One small choice, huge snowball effect!!!!!!! *HOLIDAY EATING*

Options
TopazCutie
TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
edited December 2014 in Success Stories
I HAVE to share this story.

Last night, I ate my dinner according to plan, and finished my night with a dessert of Greek Yogurt and Granola :) Perfect right?!

Something told me to have one Oreo cookie before bed. Just one! Not a whole row or two, like old times, but just ONE Oreo cookie. And I KNEW in my SOUL, that I was actually going to stick to one or MAX two. But for some unknown reason, I just decided to skip it altogether.

The chain reaction that is happening, is flawless.

Later that night, a full pizza and fries was in my house!!!! At this point it was almost 11pm and I was already in bed. I debated on getting a slice, but just forced myself to go to sleep lol. And it worked!

Fast forward to today, there was just a huge flash potluck at work, where there was pizza, desserts, cookies, chips, macaroons, fried chicken, pasta and the works!!! Guess what? I didn't pile my plate high like old times. In fact, since it was a flash potluck (I call it that because another department actually got the food, then called everyone else over at the last minute with no forewarning lol). Everyone went crazy. I didn't get anything, instead just made some tea and got a few clementines.

If I ate that Oreo I probably would have been opposite knowing me! So proud of myself.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    That's great and was hard to do but you did it!! Kudos!!
  • ProjectEm
    ProjectEm Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I know I struggle with the same thing!
  • TopazCutie
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dp
  • logicalinks
    logicalinks Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY!! Good choices beget other good choices. As the NSVs pile up, we realize that we're stronger than we thought. And resisting in the moment allows you to look back and understand that most "unmindful" eating is caused, not because we are actually hungry, but because of availability, convenience, cravings, peer pressure, smells that trigger memories, emotional eating, etc. The more mindful your eating becomes, the more you will feel what you're body actually "needs" and healthy choices becomes easier and easier.
    Way to go!!
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Way to go! For me pizza is made by the devil. I CANNOT just have one piece.
  • SbetaK
    SbetaK Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Terrific will power! Don't you feel good now that you stayed true to your goals? Every step in the right direction adds to your strength. Keep up the good work!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    THE-OREO_www.destinydavison.com_2014.jpg
  • Dawmelvan
    Dawmelvan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Fantastic willpower!
    The slippery slopes can be hard to avoid, but you did a great job!
    While I was losing (maintaining for a little over a year now), I had to repeatedly ask myself, "do you really want to eat that", and 99.9% of the time, the answer to myself was NO. It got me through a lot of potential overeating situations.
  • TopazCutie
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Remember that study where they took a group of hotel maids that cleaning rooms was all the exercise they needed to lose weight? That's all they did, and the group LOST WEIGHT. The control group (not told anything) didn't lose.

So, if you think you're doing something good for yourself, you'll continue to make good choices down that path.
  • AShannon54
    AShannon54 Posts: 111 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You rock, thank you for the story. I have been battling my own holiday food demons. I did just 'ok' at my company potluck yesterday. Much better than the 'old days' for sure but I also did the 'just one cookie' thing at lunch today.... but instead I ate the cookie. Your story rings true that it can be better to 'just say no' than to let it snowball into multiple bad habits over the course of a day/week/month... Oh holidays... I love you and I h(ate) you too! o:)>:)
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    The power of the domino effect!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    THE-OREO_www.destinydavison.com_2014.jpg

This thing is cute.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    so-anyway-o.gif
  • berto23
    berto23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Is not easy, but you did It!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Glad you listened to YOU!
  • TopazCutie
    Options
    Thanks!! For dinner I had chicken, half an avocado, small amount of rice, and kidney beans. Handful of cashews. done eating at 7pm!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I just have been eating at my desk, staying in the cube. Last time I went to the break room there were homemade fudge and caramels in there. I will go back there after the New year.
  • cassleeten
    cassleeten Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good Job! I know how hard it is, today I passed by a box of chocolates, a tray of assorted xmas cookies and some sugar cookies with melted chocolate to dip them it. When I told my co-worker I would pass because I was trying to cut out junk food she looked at me like I was crazy. Or maybe she was insulted because I called her cookies junk food....hmmm.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!