Stress Eating

Options
I will not lie. I stress eat whenever negativity causes it to get high. Tonight was no exception as my aunt made yet another hurtful comment about my weight and kicked me out of the main house. Keep in mind I do not have no fruit as my budget is low due to getting part of my diet going and continuing it. Any tips to change the issue with my stress eating into a different coping mechanism so that my diet is not sabotaged due to unhealthy relations.

Replies

• rendash49221
    rendash49221 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    The best way for me is to take a walk; it physically removes me from the situation and gives me time to just breathe and focus my mind on something else.
  • 67mirunner
    Options
    What about taking a bubble bath or giving yourself a manicure?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    exercise...
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Keep a journal and write it down.
  • maryrichen
    Options
    Thanks. I might start keeping a journal. Exercise will be more difficult as there is nothing to do or work with while I am at home. The walk idea I will definitely start whenever it happens during the daytime.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    you can add me, because i do the same thing sometimes..especially when im in school (summer and winter breaks give me time to start doing better again) best of luck
  • maryrichen
    Options
    Thanks and just sent a request. Wish you best of luck as well.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    That is such a hard thing to deal with; I struggle with it, too.

If you want to try exercise, you don't need any equipment or much space. You could jog in place, shadowbox, do push-ups, sit-ups, burps, etc. It's hard to get started because it feels like the last thing you want to do, but if you can get your heart rate going you will start to feel better.

The other thing that works for me is to try to delay and see if it gets better on its own. Not a long time, more like "if I still want this in 10 minutes, I will eat it then". Sometimes I will still eat the thing, but sometimes I find once I have a few minutes to calm down, I don't really want it after all.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    maryrichen wrote: »
    I will not lie. I stress eat whenever negativity causes it to get high. Tonight was no exception as my aunt made yet another hurtful comment about my weight and kicked me out of the main house. Keep in mind I do not have no fruit as my budget is low due to getting part of my diet going and continuing it. Any tips to change the issue with my stress eating into a different coping mechanism so that my diet is not sabotaged due to unhealthy relations.

Mary I did that for years. One day it came to me that I was just hurting myself short and long term from my stress eating and that I had no control over what others do or say. However I do have 100% control over my attitude as to what others may say to me.

I admit is easy to let an emotionally challenged person to get under our skin but the price to do so can lead to an early death for us.
  • maryrichen
    Options
    That is such a hard thing to deal with; I struggle with it, too.

If you want to try exercise, you don't need any equipment or much space. You could jog in place, shadowbox, do push-ups, sit-ups, burps, etc. It's hard to get started because it feels like the last thing you want to do, but if you can get your heart rate going you will start to feel better.

The other thing that works for me is to try to delay and see if it gets better on its own. Not a long time, more like "if I still want this in 10 minutes, I will eat it then". Sometimes I will still eat the thing, but sometimes I find once I have a few minutes to calm down, I don't really want it after all.
    maryrichen wrote: »

Mary I did that for years. One day it came to me that I was just hurting myself short and long term from my stress eating and that I had no control over what others do or say. However I do have 100% control over my attitude as to what others may say to me.

I admit is easy to let an emotionally challenged person to get under our skin but the price to do so can lead to an early death for us.

Thanks. I will try and I did manage to cut down on my stress eating somewhat with a different mind set today. I just need to take a step back emotionally when it comes to family and some cutting remarks they come up with. All I have to do now is increase my water intake for the day. I am losing too much water weight and am developing a headache that is quite persistent.