I can't believe my eyes!!

Options
I brought a Polar HRM and used it for the first time yesterday. I did Turbo Jam for 40 minutes and it says I burnt 185 calories, I have been using MFP to calculate my calories burnt for the last 4 months, which states that Turbo Jam burns 499 calories in 40 minutes, Well now I know why I have been losing weight so slowly and why for 3 weeks I didn’t lose anything.

I have been eating to many calories thinking I had lots to spare ;-(. So folks if you haven’t got one already please buy a HRM with Calories burnt!!! Next I need to buy a scale for portion control!!!

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    That is quite a shock! You've convinced me that I should get one. Only about a month until I can afford it. :P
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    worthy investments: HRM with chest strap, food scale, measuring spoons, measuring cups.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I went thru that exact same realization in the middle of my first round of P90X. The estimates just don't cut it (pun intended) for most of us.
  • Charlea1981
    Charlea1981 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Measuring spoons and cups LOL, never heard of them!!!
  • TiffanyW1014
    TiffanyW1014 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I agree. I was way off on my figuring before I got my HRM. I love it and I have been able to stay on track since!
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I've been using my digital scale which calculates nutritional info as well as my measuring spoons and cups......but I think I have the same problem with the calories being burned vs. what I am eating back :frown:

Been using our new treadmill with iFit live preprogrammed workouts (using female, height, weight, etc.) since the end of January and am so frustrated and unhappy as the scale is not moving or if it does it seems to be the same 2 pounds up and down :sad: I forgot to take my measurments when I started so can't compare in that area but I am making it a habit to take my measurements every 15th of the month and seems that I may have lost some inches......just NOT pounds :grumble:

I just purchased a Polar FT40 2 weeks ago (my older HRM didn't calculate calories) with free shipping and it arrived overnight from heartratemonitors dot com (I have used them in the past for my older FS3 HRM and a pedometer) as it was on sale and also found an $10.00 off total online code as well to help with the price of the HRM :bigsmile:

Now, according to the threadmill (for one day last week), it said I burned 219 calories but was wearing my new polar HRM (with chest strap) and it said I burned 169 calories :huh:

I guess my calories have been off all along since I started using the treadmill ?? I am now going to use the calories that come up on my HRM and try to figure out how to get the scale moving down :ohwell:
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I got a SportLine HRM over the weekend I love it! Don't think I will ever be able to live with out one again!!
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    That is quite a shock! You've convinced me that I should get one. Only about a month until I can afford it. :P

You will love it, I just got one as an early Mom's Day gift :)

Congrats on hitting 10% of your goal!!
  • my3girlsri
    my3girlsri Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am so new to this. What's a HRM? I also do turbo jam but did not find it on the exercise list so I just put in aerobics.WHere did you find turbo on the exercise list?
  • Minnie_Moo
    Options
    I am so new to this. What's a HRM?

HRM stands for heart rate monitor :wink:
  • shulaw
    shulaw Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    your psot is exactley why i bought my hrm , i had teh same concerns and decided i just couldt live with estimates, and now i love my hrm it goes everywhere with me :)
  • lelee17
    lelee17 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Man, that stinks! Good to know. I had a feeling the calories burned were way off on here. I just ordered my Polar HRM yesterday.
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    It is an eye opener! I've used my HRM for 5+ years, and can't help but say something when a friend posts that they burned like 900 calories in 30 minutes. It's just not possible for a lot of people!
  • Atlantya
    Atlantya Posts: 2
    Options
    I've worn a Body Bugg pretty much 24/7 for about two years now, and it was definitely an eye-opener when I realized that I burned much less calories than I thought and that I moved much less throughout my day than I thought I did and consequently burned a lot less calories. I've found a monitor of some sort, be it a HRM or an accelerometer like a Body Bugg is a great tool.
  • carro585
    carro585 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am so new to this. What's a HRM? I also do turbo jam but did not find it on the exercise list so I just put in aerobics.WHere did you find turbo on the exercise list?

For turbo jam I searched for kickboxing, and one of the options says "kickboxing (including turbo jam)". Though after this post, I wonder if the calories burned are accurate for it!
  • NiallWallace
    NiallWallace Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Even HRMs are taking a best guess based on the factors you've put in, and apparently are more accurate for walking/running than other sports. Some people on bike forums say they have to take 1/4 of the HRM Calorie value for cycling to get anything near the right value based on various cycling calculators produced by sports scientists and cycling organisations.

I tend to use this http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm and there is an excel based one that does much the same but isn't quite as simple to use available from the UK Cyclist Touring Club.
  • Charlea1981
    Charlea1981 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone, thanks I have learnt so much, it is a right bumper but the worst thing is now drastically cutting back on my food intake,:angry: maybe its a good thing as already it is making me work and push harder, eat less and exercise more!!!! :wink: Watch this space hopefully I will be losing alot more weight now, :laugh: I must admit the reason for delay buying one was due to the price but I think it is defo worth it, this is our health guys and if you are serious about losing weight and feeling great it is actually Priceless :flowerforyou:
  • Minnie_Moo
    Options
    I must admit the reason for delay buying one was due to the price but I think it is defo worth it, this is our health guys and if you are serious about losing weight and feeling great it is actually Priceless :flowerforyou:

Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

As I posted above, I purchased a Polar FT40 about 2 weeks ago. The FT-40 has the Polar Fitness test which measures your aerobic fitness at rest and tells you your progress.