Coming off Medifast

Options
So, in the last 7 months, I have lost 70 lbs on Medifast. It was great. I started working out a few months back, and though my endurance has increased, I'm not seeing any toning. I talked to a personal trainer and the nutritionist at the gym and they nearly fainted when I told them I only eat between 800-1000 calories a day on Medifast. I want to be healthy, not skinny, so I think its time to change it up. I like working out, and I really want to focus on that. Eating what I was eating, I was only allowed 45 minutes of exercise a day, and I want more! I want to be able to run!

So, I stopped Medifast on Thursday. Almost immediately, I've gained back 5 lbs. I know its water weight, because I know how many extra calories it would take to gain 5 lbs of fat!

Has anyone else tried Medifast and successfully switched to healthy eating?

I have another 50 lbs to go, and I want to get there by eating right and exercising, because I know that is what I'll have to do to keep the weight off.

Replies

• keljo05
    keljo05 Posts: 173
    Options
    if you are doing that program you MUST transition off.. which can take from 8-16weeks. Did you do the program thru medifast directly? or Take Shape For Life? if the latter then contact your coach for the transition information.

go to this site for the transition and maintenance guide:

http://www.medifastmedia.com/shared/docs/transition_maintenance_guide.pdf

Our office promotes this product and I used to be a 'coach', a couple of years ago.... but after a while I realized that no mattter what the propaganda.. its just not healthy.
  • blondie_rae
    blondie_rae Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You definitely want to follow the transition guide else you will likely gain weight back. I lost 123 pounds following Medifast and ran 5K's during that time frame. I guess it depends on how much and what kind of running you are wanting to do. I started with the c25k training program and was able to stay within the 45 minute guidelines. While I was on MF I started doing P90X and did have to switch to a 4/2 modified plan to support the extra calories needed for those workouts. If you are still wanting to lose 50 pounds you could always consider doing something like that where you would be able to stay on MF and still have increased workouts. There are all kinds of modifications and options out there for you but just quiting cold turkey without following the transition guides might not be the best way. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.