Isagenix ... sounds like it doesn't work.

Options
My "friend" is pushing, and I mean pushing me to buy it. I have looked at it, but it seems fake. What is your opinion about it?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Just say no!!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I have friends that sell it too. I think Isagenix, Visalus, Herbalife, Advocare, Beachbody etc., they work if you follow the program because it also entails prescribing to a certain meal plan. Do you need them to be successful? Nope.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yes, it will work if you do it as intended, but it is a waste of money and unnecessary. There is nothing magical about it. You can accomplish the same thing while eating real food in a deficit.
  • Alairissa
    Alairissa Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    So basically eat healthy and exercise is the way to go. My "friend" did not believe me when I said that.
  • ColoradoBringItOn
    ColoradoBringItOn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I also have a very pushy friend that over the years has tried to convince me I can't have success without her 300 dollar a month supplies. Well 41 pounds later and I think I'm doing just fine without her stuff. Can it help you? I'm sure. But so does clean eating and exercise.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Yes, it will work if you do it as intended, but it is a waste of money and unnecessary. There is nothing magical about it. You can accomplish the same thing while eating real food in a deficit.

Truth! I have people trying to sell this type of thing to me all of the time. I people that use it swear by it and that's cool. It is just not for me. I lost my 90 lbs by limiting my food intake (safely of course), cut out eating crap and working out. I don't really buy into the quick fix.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more.

Calories in vs. calories out.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Alairissa wrote: »
    So basically eat healthy and exercise is the way to go. My "friend" did not believe me when I said that.
    Le duh, wants to make some $$$ off of you!
  • Alairissa
    Alairissa Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    thanks guys! :smile:
  • aimforhealthy
    aimforhealthy Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Any and all diets that create a calorie deficit work, so yes it will work if followed to the letter. But you don't need it - just track your calories here on MFP and eat what you like.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i think it's awesome actually, but i do have a few complaints about it.

i love the taste of the vanilla shakes especially if blended with 1/4 cup of frozen fruit. i sometimes have trouble making a proper breakfast or lunch and this basically makes it brainless. that is what isagenix is awesome for!

i hate that it's so expensive. i mean really, if you want to follow their 30 day weight loss program (which does work) you fast every week and eat expensive "snacks" instead. i'm not keen on fasting days. i've done it, i lost weight and kept it off, but as far as i'm concerned "cleanse days" are for the birds. i don't, and never have, followed their 30 day system to the letter. forget that!

most of the products i've tasted have been yummy. i have not tried all products. there is one, ionix supreme perhaps? that tastes absolutely awful.

the business model of isagenix kind of hinges on you trying to get your stuff free (cause it's so expensive) or making money by making others join the cult ;) i did, to get my products at wholesale prices, but did not have anyone else join me because i just don't like that kind of thing, i'm not the type to harass people for a living. i eventually got off autoship because it hurt my wallet too much.
  • ERH56
    ERH56 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Of course it works. Anything works that has you reducing your calorie intake. A friend of mine has pushed me to try to sell it. In good conscience, I cannot. As a pastor, I feel it is more of a smoke and mirrors sort of plan. Yes, I know of people who have lost weight using it and I know just as many or more who have lost weight without it. I'm not suggesting my friend lacks integrity, he sincerely believes in the product or has convinced himself of the quality of the product since he makes a very good living out of it. Personally, I would not use it because of the cost and in my opinion, it is not needed for weight loss. I could not sell it for the same reasons, and trust me, I could use the extra cash, but wouldn't enjoy getting it that way.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    because it doesn't.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Yes, it works, but so does anything else that lowers calories enough to create a deficit. Your friend might be well-meaning, or maybe just trying to make some money.

I sometimes use the isagenix protein shakes in place of my regular morning protein shake, because I like the taste, but I have never done the "cleanse" and I can't see myself doing that.

The pros of Isagenix would be convenience, lack of decision making, and (for me) taste.

The cons are expense, lack of phytonutrients, lack of fibre, and the fact that it does not seem like a healthy long term lifestyle (for the reasons I just listed) or teach good nutrition or habits.