Couch to 5K - Question?

Options
Can folks offer any experience, positive or negative about this plan? I've done week 1, day 1 today on my treadmill. I'm almost 60 & have lost 30 pounds since April & am now walking about 5 miles 4 times per week. I'd like to try running now!

Thanks

Replies

• ACJP2014
    ACJP2014 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    The plan is great for building up your bodies ability, but most importantly your confidence in how far/fast you can run.
    Interval training (ie. running/walking) has been found to build up your fitness fast.
    Week 5 is the tough one; google it and you'll find heaps of advice, as well as lots of friendly advice on here I'm sure.

My tips:
    1. Don't be afraid to repeat days (although I only repeat days which I have failed until I succeed).
    2. Slow it down if you need to. Some people suggest walking for 30 seconds when you're in the middle of a run that you don't feel you can finish, but I have found for me especially on a treadmill (as I can control the speed better) that it is better if I slow down the whole run but continuously run. That's what I did for W5 D3, and whilst I only made 2 km in 20 minutes I still ran for 20 minutes -which gave me a much higher sense of achievement than if I had to have a walking interval in between. I then just slowly increased my speed knowing that I could run for 20 minutes as I did it the day before.
    3. If you do fail at a workout DO NOT beat your self up about it. How I see it is a failure shows me where I'm at physically. And that's the level I should push at until I'm better.
    4. Take the rest days, injuries suck.
    5. For running in general I have read that you should do static stretches beforehand, only afterwards. -I could be wrong though so other MFP peeps please correct me on this or any of my other tips.
    6. Do the cool downs, you'll recover faster (less injuries)
    7. I find for me that my daily target for calories is perfect, ie if I go for 3 or more days 100 calories lower than this then I start to feel really out of sorts, light headed etc, so I make sure that I eat back calories to give my body the fuel it needs; but you'll have to work out what's right for you.

And above all Go for it! -and report back on your progress please :smiley:
  • thiswillhappen
    thiswillhappen Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it slowly over the past few months and I just did week 8 day 1 today! I was never a runner before this program so I am super happy about it. I always thought I had bad knees, but when you take it slow and build up, your body goes along with it. If I ever feel knee pain, I take the next day off, no matter what. I also do leg exercises once or twice every week (squats, lunges, hip abduction etc.) so that I am strengthening my supporting muscles as I go. I find that this helps me with the running. I jog really slowly but it doesn't even matter. I feel happy and accomplished at the end of every run, and my plan is to keep running at weeks 6-8 and run a 5k in the spring!

Good luck!
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    We did this back in the spring and early summer and we now run right around 15 miles a week most weeks. We run exclusively outdoors. We had no trouble with injuries. We did start some resistance training after we finished the program to help build leg strength and further reduce the risk of injury. Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I used it about 20 months ago, took 12 weeks to complete rather than the 9 weeks it's designed for. Partly that was just fititng the sessions in, but one week I repeated as a confidence builder.

I did a half marathon just over two months ago and aiming for more HMs next year :)
  • mave34
    mave34 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have graduated from this program and my advice is to take a day off in between to recover, do your warm up and cool downs. Don't worry about speed focus on your form and endurance. Don't be scared to repeat days, it's not a race to the end. I started this program after being frustrated with a back injury, with the ok from my doctor and chiropractor and it has done me a world of good. I am now running a 5k without stopping 2 to 3 times a week outdoors even in the snow and I love it. My back is stronger than ever! Keep at it at your own pace and remember it's more mental than physical, I strongly recommend telling yourself along the way how much of a champ you are and you got this!
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    What everybody above me said! Stretching is a good thing, especially after a run. So if you find you're stiffening up afterward, don't skimp on the stretching :smiley:
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    It's a great programme. I graduated in June this year, with the help of the group here:
    Couch-to-5K on MFP

Check it out for lots more tips on what to wear, how to prepare for cold weather, how to track your runs, and also daily support in the check-in thread.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'll throw my personal experience in here. I was never a runner, period (it's probably one of the things you'll hear the most about the program). I detested running, it was tough, made me sick, and I felt like I was dying. Long story short, I was running a 5k after nine weeks of this program. It. Simply. Works.

Always take your rest days, do the program as written, and don't be afraid to repeat a day here and there.

For me, the toughest part of the program was the mental aspect. Every time I went out to run my brain would tell me to quit, every time!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Always start your jogging intervals slow. It will feel too slow, but you'll be glad you did as you work into the groove especially in the later weeks of the program.
  • runnergirl0721
    runnergirl0721 Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program in 2012. I always hated running, and would say that when I ran, I hurt myself. It wasn't a false statement, either. I fell in love with this program though. As everyone has said, take it at your own pace and don't go for speed. That will come. The key is to build your body up to be able to run. Repeat weeks if you deem it necessary. I highly recommend it. Now, I can't go more than maybe 2 days without running.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    My experience may not be as positive as others'. I've tried it 5 times and kept failing in the middle. One time I decided to keep repeating days until I get it... and then I got bore because I wasn't making any progress. It left me frustrated with myself, and feeling that if I can't even complete a program designed for beginners I must be leaps and bounds behind those couch potatoes.

I have found a different program which starts with 3 minutes continuous runs (I could run 3 minutes by that time). I kept seeing progress every single week and that motivated me. Right now I can run 30 minutes nonstop. Granted, slowly, but I CAN RUN! Something I've never done before!

Here is the program in case you're curious:
    exrx.net/Aerobic/RunnersEdge/5K10K1.html
  • xrachel2014
    xrachel2014 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Loved it! I literally couldn't run for more than a a few minutes before starting it. Just make sure once you finish the 5k and feel comftable, you keep going to run further and further.
    Agree with other, dont feel bad about repeating days. get some decent running shoes as well :smile: such a good app!!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I had to create my own "Week 0" when I started because I couldn't run the whole time that was scheduled for Week 1. After that, things went well, though. You've already gotten some great advice but I'll reiterate a few important points:
    1. Don't do anything high impact on the days between runs. Walking, biking, swimming, yoga, all are fine. Your joints need recovery time until they get used to the impact of running.
    2. You probably won't need running shoes at the very beginning (you'll be doing more walking than running) but you will by the end of the program. Go to a dedicated running store and have them check your gait, foot form, etc. then recommend the proper shoe for you.
    3. Unless you have a previous injury or physical limitation, running shouldn't hurt. Injuries are most commonly caused by overuse (see #1), the wrong shoes (see #2) or a surface that's too hard. Don't run on concrete; stick to asphalt, dirt or grass.
    4. You mentioned a treadmill. Be sure to set the incline to at least .5 and preferably 1%. It will not only help prevent shin splints which can occur with a treadmill set at 0% but it'll better simulate running outside. Unless they've started treadmill races, if you want to eventually challenge yourself with a race you'll need to transition to outdoor running at some point and it will make the transition easier.
    5. Have fun!!
  • teeseeytopcat
    teeseeytopcat Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks kindly everyone for your response & excellent advice! I'll keep you posted.

Cheers
    hozpndmvhyfv.png
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Just to second everyone else: it's a very good program for building your cardiovascular fitness, joint strength, and confidence. The fact that it progresses slowly is good; the last couple times I had started to run again, I took things too fast and wound up with an injury. C25K let me get back to running without hurting myself.

I suggest the "talk test" to gauge how fast you should run. If you can't talk in complete sentences, you're going too fast for a beginner. On the other hand, if you can sing, you're probably going too slow.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm finishing my ten week running class (C25K) next Monday. I now run 8 minutes before resting. I suspect I will soon be one of those running addicts. On non-running days I just want to go. I'm stronger, more flexible, and mobile.

Believe me, I'm a very cautious person. This program is very well laid-out.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I started the C25K program in 2012. I always hated running, and would say that when I ran, I hurt myself. It wasn't a false statement, either. I fell in love with this program though. As everyone has said, take it at your own pace and don't go for speed. That will come. The key is to build your body up to be able to run. Repeat weeks if you deem it necessary. I highly recommend it. Now, I can't go more than maybe 2 days without running.

When does the speed come? It's a little demoralizing to enter my jogs into MFP as very fast walks because I can't go faster than 4.7 mph. I really want to get to that 5mph so I can log it as a jog. I've been using sprint intervals in my 30 minute jogs to try to speed up (one minute 4 steps breath, 30 seconds 3 steps/breath, slow jog 1.5 minutes), but I haven't gotten further than 3.6 k in 30 minutes for the last couple of months... :'(

I used an interval walk to jog program when recovering from Plantar fascitis (tried to go from couch to 30 min continuous jogging all at once).
    http://running.about.com/od/getstartedwithrunning/ht/getstarted.htm

I loved it. I used to have sore calves for most of my jogs. Now they feel fine. I do get sore just where my right thigh meets my butt, though. I don't know why that happens.

I've read that static stretches are for after jogs, and dynamic stretches are for before. You can google dynamic stretches. There are also youtube videos.

Good quality shoes are essential.

I find using intervals seems to help my ability to use oxygen. I'm having an easier time with all my cardio since I started doing interval training. Now the idea of an "easy jog" is no longer an oxymoron for me.

I've read that running can help manage hunger, so it can help in weight loss.

I hated running (it hurt!), but now I'm almost addicted to it...OP is doing a great thing that can really pay off. Good job to everyone who's done this, and good luck :)
  • teeseeytopcat
    Options
    Another question ....what treadmill speed would you suggest I use for my "jog" portions? Thanks everyone!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Another question ....what treadmill speed would you suggest I use for my "jog" portions? Thanks everyone!

I remember reading on their website that it's best to start at the slowest speed you can run, that if you can run slower, you are not running slow enough. The goal is to condition the body to running. Speed comes later.

c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html
  • teeseeytopcat
    Options
    Ah ....thanks for this amusedmonkey. I'll check the site.