Side Lateral Dumb Bell Raises Concern...

Options
I am pretty new to the weight lifting community. When I lift my arm to a side lateral position (even without any weight) my shoulder "pops". It doesn't go out of socket or anything, it's just not comfortable. Should I try another exercise, and if so which one? Just not sure what I should do, or if I should work through it or not.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• ThePoeToaster
    ThePoeToaster Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    hard to say. try upright rows. It's probably nothing serious, just a weird thing that happens when you use muscles differently than they are use to moving. If there is ever pain, that's when you get it checked out.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you are doing them straight arm? What happens when you bend slightly at the elbows or keep a 90-degree angle at the elbow?

I have a shoulder that pops on those as well, and a slight bend seems to help. I don't know the science behind it, although I suspect it has something to do with the physics of the weight and the angle and the force placed on the joint. Personally, I tend to skip that exercise, as I find the overhead press seems to cover shoulder work pretty thoroughly (and I'm lazy).
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well, when I use dumbbells to do overhead presses. If it's shoulders you're wanting to work, try overhead presses with a barbell. I do those with no problems, so I figure it has something to do your shoulders not liking the angle you're forcing them into.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It may not be anything, then again, it may be something. Personally if you are new to lifting weights side lateral raises are not really something you should be focusing on. That is what is called an isolation movement. In other words it focuses on one rather tiny muscle group at that in that is pretty much works only the deltoids, and really only primarily the lateral head of the deltoids. There is a place for such exercises, but not generally for a beginner.

I would say focus on dumbell overhead presses. They will work more of the overall shoulder structure, your arms, and if you do them standing it will even work your stabilizing muscles. Notice by doing them you work more than you ever will with an isolation exercise.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. Bend over slightly at the waist and keep your elbows slightly bent.
    side-dumbbell-lateral-raise.jpg
  • mommamisty823
    Options
    Thanks you guys! I do keep my arms straight so I'll try a bend at the elbow. I also noticed that if i rotate the position of my hands that it doesn't happen. I went to a personal trainer on my lunch to have him check my form and he suggested the bent elbow as well.
  • supnicole
    supnicole Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Sometimes this happens to me if I go too heavy. If bending doesn't work, try lightening the weight.