Will I gain weight if I reverse diet from 1200 calories

Options
Hi there, so At least 10 months ago I stopped eating 700 calories a day after a long time and increased my calories. I was worried I'd put a lot of weight on so I only increased my calories to 1200 and then ate 2500ish and alternate days, I've been lifting weight for the last 8 months and have put in 14kg in muscle and fat. I want my metabolism back to its normal rate so I can lose weight the proper way. What is the best way to do this and how long will it take?
Should I expect to put on a lot more weight or should my metabolism have healed a lot by now?
I want to do things properly for once

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Doing things properly is important because calories and nutrients are what allow you to be healthy.

Why don't you try following the directions for the site and see how that works for you? It's based on pretty good research and has worked for a lot of us both for losing and maintaining.

1. Put in your stats and let MFP tell you how many calories you should eat.
    2. Log all your food and try to average the number of calories that MFP says you need. You might even try hitting the macros.
    3. Log your exercise. If you're lifting weights you need to log them. Eat back those exercise calories. That's how the site is set up.

If you are worried about gaining weight on the amazingly tiny unhealthy amount of food you are eating, then you need to make sure you LOG everything and MEASURE everything. If you log accurately and eat what is recommend your body will come to a healthy balance.

You are about the age of my son and at a time in your life when good nutrition is critically important to support your developing brain and body. Nurture it.
  • danielwillis22
    Options
    I do track everything, I've just been going with the recommended intake to lose 2 pounds a week because I'm impatient and its probably not doing me any good
  • Sailatsorf
    Sailatsorf Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Glad to see that you upped your calories from 700, because that's far too little for a young man like you to have. I'm a 25 year old woman with basically no metabolism to speak of, and 1200 makes me lose just fine.

The question is, do you really need to lose weight? If you're lifting weights, you'll be gaining muscle, which might change your measurements. Look up healthy measurements for someone your age/height (pay close attention to the abdomen ones), and go by measurements instead. Because you're 18 and not quite done growing yet, it's hard to say what exactly you should weigh and how much more you'll grow, etc. Nobody here is a doctor, at least that you know of, so if you have more questions, I'd recommend getting a checkup.

It takes a bit of trial and error. Keep exercising, and change up your calories until you hit a good balance. You won't gain weight that you can't just easily lose by finding the right amount of calories, so don't worry too much about fluctuations. Just do not dip below 1200 a day for sure, and since you're active and young and a man, you should probably be eating more than that.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It is not recommended that you go under 1200 calories NET (adding in exercise) under any conditions. And you can't build muscle is you don't have enough calories.

Two pounds a week is only recommended if you are very overweight. It becomes counterproductive if you are close to your goal weight because your body starts fighting you.
  • jukyu
    jukyu Posts: 80 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    A combination of reverse dieting and a solid lifting routine should help repair the havoc you wrought on your metabolism. By eating at sub-maintenance for so long, your body has adapted by burning fewer calories, so at least early on in the reverse dieting phase, that surplus is inevitably going to be stored as fat for use down the line. Adding lean muscle mass is going to help minimize that fat storage, though. Add the calories in slowly and incrementally, it will optimize your body's acclimation to the new intake.

Also, please note, reverse dieting takes time. You admittedly starved yourself for "a long time". Give yourself at least that much time to recover.
  • hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    What is your height and weight? 1200 is probably too low for any growing 18 yr old guy!

I'm worried any guy your age thinking like this has body image issues. Don't try to be someone your genes would never let you be. Be the healthiest version of you that you can be.
  • Jessalynn54
    Jessalynn54 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    ^^ Your stats will help you get better answers. Body fat, height, weight, etc... If you haven't been eating a lot for awhile you may be at a healthier weight now by gaining that 30lbs?