Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,992 Member
    Options
    It's popular right now, because media.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I don't because I have celiac. Otherwise, I'd be all over that stuff.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I don't because..carbs.

I only eat about 18g of carbs a day and would rather use them on vegetables and nuts.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I don't because I have celiac. Otherwise I'd eat it if I could.
  • mforrestall
    mforrestall Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I try not to as a recommendation from my neurologist to reduce migraines. I'm not 100% there yet, but trying!
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I try to reduce it as much as possible, because it keeps my weight low and allows me to shift the focus from carbs to other macronutrients
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I don't eat as much as I used to - but that is simply because it's carb and calorie heavy. That being said homemade pizza last night, grilled ham and cheese on rye for breakfast - melba toasts with my lunch today .......so yeah........
  • mrsmalloryevers
    Options
    I try not to as a recommendation from my neurologist to reduce migraines. I'm not 100% there yet, but trying!

Didn't know it causes migraines.... Maybe I need to watch my wheat intake... I get migraines AT LEAST once a week!
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I don't because it's one of a few triggers of my nasty autoimmune issue and inflammation, joint pain, dermatitis, stomach cramps and mood swings/depression/anxiety/self-harm are NO fun. There are plenty of non-wheat options - I don't miss it one bit.
  • mforrestall
    mforrestall Posts: 37 Member
    Options

Didn't know it causes migraines.... Maybe I need to watch my wheat intake... I get migraines AT LEAST once a week!

I see a naturopath who firmly believes that if you're "sensitive" to gluten that it can trigger migraines. I checked with my neurologist who said the empirical research and data is limited, but that there is a wide body of anecdotal support. She supported me trying as sort of a "kitchen sink" approach to dealing with the migraines and because I have no other medical issues, there was really no harm in limiting it to see.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I are sensitive to wheat. Headaches, symmetrical rashes and intestinal issues. My wife and son are totally ok eating it.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I have coeliac, so can't eat wheat, but if I could you'd never be able to tear me out of the beautiful new Krispy Kreme that just opened up where I live.... :'(
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    inflammation, terrible gas, stomach cramps. since I stopped eating wheat, all my symptoms have disappeared. That's good enough a reason for me.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I almost never eat it because of the carbs...just one or two pieces of bread a month if I am at a restaurant with a very good homemade bread basket. When I cut wheat and increased protein...keeping calories exactly the same...my weight loss dramatically improved.
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    Bread adds a lot of calories to your meal. Especially when you dip it in olive oil or add butter, etc. Sometimes, the bread will even double the calorie content of a sandwich depending on the ingredients. And I find it doesn't do much for keeping you from being hungry later. So, while I enjoy it, I grossly limit my intake of bread. I avoid crackers and snacks like that as well, not because I have a digestive problem with wheat, but just because they are easy to abuse, and you get no nutrition and a lot of calories... and hunger shortly afterwards. I treat bread like a treat or like I would something like pie.

While I believe there is some merit to the recent alarm given to over consumption of grains, or using them as the foundation of your diet... I won't go so far as to believe they can't be consumed in moderation, provided you account for the calories, and provided you don't have digestive issues with them. Personally, I feel that if you eat the vegetables and lean protein you should be eating, AND are conscious of your total caloric intake... there just isn't much room for things like bread/pasta. If you have a lot of caloric room in your diet to eat a lot of bread and pasta... you probably aren't consuming enough of the other stuff that your body needs.