Help - Low carb desserts?

Options
Need2Exerc1se
Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
Does anyone have any tried and true low carb dessert recipes that would taste good to someone not used to eating low carb? Artificial sweeteners are okay. High fat is not, but it doesn't have to be low fat.

Replies

• RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I made an easy one recently....

I ground .75 cup cashew. Added .75 cup sesame seed. and mixed with almost .75 cup (about 3 teaspoons left in the cup... )

Mix it all together well, then scoop about a tablespoon worth into mini-cupcake wrappers...

top each one with a whole cashew and a sprinkle of sea-salt. Refrigerate until serving.

My batch made 19 cups... although a few were fuller than others and it could have made 20...

94 calories, and 13 carbs. It's a perfect little treat with hot tea. Sweet, with a bit of a bitter quality from the sesame seeds - and the sea-salt to balance it out.

• RoseyDgirl
    Options
    I should probably state ... the cashews were .75 cup, before grinding...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    RoseyDgirl wrote: »
    I made an easy one recently....

I ground .75 cup cashew. Added .75 cup sesame seed. and mixed with almost .75 cup (about 3 teaspoons left in the cup... )

Mix it all together well, then scoop about a tablespoon worth into mini-cupcake wrappers...

top each one with a whole cashew and a sprinkle of sea-salt. Refrigerate until serving.

My batch made 19 cups... although a few were fuller than others and it could have made 20...

94 calories, and 13 carbs. It's a perfect little treat with hot tea. Sweet, with a bit of a bitter quality from the sesame seeds - and the sea-salt to balance it out.

Thanks! In your first sentence, what was the last ingredient (w 3 tsp left)? Do you know the nutritional breakout?
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Mix sugar free pudding mix with almond milk (use half the amount the directions tell you since almond milk won't set the same as cow's milk) and top with Cool Whip Free.

Halve and core a pear, bake or poach til soft, top with goat cheese or blue cheese and almonds or pecans.
  • RoseyDgirl
    Options
    Honey. Sorry. My brain sometimes works to fast, and my fingers forget to type in the rest...

• RoseyDgirl
    Options
    0.75 cup(s), Seeds - Sesame seeds, whole, dried
    0.75 cup(s), Raw Cashews
    0.70 cup(s), Honey
    Nutrition Facts
    Servings 19.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 94
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 5 g 7 %
    Saturated Fat 0 g 2 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 1 mg 0 %
    Sodium 1 mg 0 %
    Potassium 33 mg 1 %
    Total Carbohydrate 13 g 4 %
    Dietary Fiber 1 g 3 %
    Sugars 11 g
    Protein 2 g 4 %
    Vitamin A 0 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 6 %
    Iron 6 %
    * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie

---- Only thing is - I used roasted cashews instead of Raw. the recipe ap here wouldn't allow me to find the roasted/salted cashews and kept giving me Raw... so, some of the nutritional elements may be off from them being treated.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mix sugar free pudding mix with almond milk (use half the amount the directions tell you since almond milk won't set the same as cow's milk) and top with Cool Whip Free.

Halve and core a pear, bake or poach til soft, top with goat cheese or blue cheese and almonds or pecans.

I had nothing but problems trying to use almond milk when I had my tonsils removed, but I found greek yogurt worked well (half greek yogurt, half water to thin it). Don't know how that measures up carb-wise though.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Honey. Sorry. My brain sometimes works to fast, and my fingers forget to type in the rest...

No problem. I do that too sometimes. Thanks for the info!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Thanks!
  • mmabrey6
    Options
    MIX CARROTS WITH PREZTZELS AND DRIZZLE PEANUT BUTTER AND CHOCOLATE ON IT. GREAT VEGGIE PROTEIN SOURCE.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    0.75 cup(s), Seeds - Sesame seeds, whole, dried
    0.75 cup(s), Raw Cashews
    0.70 cup(s), Honey
    Nutrition Facts
    Servings 19.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 94
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 5 g 7 %
    Saturated Fat 0 g 2 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 2 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 2 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 1 mg 0 %
    Sodium 1 mg 0 %
    Potassium 33 mg 1 %
    Dietary Fiber 1 g 3 %
    Sugars 11 g
    Protein 2 g 4 %
    Vitamin A 0 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 6 %
    Iron 6 %
    * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie

---- Only thing is - I used roasted cashews instead of Raw. the recipe ap here wouldn't allow me to find the roasted/salted cashews and kept giving me Raw... so, some of the nutritional elements may be off from them being treated.

I'm glad you did this because I couldn't figure out how nuts and salt in a cup was supposed to be a dessert. LOL!

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any tried and true low carb dessert recipes that would taste good to someone not used to eating low carb? Artificial sweeteners are okay. High fat is not, but it doesn't have to be low fat.

If it has to be low carb and can't be high fat...chicken breast topped with some sugar free chocolate sauce?
  • RoseyDgirl
    Options
    there are lots of recipes for low-carb cakes too... I attempted a chocolate cake, but I hadn't put in enough sugar - so, after the first slices ... the rest was turned into chocolate toast.

it was actually pretty yummy even without the sugar. Very intense chocolate. ... and probably would have been to die for with a drizzle of godiva liquor over it & a little whipped cream.

Let me know if you want to go so far as to bake - I have the recipe on here.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I am fine with baking. It's for a Christmas dinner so I prefer something more than just a snack.

Also, I'm not used to dealing with diabetes so I'm not sure how low carb it needs to be. So, if anyone can provide any help in that area, it would be appreciated.
  • RoseyDgirl
    Options
    grain-free chocolate cake
    Servings 8
    calories per serving 171
    10 Ingredients Edit Recipe
    1.00 cup(s), Almond Meal/flour- Net Carb (3)
    4.00 Tablespoons, Coconut Flour
    3.00 large, Eggs - Whole, raw
    1.00 cup(s), Cottage cheese - Lowfat, 1% milkfat
    4.00 tbsp(s), Cocoa - Dry powder, unsweetened
    6.00 tsp(s), Organic Blonde Coconut Palm Sugar
    1.00 tsp(s), Baking soda
    0.50 tsp(s), Baking Powder
    1.00 tsp(s), Vanilla extract
    0.50 cup(s), Almond Milk - Original - Unsweetened Vanilla
    Nutrition Facts
    Servings 8.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 171
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 10 g 16 %
    Saturated Fat 1 g 4 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 1 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 80 mg 27 %
    Sodium 487 mg 20 %
    Potassium 102 mg 3 %
    Dietary Fiber 4 g 15 %
    Sugars 5 g
    Protein 10 g 20 %
    Vitamin A 3 %
    Vitamin C 0 %
    Calcium 9 %
    Iron 10 %
    * The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.

It's not sweet at all. - so a drizzle of chocolate liquor would kick it up a notch, and some whipped cream to top so it doesnt just look like a single layre unfrosted cake...

I'm intending to make this one again. because I loved it as toast...
  • RoseyDgirl
    Options
    also too ... I used cottage cheese .. but I am one of those folks that just throws things in. If I had it -I'd also use sour-cream or greek yogurt.

I like to experiment with recipes. I read a lot of them, but rarely do I follow one from start to finish...
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

If it has to be low carb and can't be high fat...chicken breast topped with some sugar free chocolate sauce?

Yeah. I don't know how to make dessert low carb and not high fat.. I lose.
  • RoseyDgirl
    Options
    well... that's why cottage cheese was used in the cake... it took out the oil element.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I don't think it would be considered dessert by most of my guests if it's not sweet. www.diabetes.org actually has some pretty good looking options. IDK why I didn't think of them before.

Thanks to all who provided recipes!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I have been trying low carb desserts for the past several days. Most are poor excuses for dessert IMO. But I came accross a suggestion that made me do a facepalm.

Strawberry pie, using sugar free jello for the gooey stuff and crushed sugar free cookies for the crust. Simple, low carb and delicious. This will be our low-carb dessert option.