edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
tell me you're favs and why!! preferably for iPhone
please&thank you

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Assuming that you mean GPS tracking, there are a few:

Runkeeper is pretty well established, has a decent range of features and some good third party services. I've found it reliable.

Endomondo is pretty powerful, and the subscription version gives you access to some very good analysis tools and the ability to customise training plans to the days you can train. It'll also give you a fitness test and tune the plan to your current level fo fitness.

Strava is a bit more serious user, doesn't have a training plan option at all but very good analysis and linkages.

MapMyFitness is a suite of apps, all doing similar things for different sports, whereas the previous three will performn for whatever you want. Personally I've found it unreliable and inconsistent with sync issues most prevalent, however others on here seem to like it.

Runtastic is comparable in terms of performance but it's very limited in the free version and keeps trying to upsell midrun. It's expensive and I found that it killed my battery very quickly.

I've used all of those, and would personally recommend Endomondo or Runkeeper for entry level. Nowadays I use a Garmin, but send the results to Endomondo, Runkeeper and Strava for different purposes.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    ^Good info from MM. Endomondo Pro is probably my favorite (mainly because it allows me to track all my sports, not just running), but YMMV.

For mixing things up a bit, Zombies Run! can be fun.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper...it's easy to use and gives me all the data that I am looking for. And it's free.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Zombies,Run! - Makes running a game. As you run you pick up items to build your base. There is a story to it and you will occasionally hear zombies while your running (have to increase speed to evade them).
  • oORosadaOo
    oORosadaOo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I like Nike+ Running the best. Runkeeper is also ok.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I've used runkeeper and map my run - I like both, but preferred map my run. I got a bit annoyed to start with because they kept trying to sell me a subscription I didn't want when I started a run, but about 6 months ago I decided I actually wanted to subscribe to get better breakdowns of my run, and I've been really happy with it since. No problems, no bugs, and I've found it more accurate than runkeeper.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i've tried many - runtastic, strava, endomondo - the nike+ app is by far my favorite.
  • Killmenext
    Killmenext Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo along with my Gear Live watch for heartrate, works fantastic.
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of the Nike+ app -- I've been using it since November of last year and haven't used anything else for running since. If I bike, hike or walk -- I use Endomondo.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper has always been my favorite running app.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    mapmyrun and syncs with myfitnesspal
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I love Map My Run or Map My Fitness. I like that it syncs to MFP. Also, I somehow got a free subscription for a year. However, it's been too cold to run outside right now, so I've switched to spinning class until it gets warmer out.
  • McCloud33
    McCloud33 Posts: 959 Member
    Options
    I've tried Endomundo, runkeeper, mapmyrun and runtastic. I use runkeeper though. Easy to use, syncs with mfp well...use it to track running/cycling/weightlifting and you can manually enter treadmill or excercise bike workouts as well.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I love Nike+! I like that it keeps a scoreboard of my friends on there of how we've all ran. When I go out for a bike ride though I usually use Runkeeper.
  • lchadwick2
    lchadwick2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use Strava for my outdoor runs and bike rides. Strava will sync with MFP so I put all my workouts on there. Strava has a great established community and monthly challenges to enter and earn badges and they open access to challenge specific shirts and jerseys.

When indoors, I use Polar Beat. I have a Polar heart rate monitor. Polar has a neat new feature that will "relive" your run or ride. (The relive feature only works outside, though). It makes a short video of the map and uses google maps to show you a street view of where you hit your max heart rate and speed. Pretty cool.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I prefer RunKeeper. I have been using it now for 4 years. I tried some others but IMHO RK works best. I use it on my iphone.
  • mcblevins
    mcblevins Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I use Strava as I use it for my biking as well. I like the tracking and awards you can get like other people have mentioned.
  • sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'll also say Zombies, Run! Best money I've ever spent on something fitness-oriented (as crazy as that sounds) and has gotten me pretty hooked on running in general.
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Map My Run with the premium subscription and a linked HRM is incredible.
  • Navymustng
    Navymustng Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Endomondo. Free and wonderful APP! Syncs with Myfitnesspal and FB stat if you want. Been using a long time with great results. I also like the monthly goal report sent to you in email.