I couldn't stop myself!

Options
One of my co-workers brought Christmas cookies to work today. I really tried to ignore them. Finally I decided to get just one but that one turned into four. I know this is just the beginning. It's the holiday season and there is always something sweet and delicious waiting for us in the break room. I just really need to stay focused and avoid temptation.

Replies

• CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    tell me about it... :(
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It happens. It's the silly season. :) (There's fudge calling me on the desk next to me).

Just as long as you log it and move on.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I did the same thing (damn brownies).
    I find it's so much easier to not have any at all than to just have one.

All you can do now is move forward. Avoid the break room as much as possible. It also helps to pick one up like you're gonna eat it, and then throw it away. It's surprisingly satisfying. You really should try it at least once.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I heard on NPR not too long ago that drawing a picture of a particular food will make your cravings go away (supposedly a scientific study). So if you want to order a pizza, you would draw it and that helps you end the cravings. How weird - I'm not sure I buy it.

But yeah, tomorrow is supposed to be the office potluck- so there will be loads and loads of super wonderful desserts- things you only see once a year like buckeyes and chocolate covered rice crispie treats, etc.
  • toofatnomore
    toofatnomore Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Stay out if the break room and break somewhere else...or go have a cookie.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Pre-log a cookie and then plan your whole day's meals around having that one cookie BEFORE you even start the day (so the night before). That way you can have that cookie and not feel guilty OR go over your calories.

I've already entered some treats for days around the holidays (not the feast day itself though!), so I can plan the rest of my meals more easily and not feel like I'm depriving myself or risking feeling guilty for going over. It also makes it easier to figure out which days I need a cardio workout to accommodate the treat.

So, I've already logged croissants for breakfast a couple of days, Christmas cake and Christmas pudding with ice cream etc.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    A colleague just gave me a box of candy. It's a Christmas present/ thank you for help throughout the year. She's a lovely person, so I certainly wasn't going to say -No thanks, why would you give me this?? I just have to figure out where it's going to go so I don't go crazy. Until I open it, I'm ok. After that, they call to me, & are a big weakness.
    I have a large size tablet / medication holder. I'm trying to figure out if I put one piece in each compartment, can I keep them as a once a day treat, & not have them all at once? Each piece is about 50 calories, so most days I can work that into my plan.
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    a big-*kitten* basket of crap came in yesterday at work: chocolate, chips, cheese, cake, etc.--and i sit RIGHT BY the kitchen. ya' just gotta walk away; out of sight, out of mind. i have been very good this year being able to resist temptation in the kitchen and only grabbed a couple of things so far. and when i do, i make sure that it fits into my caloric goal (or else i work out a bit extra hard that day ;))

but i understand not being able to resist; just yesterday i caved into cheese fries, fried pickles, calamari, potato skins and pizza at an office happy hour... so of course i had to jump on that treadmill if i didn't want to see a gain (lost a pound, yay water weight :D).

i'm not perfect. no one is! forgive and forget :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For me it was always easier to have ZERO than control myself. See if you're the same. Even if it's just for a short time, maybe it's better to have zero.

Good luck!
  • mrsmalloryevers
    Options
    Log it and plan the rest of your day around it! Just remember that only you can control yourself. I like that idea of just not having it because I'm the same way... once I have one I want more.
  • MsWendyjc
    MsWendyjc Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'll stay strong for you all! LoL .. My scales drop weekly and thats my incentive to keep going .. The sugar and food hangover from these treats would be worse than the day after a full blown bender .. I refuse to give in so easily when i'm winning, especially when i can see the results ... you all have fun ;)
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Eat and enjoy. If I feel "eh?", I don't finish the cookie and discretely trash the rest. If I really like it, I savor it slowly and may have one more but am usually satisfied by then. Log it - no guilt.
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    just try to stay away. I think someone said it best earlier, out of sight - out of mind. During Christmas eve, I'm just going to stay in a different room then the desserts.
  • lisac195
    lisac195 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have decided to enjoy a small snack from all the goodies each day and log the calories. So what if I have to exercise a bit more? If I don't tell myself I can't have it, I am good with just one piece.