Oatmeal Mix-Ins

Options
Justifier
Justifier Posts: 336 Member
I want to start bringing oatmeal to work, but I work in an elementary school so I am very conscious about bringing allergens into the building. I will be packing plain oatmeal+mixins dry at night and adding hot water from our dispenser in the teacher's lounge in the morning.

What can I add to my oatmeal besides peanut butter to make it tasty?

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Hey! Peanut butter! You won't be adding THAT will you?
    • Vanilla
    • Almonds
    • Dragon's Blend Holy Crap Cereal
    • Raisins/Currants/Dried Cranberries
    • Chia
    • Hemp
    • Powdered MIlk
    • Cinnamon
    • Sunflower seeds
    • Walnuts

As you can see, I love my oatmeal.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit
    Almond butter
    Flaxseed
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My default porridge mix includes a pinch of salt, a dash or two of milk, and a little dark brown sugar/ maple syrup for sweetness. My additions then have included:
    • Dried cranberries (wonderfully chewy, yet little sweet too)
    • Coconut oil (lovely, especially when included w/ peanut butter)
    • Flaked almonds
    • Applesauce (homemade one; semi-stewed and mashed apple w/ little salt & lemon juice)
    • Grated apple
    • Cinnamon (sometimes mixed w/ dried ginger; 4 parts cinnamon, 1 part ginger)
    • Blueberries (frozen, just stirred in as porridge is almost done)
    • Seed mix (ground pumpkin, sunflower, hemp and flax)

Most often, several of the above together tend to get added. As regards what others have added, I've seen some people add egg whites, which I'm intrigued to try one day..

By the way, if you don't have access to milk, and want to make up a completely dry blend to add water too, a little skimmed milk powder can be a handy addition to give that little bit of wonderful creaminess :smile:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    That is a lot of messing around with oats.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely try many of these in the future. For tomorrow I'm going with cinnamon sugar and a couple Hershey's kisses which will melt into lovely chocolateness when I add the hot water.
  • KJoubert1966
    Options
    Cranraisins/coconut/sunflower kernels, chocolate flavored protein powder and banana, grated apple and cinnamon, a smashed up protein bar,
  • ryanhorn
    ryanhorn Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Bananas, Mocha Powder, and Cinnamon. It'll change your life.