Logging while on cruise/vacation

Options
I don't know whether anyone previously posted on this topic.

So am doing a Caribbean cruise in January 2015 - wifi is unlikely and given my last experience, it's very slllllloooooow and expensive. So while on a 7 day cruise and having primarily a 24 hour restaurant situation meals wise, what are people doing/done to log in the daily calories and how have others managed to figure out what calories you took in given that it is prepared food? Vacations are clearly fun and games and debauchery but I don't want to entirely let go and want to stay reasonably focused on the trip. Any and all tips and comments are graciously welcomed ~!~

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I never log on vacation or a cruise - especially for a cruise because I'm not paying the extra high internet fees just to log. The way I look at it I'm not going to eat at McDonalds or some other chain that is in the database so whatever I log isn't going to be accurate anyway. I just try not to eat EVERYTHING I see and get in a lot of movement on vacation.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Just get a paper diary and write down what you eat, so you have an awareness and accountablity. I wouldn't worry about the numbers, or if you want to you can get a pocket calorie book. Don't worry about filling in MFP when you get back (too much work).

If they are buffet style meals head to the salad bar first and fill up on veggies. But enjoy yourself.
  • TopazCutie
    TopazCutie Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    agreeing with the others, enjoy yourself and don't worry! Just eyeball stuff.
  • CharleneMarie723
    CharleneMarie723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Treat yourself to the formal dining options. The quality of the food is much better and the portions are smaller. I always make a point to take the stairs, skip lunch while off the ship, and get as much exercise in as possible without making it formal exercise. I brought a weight watchers book with me and used that to estimate points so I wouldn't eat too much (back when I was in maintenance) and it worked well. I actually lost 3lbs on a 7 night cruise. Have a wonderful and safe trip.
  • zenaxe
    zenaxe Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments ! B)
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't bother logging. You won't be able to figure out accurate calorie counts anyway. Take the stairs and avoid the feed trough (buffet).
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Forget the logging (my logging streak would be in the four digits but for cruises!), always take the stairs except for embarkation and debarkation when you are schlepping stuff. I love to walk/run around the outdoor jogging track (especially on sea days!) and I do use the fitness center. Eat breakfast in the main dining room to avoid the buffet temptations (or room service depending on what line you're sailing) and eat tons of fruit and veggies at lunch. I love to try new things at dinner but probably the biggest thing is don't join the clean plate club! If it's not delicious, don't finish it! Go dancing, take active excursions but most of all enjoy yourself!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I did a cruise a couple of years ago, 5 night, ate whatever I wanted to, but did a lot of walking, gained 7 pounds, lost all of it 2 days later. :)

Going on a cruise in May 2015, again not going to worry about it.

Have fun and enjoy the delicious food.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You can't really log on a cruise. You have to pay a crap ton of money to use the wifi.

Before you go, set your calories to maintenance to get an idea of what they are. Or use your TDEE.

Fill up on veggies first. Eat light for breakfast. Have dinner a couple nights from the "healthy" menu and the rest eat what you want. If something doesn't taste amazing, don't eat it all. If it's the best you've ever had, have seconds (though cruise food is not that great). Drink a bit.

Go to the gym.

I did a cruise this summer and didn't gain an ounce. That's basically what I did. I would also do things like...if I wanted a hot dog and nachos, I'd eat the dog without the bun but help myself to the nachos. Give a little take a little.
  • zenaxe
    Options
    thx again.... going to have to start adding some fitness pals (*)
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Enjoy your vacation... I wish I could vacation cause I sure as heck wouldn't log a thing.
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Don't bother logging enjoy the tropics and your vacation. When ever I go down to Mexico or the caribbean I find I eat healthier, lots of fresh fruit and seafood and inevitably lose a few even after all the cervezas. Have fun.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I had a friend wh went on a ton of cruises and always lost weight during them because she was so busy she didn't have time to eat all the time even though she did enjoy the food that was served.

If you want to account for your food, lo it by hand, otherwise, just enjoy yourself.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Hello, I love my March Caribbean 14 night cruise.
    You will be fine with all the advice you have got so far.
    I am very active on port days and lounge around the pool on sea days and rarely put on any permanent weight. I do put on a ton of water weight, but that goes within the first week to 10 days so don't panic if you come home and weigh 3-8 lb more.
    Oh be careful with the fru fru drinks, they are so much part of a Caribbean cruise but are chock a block calories.
    What cruise are you doing?
    Cheers, h.
  • zenaxe
    Options
    Thanks ... 7 day cruise - heading out from San Juan to St Kitts, St Maarten, St Thomas, St Lucia and Barbados.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    IMO, logging is done in order to get fairly accurate estimates of what one is eating. Since a fairly accurate estimate would be nearly impossible to get for a week of restaurant food, I honestly wouldn't bother logging.

I (me, personally) wouldn't go too crazy, eating bunches of junk all day, every day. I'd still have my berries and cereals most mornings, some salads for lunches and would be eating a reasonable amount of food the rest of the time.

But vacation is vacation and if I'm ever going to be indulging, that'll be the time. I might have some cream sauce on my (whatever) one night, would totally have some red meat another night and if some yummy dessert popped up that I liked, I'd have at least half of it...unless it was Key Lime or rhubarb pie, in which case, I'd have two halves...might even have three or four halves!! :)

I hope you have a great cruise! :)
  • TimElwis
    Options
    I did this for 10 days but I made sure it was rough estimations and only when I was laying about with my phone out.

Focus on enjoying your time! And have fun :smile: