Sydney Siege

Options
Medilia
Medilia Posts: 230 Member
FIRST OF ALL PLEASE DO NOT POST RACIST OR SPECULATIVE COMMENTS ON THIS THREAD PLEASE.

So for those who don't know. 10am this morning a man went into the Lindt cafe in Martin Place Sydney and took the patrons and staff hostage. It appears there were 15 or so hostages. 5 have escaped. It is now 9:30 so the siege has been going for almost 12 hours.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/12/15/10/00/major-police-operation-in-sydneys-martin-place

It is terrifying. I have been sitting watching the live feed not wanting to go to bed.

Replies

• ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Do you live in Australia?
  • Medilia
    Options
    Do you live in Australia?

Yeah, I used to live in Sydney. I now live in the country 5 hours away.

It appears to be an Islamic terrorist as they are making the hostages hold up an Islamic flag up in the window. It makes me sad to think about the Muslims who will suffer because of this.
  • enjayer
    enjayer Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As an Aussie living in NZ at the moment, I was following the news and found this hashtag being shared #illridewithyou . Check it out, another reason to be proud of Australians and how we band together in the spirit of "mateship"
  • Medilia
    Options
    Yes! I have shared the #illridewithyou tag. I wish I was in Sydney so I could put that into action.
  • Medilia
    Options
    I woke up this morning to the sad news. One hostage was executed and another was shot and passed away in hospital. =(
  • Fitnfab2015
    Options
    Such sad news, may the victims rest in peace :( As a muslim who lives in Egypt, I think that Australians have set an example to the whole world for love and tolerance with this hashtag, and thank you guys for not believing the media and thinking that all of us are terrorists ♥, Most of us are really good people and people such as this lunatic shouldn't be living in the same world as us... this man does not represent us or islam...
    #illgrievewithyou