Please help with plateau

Options
On Jan 16th of this year, I weighted 202lbs. Today, I am down to 163 and I've lost 30 inches. BUT I've hit a plateau. I've actually weighed 163 for about 2 months now.

I maintain about a 1300 calorie diet and work out once or twice a day (CrossFit). I have a desk job that limits my mobility during the day. I have opened my diary up for any help that you all can give me. I log my foods but I do not weigh them. I know some will say that 1300 calories isn't enough but I stay that low to allow for me not weighing my portions.

Please offer any advice to get over the plateau.

Replies

• logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I was the same weight for about a month, even with logging and weighing for 1340 calories a day. I was strength training (2x/week) and running (3x/week), but what got me losing weight again was adding back HIIT into my routine. I used the Seven-Minute Workout for 28 minutes (2x/week... replaced a strength training day since it uses a lot of body weight exercises).

Anything that will get your heart rate up to 80% of max will certainly help. So for me, it was being able to feel my heart about to beat out of my carotid artery that signaled I was really burning some calories. (Of course, make sure your heart is healthy enough to push it like that. :)

Good luck!
  • Giddyduck
    Giddyduck Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I also have up and down with my weight. Essentially in a plateau. I have just started to get it off again.

I looked back through your diary for about a week, I noticed that your sodium is a bit high. Sodium affects everyone differently. It affects me greatly. Might be something to review and decrease. Also, you could play with the protein. I did see that your protein was not over 100 grams on any of the days. Not sure if you monitor your macros. Carbs/Fats/Protein 30/35/35 is one way. My diary is open too although my calorie intake is really low now as I am carb cycling.

My last suggestion is to ensure that you are drinking enough water. The theory is one ounce for half your body weight or more. If you drink coffee, it should be replaced with water that doesn't count in the mix. (I drink 144-160 ounces per day)

Hope it helps.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Start weighing your food :) you'll be surprised.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    tsawrie wrote: »
    On Jan 16th of this year, I weighted 202lbs. Today, I am down to 163 and I've lost 30 inches. BUT I've hit a plateau. I've actually weighed 163 for about 2 months now.

I maintain about a 1300 calorie diet and work out once or twice a day (CrossFit). I have a desk job that limits my mobility during the day. I have opened my diary up for any help that you all can give me. I log my foods but I do not weigh them. I know some will say that 1300 calories isn't enough but I stay that low to allow for me not weighing my portions.

tsawrie you have done well.

Plateaus can be the normal brain response due to the signs it gets from some of our 50 harmones. The brain does not know the lack of food is not real perhaps. :) Some say lose 10% of starting weight and hold for six months then go again.

Something that helps me and may be worthless to you is I will gain back a couple pounds and hold it there for a few weeks then start the loss process again. I keep eating the same way but add in more Fat and or Protein but never CARBS.

As I mentioned have been stuck at 220 (years of yo yo'ing 220-250-220-250). I got down to 215 a couple days and got some congestion so stopped and got back to 217 and will hold there until the congestion clears. If I do get really sick I will stop any weight loss and try to gain back two pounds then go again when better. It may work just because I am an old man. :)

My overall health is my goal not XXX weight by XXXX date.

• tsawrie
    tsawrie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. I do need to start weighing my foods. I know that will help. I've had some people tell me I'm not eating enough, others telling me to drop back down to 1200 calories. I try to get the protein in but that always seems to raise my carbs.
    Although I don't track in in MFP, I do drink plenty of water. I drink 64 oz by noon, a 16 oz while working out, another 32 oz in the afternoon and then another 32 oz after dinner/before bed. And yes, I'm up all night!

Any suggestions on getting the protein up without increasing my carbs? I eat a protein bar but even those have quite a few calories.

I can add running a mile or so to my exercise. As I stated, I do CrossFit almost every day at lunch and then go back for an evening class. But if it's running that I need to add, I can do that if that's what it takes.
  • tsawrie
    Options
    3uaji6zz6raz.jpg

I know I've come a long way since Sept 2013, but I've got about 20 lbs to go!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options

Eat 1500 calories a day and do HIIT for an hour a day. See what happens in a week.
  • tsawrie
    Options

Eat 1500 calories a day and do HIIT for an hour a day. See what happens in a week.

Can you give me an ideal HIIT workout?
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    3uaji6zz6raz.jpg

I know I've come a long way since Sept 2013, but I've got about 20 lbs to go!

This is awesome! I would like to suggest making sure you are getting enough rest and up your calories by a 100 or two. But make those calories count by making them protien. :)

• pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Start weighing your food :) you'll be surprised.

Absolutley this! How can you know you're eating at a deficit if you don't weigh?

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    The proof of your success is in the photos. Actually the article below has some good pointers on losing at the end. The zig zag eating was interesting.

beachbody.com/beachbodyblog/weight-loss/ask-expert-lose-last-pounds
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Good job! I've hit many plateaus during my journey. I didn't start losing again until I upped my calories. Also recommend trying to mix up your workouts. If not already doing HIIT, give it a try.