Vegan challenge starts tomorrow need support??

Options
I am planning to go on a vegan diet for at least 1 month however I need support any one want to join me on a vegan challenge ? If you do send me a friend request ;)

Replies

• TimElwis
    Options
    Just curious... If going Vegan is a challenge, then why are you going Vegan? The main reason people do it is that they hate cruelty towards animals in farms, so it's more of a life choice than a challenge. It's also usually something they continue to do.

Not sure if it will do anything dieting wise. I've always been one for the calories in and out. I also think it's better to do things you enjoy and that are sustainable for maintenance but that's just some friendly input from my own experiences.

As for joining this "challenge" Sadly i don't think I could give up meat, dairy and eggs for a month. I just love my Bacon and eggs in the morning and my lovely chai latte. I guess a positive would be me eating more leafy greens though.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    I think it's a splendid challenge! It really forces you to get creative with your food. I'm not a vegan, but we eat a lot of vegan food. My diary is open.

Don't try to "replace" meat; just try new things. PlantBasedOnaBudget.com is a great resource!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I support the American ranchers, so I say, "kill the beef." :)
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    As someone intending to transition over to veganism long term (still learning basics so I don't get hella sick later), I like this idea and will like it more if you've already found out how to work with protein and such already. Even if you don't intend to do it long term, you'll at least come away with it with a better understanding of the frustrations related to eating an animal-free diet.

I'm not at that point yet, though I'm starting to log again and there will be some animal-free meals. Not all, but the bulk of what gets eaten outside my apartment will be.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Why?

Be vegan or don't be.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    EfaqOhA.gif
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I am planning to go on a vegan diet for at least 1 month however I need support any one want to join me on a vegan challenge ? If you do send me a friend request ;)

May I ask why for only a month? And what are you trying to accomplish by going vegan for a month? Are you hoping to lose weight (which is only going vegan won't make you lose weight)? A bet with friends? Just curious.

On a side note, I was vegetarian for 2+ years (and actually gained weight). I couldn't go vegan because I like my cheese too much lol. I didn't plan on going back to meat but while at dinner with family I caved for an amazing chicken dish lol. I still don't eat red meat though.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    just ate a whole bbq chicken. HTH
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Have you seen the documentary 'Vegucated' - it's currently on netflix and follows the journey of three meat eating New Yorkers who are challenged to follow a vegan diet for six weeks. Really interesting watch!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    chrisdavey wrote: »
    just ate a whole bbq chicken. HTH

mmmm chicken

bleurgh barbecue

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm currently vegan till Christmas (religious fast). Don't listen to those who try to put the idea down. There is nothing wrong with experimenting and trying different things. I'm not religious, but I do this twice a year to support my family and to change food routine, which is exhilarating!

Cooking vegan dishes to try is one thing, but having it as a challenge is way more exciting and near forces you to get creative. For example, I've discovered not long ago that if you heat up homemade almond milk it gets thick and creamy. I used to not like it in my cereal because it felt watery. I'm eating things I don't eat often like barley and buckwheat, and I have bought tofu to try for the first time in my life! I also put in the muscle to make my own seitan. It was a curious experience. It's an exciting change from the usual convenient open-the-fridge-and-grab routine.

Unfortunately I will not be able to join you in this challenge, as my fast will be ending in a week, but I encourage you to try. Who knows, you may enjoy it! and if you don't, there is always going back to your good old regular diet.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Good for you! if you are a Twitter user @veganrevolution is very supportive and will contact you direct with advice if you want it. Also I think the vegan society will buddy you up with someone for support and advice if you need it.

Good luck!!
  • joepage612
    joepage612 Posts: 179 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You should get a physical before you start your challenge and note your HDL, LDL ,Blood pressure, Triglycerides, etc!
    I had high blood pressure, High LDL, Low HDL, High Triglycerides (as a lacto-vegetarian) so I became vegan for 1 year. After 1 year I had my levels rechecked and they were exactly the same! If you do the vegan 1 month challenge for health reasons my advice is it accurately assess any benefits. Look at your numbers and see if they change for you. Everyone is different.
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan so feel free to add and lurk at my diary but firstly, it's pointless if you're doing it for health as I'm not the average healthy vegan! And secondly, I've been very ill over the last couple of days so ignore them days in my diary!
  • qxana1969
    qxana1969 Posts: 9,330 Member
    Options
    I love being vegan! I went vegan for ethical reasons and everything else fell in place. I eat a far more varied diet than I did prior to my lifestyle change. I did make the commitment to not be a junk food vegan by giving up the majority of processed foods, sugar, and alcohol this past year, and the results have been amazing. My cholesterol is fab, I've lost a lot of weight and I have more energy at 45 than I did when I was 25. I am a all or nothing kind of person when it comes to food, because if I allow myself to eat junk some of the time then...... I think it depends on what you want, why you are doing it, and your commitment. I totally support you trying a different diet and encourage you to challenge yourself with cooking fun and yummy vegan recipes - there are tons of them out there. I got a great start back in the day by checking cookbooks out from the library.

Best of luck! No matter your choice, here is wishing you health and happiness!!

Amy
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Why in the world would you do a vegan diet (based on one's morals/beliefs) for one month? Did you just decide that you wanted to have vegan beliefs for one month, but then you are back to eating meat?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Good luck!

28-day-Dry-Aged-Sirloin1.jpg
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    As a vegan, I say if you are doing it for weight loss, it isn't a magic bullet for skinny. (Contrary to what PETA says on their website)(PETA, that's another issue altogether) Don't get caught up in the faux meats, cheeses, etc. Most of it is over priced crap.

Do you want to do a vegan "challenge" as you say, to try out the lifestyle and see if it's for you or to springboard into healthier eating, or for ethical reasons?

Have you thought about what you will be eating?

You are welcome to friend me and take a peek at my diary if you are looking for ideas, I can also point you the way to a bunch of really helpful websites if you want to pm me.

No matter what you are doing it for, I wish you luck!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    PETA is a hive of terrorists. I hope they run afoul of Darth Cheney.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    PETA is a hive of terrorists. I hope they run afoul of Darth Cheney.

I need a like button!

B)>:):D