Single dad of 2. Looking for Tips

Options
This is my first post, so I have no idea if this is the spot to post this on. Please direct me where to if it isn't. I am looking for some low cal, high protein meal ideas that are kid friends. I have full custody of two boys, 8 and 9, that are not that picky, but I'm sick of making separate meals!!

Thanks.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    While it can be a balancing act the diet needs of 8-9 year old boys can be very different from the diet needs of adults. Ours are feeding themselves but when they were that age it seemed like they were hungry twice as often as I was. We just feed them when they go hungry and they never got fat but they did have a lot of fat in their diet so they could develop.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I don't have any specific recipes for you but what I do is prepare my meat and veg. I eat just that but I add carbs for the kids- eg some rice or potato. I wouldn't give kids a high protein/low carb diet as they need the energy from carbs to exercise and grow (in my opinion).
  • fatkidjogging
    fatkidjogging Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yea, I understand they do not need a low cal/high protein diet. I did mean it more where I could add something to theirs to make it more kid friendly. I'm not worried as much about what they eat, they are healthy and get a lot of exercise throughout the day, but more of the fact of not making two meals.
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
  • craftymommy
    craftymommy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Why do you need to make two meals?

My 10 year old loves Build-Your-Own nights. I just prep everything and we make our own. Her favorite is tostadas (but whatever meal you can do similarly will work). So I cook or put out all the toppings (grilled chicken/mushrooms/zucchini, lettuce, fresh salsa, sour cream, cheese, fresh herbs), and she can pick what she wants to put her food together. It's fun for her and she knows she will like what she creates.

Also, sometimes, cutting things into fun shapes will work - or giving it a fun name. I've done both those. Her friends love the fun shaped foods she finds in her lunch at school. find sturdy cookie cutters so that it's easy and fast to make a shape. I also cook meatloaf in a cupcake pan, she gets a kick out of that. I tell her we're having cupcakes for dinner when I make those (you can add mashed potato on top for icing, but I don't always do this - thank you, pinterest!). Or dress up things around the food. In her school lunch once I got those sticky eyes and pasted them all over. Her banana had eyes, her sandwich holder had eyes, and I got girl eyes for all of the one direction people on her lunchbox. That one made me laugh all while I was sticking the eyes everywhere. Once for her birthday I individually wrapped all of her food in birthday wrapping paper.

These are our general dinner rules:
    1. Not allowed to say you don't like something if you have not tried it. (If she has tried it and not liked it, I am okay with that and will not make her eat it.)
    2. If I cook (I like to experiment with new things) and it is horrible tasting to both of us it is an automatic pizza night (she loves this rule, but honestly it rarely happens).
    3. If she seriously can't stand what I have cooked that night, she is more than welcome to cook or make herself something (within reason for a 10 year old; I've been doing this rule since she was 5 and could make small things like sandwiches for herself). This surprisingly also rarely happens, but she has done it a few times the last 5 years.

This is just what works for us. You will find what works for you and your kids. experiment with new foods, you'd be surprised what kids will like to eat - and have FUN!

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Hamburgers and fajitas popped into my mind first. Also, any roasted/grilled meat with a veggie side and taters for the kids.
  • fatkidjogging
    Options
    I have definitely had to do pizza night because of experimenting. I do not make 2 meals every time, but I wanted some more meals that we could both enjoy. My creativity as of late has been lacking. I like all the options you all have mentioned so far. Especially the fajitas. Thanks!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I have definitely had to do pizza night because of experimenting. I do not make 2 meals every time, but I wanted some more meals that we could both enjoy. My creativity as of late has been lacking. I like all the options you all have mentioned so far. Especially the fajitas. Thanks!

I just made a great fajita recipe in the oven. Three peppers, two small onions, 1 lb of chicken, 2 tbs vegetable oil and a packet go low sodium fajita mix. Combine all and bake for 40ish minutes at 350. Squeeze a lime over it when done. Pick toppings you like!

It was quick, easy, tasty and I used tortillas or didn't use them based on my macros for the day. I also use NF Greek yogurt in place of sour cream. Hard to tell the difference!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    No one has said "just the tip" yet? Ok...in. Chicken nuggets, bean burritos, fish tacos, chili, beef stew, beef ravioli, taco salad, chef salad, regular tacos, spaghetti and meatballs....
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    The crockpot can be your best friend, dude!! I love this site - lots of great recipes on there. And the lady does note if the recipe was a hit or a flop - which I really appreciate! http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

There's also Skinnytaste http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/ - she even has recipes on how to make your own chicken nuggets and fish sticks. I make her mac and cheese w/ broccoli on the regular.
  • fatkidjogging
    Options
    I love some crockpot cooking, especially where I am at this time of year. Hearty/healthy. Always solid.
  • deanna418
    deanna418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Pinterest is a great place to get recipes and I recently discovered this website through my sister. http://mylovelylittlelunchbox.com/
  • rosah2
    rosah2 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Tonight I made a roasted meat and vegetable dinner. This is very versatile because you can choose what vegetables and meats to add and the kids can even choose which ones to put on their plates once you have cooked it.

I used potatoes, carrots, summer squash, cauliflower, portebello mushrooms, onion, chicken breast tenders, steak and brats. I cut the meats in chunks and browned them in a skillet with a T of coconut oil. The vegetables were cut into chunks, put in a gallon sized storage bag with a small amount of oil, shaken to coat and dumped onto a large cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. I added the meat and used salt, lemon pepper seasoning and garlic pepper seasoning, baked it in a 450 degree oven until the vegs were tender.

I think kids would like this.
  • _riddikulus_
    _riddikulus_ Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    single mom of 2 cats also looking for tips