Long Term Problems

Options
So I've been having weight issues for honestly a number of years now. It has only gotten terrible in the last two years. I used to be at a weight of 180 and would walk for an hour as well as do pilates. Even at that point I could only maintain my weight but not lose any. Here we are 2 years later and I now weigh 210-215 usually.

I moved a year ago and have honestly stopped all exercise, but have now started to try to change my diet. So far I have cut out all pop and most bread consumption. Unfortunately I am still at the same weight :/.

Just looking for some advice now on what else I should be cutting out, and a good way to get back into the exercising routine. I don't want anything too crazy, I work at a grooming salon picking large dogs up and walking alot, so I am honestly tired when I get home.

Any advice would definitely be appreciated!

Replies

• obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Rather than cutting things out entirely, limit them so that you stay within the calorie goals MFP gave you. Caloric deficit is for weight loss, exercise is for fitness.

You're the best one to decide what to limit/eliminate from your diet. If the calories from bread aren't worth it to you but the calories from cheese are, that's an entirely valid choice.

To get back into exercise, I recommend youtube videos. (Jessica Smith is my favorite, but there's a ton.) You should also start trying to build muscle with strength training, too. Can you do pushups, sit ups, exercises with hand weights?

And good luck! You got this.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Step 1: Stop cutting out individual foods thinking that's the healthy way to do it.
    Step 2: Calculate your TDEE here (If you have a good idea of your body fat percentage, choose the Katch-McArdle option, otherwise use the Mifflin-St Jeor.) http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    Step 3: Subtract 20% from your TDEE and set that as your calorie goal
    Step 4: Calculate your macronutrient goals (1 gram per pound of Lean Body Mass for protein. 0.35g per pound of Body Weight for fat. You can use the rest of your calories for carbs.
    Step 5: Eat literally whatever you want to hit your calorie goal and your macronutrient goals. Your fat and protein goals are minimums so hit or exceed them every day. Your carb goal is a max, try not to exceed it. It's recommended that you consume a minimum of 30g of fiber a day as well.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Start by using the tools here to track everything you eat. Get yourself a food scale and measure/weigh out portions.

Don't worry too much about goals right now. The big thing is just to understand where the calories you're taking in are coming from. Then you can make better choices.

You can eat anything you want ... just not too much, and not all on the same day :)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I was 212 when I started, suffered from mild asthma and chronic laziness

I threw away everything I knew about dieting - cut out this, avoid that, do this or that

I got my MFP calorie goal and I stuck to it - eating lots of healthy foods but also having my favourite foods in moderation within my goals - so yes I eat toast, and chocolate and drink wine but I also have big vegetable chillis and I weigh everything on a digital scale and log it (I even log through holidays / nights out / parties and yes I will be through Christmas too)

I went to the gym - got a trainer - logged my exercise on MFP - ate back half the calories it gave me

I started walking more using a fitbit to give me the calories I burned through normal activity and my extra walking

I then got an HRM to track my workouts better and am shocked to find that I love going to the gym - absolutely bloody love feeling strong and fit and no asthma nor panic attacks

7 months later I'm a US size 6, lost 41lbs

if I can do it - so can you
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Most people like you make the mistake of thinking that its more about exercise than anything else. Its not!. Its mostly about diet and ultimately how much you eat. What you eat matters in a number of ways. Obviously the most important factor is whether or not the food you eat is nutritious and filling your basic dietary needs. If you do not have an understanding about basic nutrition, then i urge you to learn.

But from the point of view of losing weight, what you eat matters a great deal too. Healthy food makes it easier to lose weight because a) it is more satisfying, b) keeps your systems operating optimally which helps with metabolism, mood and hormone regulation. All these things and no doubt more make it easier for you to lose weight.

Let me spell it out a bit further. When you eat good healthy food, hunger is less an issue than when you eat unhealthy food. This is why what you eat is so important for losing weight.

With that said, you don't have to cut out bread, but it is important to reduce the amount of carbs you eat if you want to keep your appetite under control. Most specifically eat, keep refined carbs to an absolute minimum. And you can certainly cut them out almost completely for a period of time. Ie until you are down into the healthy weight range area.

And if you are going to cut out foods that you normally eat, then you have to replace them with something. First is protein. You can find out from the net how much protein you should eat. And you can find out how to source the foods that will make it easier.

Second, you do not have to cut out fat or even go low fat but try to ensure that most of the fats you eat are more healthy ones. You can research that. For my money and given what i like to eat the best ones are olive oil, and the fat in dairy food. Even though the latter is saturated fat, it is not added fat and unless overeating dairy, then the fat in dairy will do you no harm but you will enjoy your food more because fat makes food taste better.
    Third and most important you must eat more fruit and vegetables. A significant amount more.

Given your starting point, you can enjoy vegetables cooked in any way except deep-fried. Just make sure you eating a lot of vegetables. Why? Because they nutritious, bulking, low calorie and have a tendency to help you stay away from unhealthy processed foods.

Eat more fruit. From looking at people's diaries, i swear I am coming to the conclusions that americans don't like fruit. Fruit is fantastic. Its the best snack food. Eat as much as you want.

One key point i want to stress for you is not to cut your calories severely. Its a lot easier to lose weight by cutting your calories moderately and being patient. I can almost promise you, if you do it this way and by eating better quality food, you will have more success sooner.

You do not need to do any extra exercise, you just need to fix your diet.

One final point. I would emphasise that people need to learn to be aware of their moods and stress levels. Negative moods and stress have a tangible impact on appetite and the sort of foods you reach for. Take good care of your mood. Get help from a councillor when you are having difficulties. Get you mood back to normal asap in order to stay on the wagon.

If you need to treat yourself, i suggest no more than once a month. Its what i've done this year though i base my rule on choices i made but in the end i've had treats about once a month and in such low risk situations that i've cured myself of my sugar addiction and binges.

If you are not willing to change the way you eat for the long term, you will not be successful.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ^^^ actually it's just about the calories and you don't need to follow any of those rules

what you need to do is work out for yourself how you can stay within your calories happily

so if you like carbs - you go for them, and if they do make you blow your calories you cut them down
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You don't need to cut out anything, you need to eat at a caloric deficit.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I agree that you cannot out-train a lousy diet, and that ultimately it's what goes in your mouth that counts.

That said, I see significant and reasonably swift differences in what my weight does when I exercise compared to when I do not.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Charlottesometimes23 Posts: 687 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    Welcome!

Start by using the tools here to track everything you eat. Get yourself a food scale and measure/weigh out portions.

Don't worry too much about goals right now. The big thing is just to understand where the calories you're taking in are coming from. Then you can make better choices.

You can eat anything you want ... just not too much, and not all on the same day :)

^^^this first! then what AJ_G said.

If you have an understanding of where your calories are coming from in your current diet (including bread if you like it) and then you calculate the amount of calories you should be having to lose weight (TDEE less 15-20%), you can decide where you can modify your current diet to suit.

You don't need to cut anything out but you may decide to reduce the quantity of certain high calorie items and replace them with lower calorie options such as fruit or veg. For example, you could have less meat and spread on your sandwich and more salad, or perhaps an open sandwich with less bread, less meat and starchy veg on your dinner plate and replace with non starchy lower cal veges. It's hard to be specific without knowing what you like to eat but hopefully it makes sense.

Once you have figured out where you could make different choices to suit your calorie goals, have a look at the macronutrient split. I aim for 40/30/30 carbs/protein/fat, or you may prefer 50/20/30 or something similar.

Try to eat a wide variety of foods to ensure you get your micronutrients and phytochemicals and to keep your gut flora happy. :)

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Exercise alone won't do it, because most people assume that since they are exercising that they can get by with eating whatever they want. You can lose weight by just cutting calories, but it isn't much fun. Not to mention, there are added health benefits that come from exercise. You should keep track of what you are eating. I find that just keeping track of what I eat and a ballpark figure of calories is enough to keep me from overeating.
  • flissy5
    flissy5 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My top tip - Don't expect the pounds that you gained over 2 years to disappear in a few days, it is a slow process you won't lose 15 lbs over night. BUT losing 15lbs (when you are overweight) feels awesome and it is worth the effort.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Go see the doctor. Find out if something is wrong with you (and "I feel fine!" is not a good reason to skip check ups.) You can get a good daily calorie goal and goal weight, get cleared for exercise and find out what kind of foods you should and shouldn't be eating.

Try to work in as much healthy food as you can. It makes you healthier and much of it is low-cal. You can eat a lot of fruits and veggies for not many calories. Makes getting fiber easier, too. I think this is a great place to start for healthy eating: http://www.fitness.gov/eat-healthy/how-to-eat-healthy/

Do exercise you enjoy, like walking. Swimming is fantastic exercise. Works your cardio system while it tones your muscles and nothing burns calories like swimming! Many gyms offer discounts around January 1, so maybe join one.

It's a long process. Be prepared to make a lot of changes - some that aren't easy - and stick with them until they become habits.

I've been where you are. A lot of here have. We've done it (and are doing it.) You can, too. :)
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Go see the doctor. Find out if something is wrong with you (and "I feel fine!" is not a good reason to skip check ups.) You can get a good daily calorie goal and goal weight, get cleared for exercise and find out what kind of foods you should and shouldn't be eating.

Lol. Certainly see the doctor to have a health check and clearance for exercise, but most GPs have very basic nutrition training, and from my experience, can give some terrible advice (eg. fad diets).

• Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    Welcome!

That's not true for everyone. Some people have cravings that they can't limit. It's better for them to cut them out entirely, or to limit the food to very special occasions.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Exercise alone won't do it, because most people assume that since they are exercising that they can get by with eating whatever they want.

In addition, most people aren't burning as many calories they think and/or aren't capable of the intense, lengthy exercise that would burn massive amounts of calories. Calorie reduction is critical, giving truth to the expression that "Abs are made in the kitchen."