First time posting, 230 something to 206lbs

Options
I've been keeping track of my calorie intake and exercise for 4 or 5 months I think. I've read the message boards a bit but haven't posted before. When I started here I weighed 225lbs. I had been trying to lose weight a few months before that and believe I did, but during that time I'm not sure how much I weighed, but if I had to guess probably 230 something, maybe even 240. That is the most I have weighed in my life.

I have been working out when I can. I was going on walks sometimes but now that the snow has come I haven't been. I have an exercise bike in my bedroom that I used 2 or 3 times a week. Usually I watch a few tv shows or a movie, and decide that I have to be biking until it is over. Even if I slow down a lot, as long as I keep going. That seems to work for me.

I've been worried about posting, telling my story because I am aware that a lot people here don't like the 1200 calorie a day diets. But I figured I should share my results because they are what they are. I currently weigh 206lbs. I am so excited to see the scale drop below 200 pounds!!!!!

I had hit a wall. For a while I was eating 12-1500 calories a day and working my butt off and barely losing weight. Basically I was maintaining it. It made me really sad. So now, honestly I eat less than 500 calories a day 2 or 3 times a week. Some days I drink lots of water and coffee and don't eat anything at all. Some days I just eat a salad or an energy bar. The other days I eat around 1200. I mostly eat fruits, veggies and meats. I have been consistent with this for about 2 months. I don't even get that hungry any more and when I do, sometimes just drinking a coffee or a lot of water, or a very small snack helps me feel better. I don't feel weak, I can still work out most days. And I don't feel urges to binge. I just eat a little and then I'm fine. And I feel like I could continue eating this way, like changing my life style and I'll be fine.

This is the only thing that has worked for me. Exercising is harder for me than just eating less. Though I do exercise when I can motivate myself. I work a lot too, so. I'm just sharing my progress, telling it like it is. Has anyone else had success with off and on fasting?

Replies

• kristimason3
    kristimason3 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Its brave of you to put your story out here. I'm glad you are seeing success. I don't want to sound like the diet police and I've been chastised plenty for being under my goals but 500 calories a day?! Everyone is different but I think I'd die after a week or two. There's definitely a better way. Intermittent fasting....I think it might be an ok way to kick start a diet, but certainly not sustainable long term. If the goal is to keep it off you've gotta figure out how to eat at least close to your goal calories and still lose. There are alot of great substitutions for foods you probably like out there. Have you tried that avenue? I've had a lot of success that way. A few years back I did the whole juicing craze for awhile. I lost some weight but of course it all came back as soon as I started eating food again. Now I still juice occasionally but as a part of my overall food plan. I have an open diary and you can add me if you like.
  • sabrinalynn777
    sabrinalynn777 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    500 calories was difficult the first few weeks... but now it isn't as hard. Some days I plan to fast and not eat anything, but at the end of the day I give in and eat a salad and a piece of chicken or fish or something like that. But I love salad, I can eat a lettuce, tomato, cucumber salad and a glass of water and get filled up usually, since I've been eating so much less it is easier to fill my stomach up now.

The one thing though is that the way I've been eating honestly makes me afraid to eat more than I have been eating, because I worry that I would just gain weight quickly.

I feel like I've put myself in a situation where if I did start eating like 1200 calories a day every day again I might gain the weight back, and I don't want to do that...

Also I was eating a lot of pickles when I was hungry, but I wasn't considering my salt intake, I've been trying to pay attention to that more now. On days I feel very hungry I eat a lot of veggies, cucumbers, stuff like that. I don't eat any sweets other than fruit and creamer in my coffee. So that hasn't been a problem. I'll add you sure, thanks.
  • OldChief14
    OldChief14 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    it's working and you don't feel sick...to each their own say I. Just don't skip out on regularly scheduled visits to your health provider...no more or no less than usual. Congrats!
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    This is not a success story. Sorry. You're advocating starvation diets.
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options

This
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options

This

Yeah. I mean, I guess it's working for you now, but how long can someone realistically sustain that kind of eating? Why are you eating so little? There's a better (and easier) way to do it, though it might be slower... *sigh* Quite frankly, I feel bad for you. :(
  • Wondertje
    Wondertje Posts: 63 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My god, what is wrong with these forums. It's more than functional to be on a cyclic VLCD (very low calorie diet) for a somewhat shorter period of time whilst trying to lose weight. It's common in many diets, including the very famous 5:2 diet which everyone was so amazed by a few years back. It's not neccesarily unhealthy and is more than often recommended by dieticians and doctors (and no, those are not all the "bad doctors" that you all claim to know they are). People on this forum (like so many other diet forums) are so narrow minded and closed off to any other ideas than their own that it's just scary and quite frankly very uninviting to new people.

Oh, and before anyone shoots the gun at me, no I don't personally approve of VLCD and starvation diets as a general solution, but it's not the end of the world if someone has found a method that works for them and that includes regular fasting. God damnit, most people here (from what I've heard/seen/been recommended) are on IF and go 16-22 hours without eating based on their determined schedule and no one calls THAT a starvation diet, which quite frankly is very hypocritical!

Also, assuming the person isn't losing weight too fast or at an unhealthy rate, it's clearly not a starvation diet. This forum's godly chant remember: calories in, calories out. If she's small, doesn't exercise or just isn't born with a very high metabolism, she very well might be getting what she needs on average over a week to sustain herself. If not, sure she has an issue, but jumping to the conclusion she does without knowing is just rude and not to mention harmful. Creating unhealthy eating habits or eating disorders where they don't exist is a great start to making people feel awful about themselves and lead them right on the path to actually develop one.

Be kind and gentle, and treat people the way you'd want to be treated. I'm sure most people here (not this thread in particular, but MFP) wouldn't want to be treated the way I've seen them post sometimes over the forums.
  • RosaileenB
    RosaileenB Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It's great that you are eating healthier but 500 calories a day is really too little. Have you been to the doctor? My mother-in-law lost a lot of weight because she always felt full and didn't want to eat much. She ended up having a tumor in her stomach which made her feel full. She passed away 3 weeks later. We didn't know she was sick, she said felt fine but had no appetite.

I would recommend going to the doctor, make sure everything is okay, and if she/he gives you the "okay" with your diet/nutrition then carry on.
  • sabrinalynn777
    sabrinalynn777 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wondertje wrote: »
    My god, what is wrong with these forums. It's more than functional to be on a cyclic VLCD (very low calorie diet) for a somewhat shorter period of time whilst trying to lose weight. It's common in many diets, including the very famous 5:2 diet which everyone was so amazed by a few years back. It's not neccesarily unhealthy and is more than often recommended by dieticians and doctors (and no, those are not all the "bad doctors" that you all claim to know they are). People on this forum (like so many other diet forums) are so narrow minded and closed off to any other ideas than their own that it's just scary and quite frankly very uninviting to new people.

Oh, and before anyone shoots the gun at me, no I don't personally approve of VLCD and starvation diets as a general solution, but it's not the end of the world if someone has found a method that works for them and that includes regular fasting. God damnit, most people here (from what I've heard/seen/been recommended) are on IF and go 16-22 hours without eating based on their determined schedule and no one calls THAT a starvation diet, which quite frankly is very hypocritical!

Also, assuming the person isn't losing weight too fast or at an unhealthy rate, it's clearly not a starvation diet. This forum's godly chant remember: calories in, calories out. If she's small, doesn't exercise or just isn't born with a very high metabolism, she very well might be getting what she needs on average over a week to sustain herself. If not, sure she has an issue, but jumping to the conclusion she does without knowing is just rude and not to mention harmful. Creating unhealthy eating habits or eating disorders where they don't exist is a great start to making people feel awful about themselves and lead them right on the path to actually develop one.

Be kind and gentle, and treat people the way you'd want to be treated. I'm sure most people here (not this thread in particular, but MFP) wouldn't want to be treated the way I've seen them post sometimes over the forums.

Yea... I've been learning more about the IF and honestly it is working for me. I get full a lot easier now and do have energy during the day. I understand I shouldn't fast under 500 calories a day multiple days in a row so I am going to stop doing that. And on regular eating days I will try to eat at least 1200. Also I think I will quit having not eating at all days. Sometimes that does make me feel sick and I think 500 calories in the evening works better for me, it isn't difficult like the 0 calorie days are. I guess I don't feel like I'm starving myself... But I was worried people would jump down my throat and say I am. It is why I can't really talk to anyone in my real life about this. But a lot of people have been being supportive on this site and helping me understand how our bodies work better than I understood before.