Leaving snacks at work

Options
I would like to get some ideas of what foods I can take to work and leave in the cupboard/fridge so they're there for break times. I don't know why but I'm just finding it really hard to think of some.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    We keep pretzels at work.

I always have a jar of peanut butter... and I used to keep trail mix- or almonds- but they wind up costing me to much in terms of calories.

I just bring my own snacks daily- it's safer in terms of sustainability. (for me anyway)
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits, carrots, celery, hummus, peanut butter and yogurt in the fridge. If your office has a toaster, leaving bread in the fridge or freezer is okay too and they'll last longer. Just toast them and they'll taste fresh! Nuts and dried fruit in your desk drawer. Consider snacking only if you're hungry rather than out of habit just because it's break time.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm a big snacker - it's my weakness. :) So recently I have changed to popcorn, apples and vegetable sticks. Agreed, you have to be careful with nuts, they are filling but you only want a few at a time.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Snacking is my weakness, too. And office snacks were the bane of my existence, because people in the office always leave out baskets of chocolates, trays of baked goods, and all sorts of other unhealthy snacks.

I made it a test of my self-control for the first couple of weeks, to walk by the snacks and not take any. After the first couple of weeks, I stopped even being tempted. Today, we had a birthday and there was a massive plate of chocolate stuff and I didn't even touch it. Felt pretty good about that, 'cause the old me would've had seconds and thirds and fourths.

Anyway, I don't bring snacks to work. I have gone cold turkey on the snacking habit, since it was so destructive. I plan my day out and if a snack isn't in my plan, I leave it alone. I just bring that day's planned food to work, and leave it at that.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I keep two cans of soup in my drawer in case I leave my lunch at home. Also some of my favorite teas.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I always have hummus and peanut butter in the fridge with some pitas and apples on hand just in case. Nuts are also great, in addition to popcorn.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I agree with the above posts. I commute back and forth to college, so usually if I bring snacks it's something like half a sandwich and carrot sticks or an apple with a protein bar. Also, some places (like wawa) have small salads already made that you could grab if you stop in on your way to work. They also have carrot and celery cups with peanut butter already packaged, but you could probably pack something similar at home to save the money.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I keep protein bars, instant Oatmeal and flavored almonds in my desk drawer, as well as soup in case I don't get to pack my lunch one day.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    I keep yogurts and cottage cheese in the fridge. At my desk I have dry roasted wasabi edamame, Good Bean chili lime chickpeas, some of those Jif to Go cups and Quest bars.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    String cheese and sliced turkey in the fridge. Protein keeps me fuller and stops the snacking faster. Also as mentioned above nuts are good but remember to portion them first.
  • DeAnna_DMBFan
    DeAnna_DMBFan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Mini sweet peppers.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I usually plan to have one snack a day. Usually I have things like fruit, baby carrots, a granola bar, trail mix or popcorn.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I love sweet peppers sliced with peanut butter, humus, yogurt. They hold up longer than cucumbers & celery and a change from carrots. Also try rolling up 3-4 ounces of turkey and putting in a small container, you can also wrap a lettuce leaf around it & put a toothpick in it! Your co-workers will envy you!
  • Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I keep raw almonds in my desk....as a rule about 28 is 1/4 cup, 14 is an 1/8 of a cup. Helps me not to over eat.
  • Ysmir
    Ysmir Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    I keep two cans of soup in my drawer in case I leave my lunch at home. Also some of my favorite teas.

This. Progresso saves the day more than once.

Meanwhile, it must be nice to leave food at work and know it will be there the next day. I read the title of this thread and thought to myself "Leave food at work?!?! Foolish mortals." Of course our office is open 24/7 so someone is always creeping into someone else's food stash at 3 am.
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The little campbells cup o soup or soup at hand should be around 50/60 cals each and have a good shelf life

apples also keep a LONG time if you leave them whole. Carrots (even the baby/peeled kind keep good as well as far as refrigerated foods go)

I may be odd in this respect but I actually really enjoy a can of green/wax beans, straight out of the can. If there are any canned veggies you like those would keep long too. (I have a slight addiction to the Margaret Holmes line of canned veggies. The squash with vidalia onions, triple succotash and okra, corn and tomatoes are my favorite. SOOOO freakin good if you like that sort of thing.)
  • TuffChixRule
    TuffChixRule Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I keep instant oatmeal, tea, protein bars, unsweetened applesauce in individual cups, Belvita breakfast bicuits and some type of healthy salty snack (really loving Sensible Portions Veggie Straws right now) in my overhead at work. I like variety and I don't get bored with my selection. Also still have a box of Poptarts in the overhead left over from my days of unhealthy eating, but chances are very good that they will expire before I ever eat them.
  • CBoone5036
    CBoone5036 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    halo oranges are only 40 cal each can cut a sweet craving and mini bags of smartpop popcorn only have 100 cal each both are cheap per serving. Halos are about $5.00 a bag but you get like 20 and the popcorn is about 2.00 and you get 10 bags. I am a firm believer even if you get bigger bags of chips or containers of nuts make sure and portion them into small zip locks before you even get to work. These ideas help me...
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I like to keep beef jerky or pork rinds on hand to snack on. I usually have some kind of crackers, tuna and a can of soup in my drawer as a last resort for lunch, too.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Small 80g tins of tuna.