Best way to log food and exercise information?

Options
albali
albali Posts: 225 Member
Hi
I just wondered what your tips are for logging your eating and exercise. Do you write it all down and then log it in the evening? Log it as you go along? Remember and then have to guess if you forget?? What works for you guys? Any suggestions gratefully received!
xx

Replies

• joannbuist23
    joannbuist23 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I don't work so for me it's easy to jump on the computer every couple of hours, so I usually log as I go. This way I can remember to track everything.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I use tha app on my phone after each exercise session. I walk then I enter it and if I do cardio later I just enter it then.
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    During the week when i am at work i log as i eat but on the weekends i just keep a slip of paper in my pocket or purse and write down as i go and log all at once.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I log as I go. If I wait until later I always forget something. It is pretty convenient because I can do it from my laptop or my phone. Make sure you log everything....like condiments.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I work form home, so I have access to my computer all day. I log as I go using my laptop, but many use the mobil apps on their phone for constant logging (my phone is lame and ancient, so no go). If I'm out and busy, I log when I get back. Or, try to log ahead by planning out what I'm going to be eating or packing and taking food with me.
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I work at home, so I can do it throughout the day, but my recommendation would be if you have a cell and can get the app use that, if not write it all down, and log it in at the end of the day. Before they had this terrific site, when I lost my weight after my daughter I carried the calorie king calorie book which is still great because it lists all the restaurant calories and such, and I had a notebook with my calculator, and lost about 80 lbs. Now they have this great site, so as long as it is logged is what is important. Hope this helps.:bigsmile:
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Some people log as they go, some pre-plan and log food ahead of time, and some take note and enter it all in at the end of the day. It's up to you how you want to do it, as long as it works for you. I personally log as I go. I have an app for it, so the convenience is there for me whenever I'm away from the computer.
  • mommacool
    mommacool Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Log as I go or EVEN BETTER ahead of time if I know what I am having. Logging ahead seems to cement in my mind NOT to go over. Sometimes I logging ahead to help to plan my dinner.... and sometimes what I thought I would eat is too much, so I adjust before I even get tot he table.

Now that I have been doing it for four months, I have a pretty good feel for what I can and can't eat if I am not at home, or have not planned. I never would have been successful at the beginning of my wieght loss journey if I had waited until the end of the day to log. I would have overeaten everyday!
  • rosieg32
    rosieg32 Posts: 9
    Options
    I plan ahead in the morning and log most days that way. I find it helpful to know how many calories I have left or I can adjust before I have too many. Also , how much of a workout to add to reach my daily goal! :-)
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I plan my day as I'm eating breakfast and then make adjustments as I go... but I have easy access at work and home.
  • Sho_Rowell
    Sho_Rowell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I log all my food for the whole day about 10 am... This keeps me accountable and less likely to stray. After I log my food, I then know how many calories I need to burn to be at or under my calorie goal, and I go ahead and log that before I even do it. If I'm 400 over my goal, then I plan to burn 400-500 calories when I workout. If I want a treat, then I'll add those extra calories to how much I need to burn.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I normally log as I go. I already have an idea of what I'm going to eat because I preplan my meals. Like today I already logged everything I intend to consume. When I add my exercise later it will all average out.

I don't know how long you've been at it but normally you tend to gravitate towards certain foods on the regular so logging will become easy in time.
  • albali
    albali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks Desirai. I've only just started using, so hopefully I'll get quicker and more familiar with it!!
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I preplan and log everythi8ng in the morning. This way I can account for things later in the day or add things if I must (like yesterday I got to have peanut butter with my apple because I was low on calories). I find preplanning and prelogging helps keep me on track because I don't want to go back through and change it. Same with exercise if I log it in the morning I feel like I "have" to do it in the afternoon.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I either log as I go or if I know that I'm going to be busy the next day I log everything ahead of time, more as a way to plan what I am going to eat. If I wait to log things I tend to forget things. Exercise I just log once a day in the evenings.
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I log as much as I can in the morning after I've planned my day and then I use the app on my phone to add unexpected things BEFORE I eat them. There's a rule people here like to tell me, enter before you eat-regret doesn't burn calories. lol
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I do it as I go along on my phone.
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job so I am able to do it throughout the day, but I tend to pre-plan and log in the morning. This also helps make me stick to the plan, since it's already been logged. A lot harder to justify skipping that workout when I've already posted it. ;)