1ST TIME TRYING TO GAIN MASS

Options
I JUST STARTED GOING TO THE GYM 2 WEEKS AGO. BACKGROUND I WAS 197 POUNDS STARTED DOING P90X/INSANITY HYBRID AND GOT DOWN TO 165 POUNDS 9% BODY FAT. NOW IM LOOKING TO MASS UP AND GAIN SOME SIZE.

I HAVE NEVER WORKED OUT IN A GYM BEFORE. I STARTED GOING TO THE GYM WITH A BUDDY WHO IS A SERIOUS BODYBUILDER HE IS 225 POUNDS SOLID MUSCLE. MY QUESTION IS WHEN WE GO TO THE GYM HE SAYS WE SHOULD ONLY GO 4 DAYS A WEEK AND WE WORK OUT FOR ONLY 30MINS WE DO 4 DIFFERENT EXERCISES 3 TIMES AND GO TO FAILURE EACH TIME. EVERYTIME WE GO WE DO DIFFERENT EXERCISES THEN THE LAST TIME EXPEXT FOR LEG DAY AND THATS ALWAYS SQUATS.

MY QUESTION IS, IS THIS ENOUGH VOLUME FOR A 1ST TIME LIFTER TO PUT ON SOME MASS? I'M USED TO DOING P90X DOUBLES AND THATS 1HR TO 2HRS A DAY OF WORKING OUT 6 DAYS A WEEK 3 DAYS LIFTING WITH 3 DAYS CARDIO, NOW IM DOING 4 DAYS LIFTING FOR 30MINS AND 2 DAYS OF CARDIO FOR 30MINS.
I FEEL LIKE I SHOULD BE DOING MORE BUT KEEP GETTING TOLD MORE IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER AND 4 DAYS OF 4 MOVES 3 TIMES IS MORE THAN ENOUGH. ITS WORKED FOR HIM BUT HE HAS BEEN WORKING OUT HIS WHOLE LIFE WHEN I JUST STARTED AND IM 34 NOW. IM ALREADY 34 AND DONT WANT TO WASTE ANYMORE TIME.

ANYWAY AND THOUGHTS WOULD HELP.

Replies

• dwygtd
    dwygtd Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    ANYWAT ANY* THOUGHTS WOULD HELP
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    First, you'll have to stop typing in all caps because I've read that will make your penis smaller which is kind of the wrong direction.
  • jrwac77
    jrwac77 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been getting into Bodybuilding and have been working down the same path as you in trying to gain Mass (6' 3", 158lbs). I have been doing a ton of research on this and there are many different paths to take on this. The norm is 3 to 4 days in the Gym with rest days mixed in, myself I due Chest / Arms, Core, Shoulders / Back, Core, Legs, Rest, Cardio / Rest, also I change up the days, sets, and reps to keep it fresh. It's also good to change up your program every few months so you don't get muscle memory where you will Plateau.

Not only exercise but also make sure you are eating right. Calorie surplus is good, but also make sure you are getting adequate protein and Carbs.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    1. Take off Cap locks
    2. Eat more, especially protein
    3. look at moving to a full body workout like Stronglifts 5x5
    4. Work in lower rep ranges with higher weights
    5. log your workouts and make sure you are progressively adding weight.