be fit that she is skinny. Somewhere down the line, skinny has turned into a really positive thing for most women BUT the few who really work at fitness take it differently. This is something more people should be a bit more considerate about. I’m not saying do what I do, but THINK BEFORE YOU SPEAK. With a networking world today we are all using Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, etc…we typically post what we are doing or interested in, in our status’ which is a constant reminder of what each person likes. SO not saying you need to ask before you speak, just THINK.

Living healthy socially awkward? YES! Of course most of you can’t figure out why this would be the case. Well let me tell you. Being healthier is hard and takes LOTS of discipline. Eating crap foods is easier and the availability is endless. So when you see others munching on a double meat cheese burger w/ bacon and mayonnaise dripping from it you think that is ‘normal’ because that is what’s advertised and most common. BUT when someone like myself packs food in an ice chest to go out of town for 3 nights and 2 days I get so much crap for being ‘healthy’. I didn’t ask anyone to prepare, cook or clean up after me. All I ask is that you give me the same respect I give you. I don’t tell the people eating crap foods how awful it is, so why in the world would someone care that I eat HEALTHY?!?!?! Its really crazy. So crazy that my own dad can’t handle it. I mean as a parent you should want your children to be as healthy as possible and be better than you, but not in this case. I’m the ‘odd one’ in our family. I’m the healthy, fit one, so I AM the misfit. HUH?! Go figure, the girl who wants to better herself in health and fitness is the odd ball, Ha-Ha! Being on this subject is a great time for me to say I use to be the person eating the burgers dripping with mayonnaise, making fun of my friend for eating her salad (Katie Kistner). I NOW know what she went through and honestly can’t believe I was that ignorant.

I can only hope that others who read this will understand and if they don’t want to make a change in the healthier direction, at least they will understand me and others like me. We are not weird, we are determined and have goals. Goals that will take us to the next level. The next level that could possibly put us on the cover of a magazine or on the internet. Things that we can be proud of. We all have our goals, but this just happens to be mine…please be considerate of everyones goals and always wish the best for everyone…KARMA is a nasty one, LOL!

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    This has put my last week into perspective.
    I've heard:
    -Kailee, do you eat? You're losing weight quick.
    -Don't get too skinny, I like your curves.
    -You're fine the way you are.
    -What are you a health nut now?
    -You've turned into such a calorie-counting freak.

SINCE WHEN HAS THIS BEEN BAD?!?
    I love what I've been doing, and I love the results.
    People should look at themselves before they judge others.

/rant.
  • BobbieJo_1977
    BobbieJo_1977 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Well said!!!
  • Dancinhiphop4life
    Options
    i love it! its so true and good for you for speaking your mind and telling it how it is. and i def agree with calling women skinny. when i do hit my goal weight i still wont be skinny because im so short but i will be fit.....i dont wanna be skinny and if people start calling me that im not sure how i will react. keep up the writing, its great!!!
  • Jonesie1984
    Jonesie1984 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Well said Katie I totally agree. All I get now is "dont get too skinny". Someone even asked me why I lost weight? They liked the way I looked before. I was clinically overweight, borderline high blood pressure and you liked me better then? Now I have a resting heart rate in the 50's, sub normal blood pressure and a healthy bmi...people are crazy.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • gozdeh
    gozdeh Posts: 59
    Options
    * “Katie, you look great! You shouldn’t lose any more weight.”

My god! I hate this comment too! What I need to be obese to lose weight???? When I get this I say Prevention is better than cure!

Great post! Made me realise that not everyone wants to be skinny. From now on I will just say you look great! not you look skinny.

I am a little worried about someof my MFP friends who are losing 15lbs in one month! I mean thats gotta be unhealthy at some level. But I never make comments about it. They are doing what they want. I think losing weight should be at most 2 pounds a week to be permanent but that is just my opinion I am sure my friends are aware of this so I keep my mouth shut.

Hugs!
  • thecanface
    thecanface Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    seriously!! "too skinny" is the rudest thing ever!! ughh! TOO skinny?? you're saying i bust my *kitten* at the gym 5 times a day to look sick and "too skinny"??? i hate hearing "eat a hamburger or something, dang!" i just wana say "why don't you LAY OFF the hamburger's huh??? how about i tell you you're TOO FAT??? wouldn't like that would you??? i am strong, and lean, not Anorexic. (no offense to any one anorexic) i have mucles showing, not bones.. so take your comment's and your burgers somewhere else cause i don't want to hear it.. and one more note.... WHO THE EFF ASKED YOU ANYWAY!?!?! WHO ARE YOU TO TELL ME IF I AM HEALTHY OR NOT??? IF I WANT YOUR OPINION, I'LL ASK FOR IT!

Whooo.. i needed to get that out..
    :)
  • chaparra81
    chaparra81 Posts: 31
    Options
    Awesome...to get a piece of that mind of yours. I am trying not to die in my late 30's or early 50's from a heart issue like it runs in our family I am not trying to put anyone down or make them feel "weird" around me...because I am choosing what is not consider normal in our society, counting calories and moving my butt around the neighborhood. Thanks!
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I freakin' :heart: YOU...!
  • DanaM810
    DanaM810 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love this post! The fact is that people do not enjoy doing their destructive behaviors alone. They need partners in crime, and I think we have all been that person.

I also hate when people give me crap for not eating something fried, etc. I'm at the point where I have a hard enough time right now making the right decision on my own without people nagging me to fall off the wagon. The outcome from eating healthy can only be positive, so why would people deter you? I think most are threatened...
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Great post!

The worse one I got was "How far are you going to take this THING"? This THING, really?!?!! This THING is my life that I'm going to take all the way to greatness!!!
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Great post!

The worse one I got was "How far are you going to take this THING"? This THING, really?!?!! This THING is my life that I'm going to take all the way to greatness!!!

I like what you said, because my dad calls it a 'thing' too. Like you said, this 'thing' is my life.
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Great post!

Wow.....same here and same phrase! Also I have gotten "Obsess much?" from my mother when she see's my inistance on certain foods in my house either being here or not being here.