tired

Options
hey guys I've been gone for about a week now, i think. I basically stopped counting for a while and I've lost 5 pounds while doing so. i think i need to give my body a break, I'm not bingeing or anything I'm just not counting. so i just wanted to ask if you think when i start counting again if i will lose my last 30 pounds?

Replies

• TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    If you're losing weight by not counting calories, why go back to counting? I've lost 20 pounds without counting calories...
  • hidee14
    hidee14 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    TopazCutie wrote: »
    If you're losing weight by not counting calories, why go back to counting? I've lost 20 pounds without counting calories...

because i lost my first 30 pretty quick and i was thinking if i stop and then start again i could lose it like before. is that possible?
  • btc1987
    btc1987 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    No, it's not possible to lose weight by counting calories.

:|

:|:|

;)
  • hidee14
    Options
    btc1987 wrote: »
    No, it's not possible to lose weight by counting calories.

:|

:|:|

;)

I've lost 31 pounds so far?
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    hidee14 wrote: »

because i lost my first 30 pretty quick and i was thinking if i stop and then start again i could lose it like before. is that possible?

u could definitely be on to something. just give it a try!!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

Normal ( statistically normal that is ) people lose weight because they eat at a deficit. Counting calories is the accepted way to make sure that we stay within that deficit.
    There are a tiny percentage of people who can stay within deficit without counting....but it's kind of iffy.
    I personally prefer the security of counting and probably would not have lost 55 pounds without it.

• hidee14
    Options
    thank you everyone so much! i think I'm gonna give the stop and go thing a try but how long do you think i should wait to start again?
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »

Normal ( statistically normal that is ) people lose weight because they eat at a deficit. Counting calories is the accepted way to make sure that we stay within that deficit.
    There are a tiny percentage of people who can stay within deficit without counting....but it's kind of iffy.
    I personally prefer the security of counting and probably would not have lost 55 pounds without it.

This. :)

Good luck!!

• hidee14
    Options
    thank you everyone so much! i think I'm gonna give the stop and go thing a try but how long do you think i should wait to start again?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

There is no answer to your question...this is all up to you...there are no rules.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options

If you are tired, then stop if you wish. maybe even go back to maintenance or your alternative just stop counting. You run the risk of not knowing though and you may be under over or at maintenance. What ang108 said.

How long should you wait? Bit impossible to answer as its up to you and we dont have sufficient knowledge. As it only takes a few seconds to get on the scales why not have a look in 2 weeks or when you feel you have settled. There is no guarantee without counting as its all a big guess. Go back to counting when ready because its the most effective method of deficit control.
  • kittkat100
    Options
    Maybe you learned a lot about portions and serving sizes when counting and it stayed with you? It is really up to you to decide when you want to track again. Just monitor weight and measurements and if you notice a stall or gain start back up?
    I can maintain a long time without tracking but losing is hard me without. Sounds like you are doing much better than me in that department.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Keep an eye on your scale and if it starts to go up consistently start logging.
    You could also take the pressure off yourself and have a break over Christmas; start back logging in the new year.
    It really is up to you.
    Cheers, h.
  • hidee14
    Options
    i stopped exercising could that be it? i didn't think it was that important.
    Keep an eye on your scale and if it starts to go up consistently start logging.
    You could also take the pressure off yourself and have a break over Christmas; start back logging in the new year.
    It really is up to you.
    Cheers, h.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You can lose with or without counting. The counting is helpful for those who don't know how portions work, for those who want to keep track of how much fiber or protein (or whatever) they're eating and for various other reasons.

Counting doesn't guarantee weight loss and stopping doesn't mean you won't lose.

What matters is how many calories you swallow. :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    When you were exercising, providing you weren't eating back all your calories you would have had a greater calorie deficit while exercising as you were burning more calories. Also, depending on the type and intensity of your exercises, you could be experiencing variations in water retention.
    Basically it is just a case of watch the scales, and the tape measure, they will tell you if it is better to count calories or not. With regards to the exercise, even though I hate doing them, I do believe even a little improves ones health; even if it doesn't contribute towards weight loss.
    Cheers, h.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Do what you think is best for you and your long term success. Be it counting or not.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    You can lose with or without counting. The counting is helpful for those who don't know how portions work, for those who want to keep track of how much fiber or protein (or whatever) they're eating and for various other reasons.

Counting doesn't guarantee weight loss and stopping doesn't mean you won't lose.

What matters is how many calories you swallow. :)

This.

I find counting tends to motivate me to stay below a particular level at the moment more often than otherwise, and that I enjoy tracking lots of things, including calories, so I find it helpful at the moment when trying to lose, but it's really up to you. If you want to experiment with doing it without counting or maintenance or anything else, there's nothing wrong with that.