Loosing Inches

Options
I possibly have a silly question, but I'm very curious. Is there a trick to loosing inches? I've lost 10 lbs. and maybe that isn't enough, but I was kind of hoping to start noticing a difference in how my clothes fit, but I haven't lost any inches. People have said my face looks thinner, but I can't tell a difference. So, anyway, I was just curious. When, where, and how did you start loosing inches in your weight loss journey?

Replies

• FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    I'm trying to lose inches around my waist, so I'm doing abdominal crunches to try to tone up the muscle. Seems to be working, but it's slow progress. :smile:
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring everything? Sometimes the weight comes off in unexpected places, so if you are just measuring your waist, hips and chest, it might not be capturing everything. I gain and lose weight in my face, neck, calves and thighs as well. It is frustrating- I lost almost 30 lbs, and only went down one pants size. Also, do you measure your body fat? If you are losing weight, but not losing fat, then you may not lose a lot of inches.
  • jenniferlspies
    Options
    I've lost about 25 pounds (197 to 173.5) since January and have only gone from a 18/14 to a 14/12. I don't know exactly when I started loosing inches since I didn't start measuring until February 21, but I make sure to vary my workouts (so I don't get bored) and do both weight training and cardio.

Also, you might want to start taking pictures so you can see a difference. I can't tell I've lost weight by just looking in the mirror (even though everyone else can!), but I can tell when looking at my monthly photos.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Weight comes off in the order it went on. You can't spot reduce, so it can be frustrating when the main areas seem unchanged. But often, the fat is coming from ankles, feet, neck, wrists, cheeks, fingers, behind the knees, and other weird places.

I've gone down a half size in shoes, my rings and watches are loose and circling freely, and my double chin is gone. But waist and hips didn't change for months and months.

Just hang in there!
  • Jenleo26
    Jenleo26 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you haven't lost inches then you are probably mostly loosing water weight and muscle unfortunately. Weight training is key. I would definitely start measuring though to be sure because some people will lose in their upper body first and so their pants will fit the same for a while. It seems like you would notice after 10lbs though. Congrats on that by the way! That is awesome!!
  • haldeman5
    haldeman5 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Do you work out? strength training? Working out will help you lose those inches too. Don't worry they will start to melt off in no time:-) I do Chalean Extreme which has 3 circuit/strength training days and 2 cardio and I always add an extra cardio in there somewhere.

It took me about 16 pounds before I started to notice a difference and dropped a size.. Now I know I lost weight bc my clothes don't fit but when I look in the mirror it is still hard for me to see. Don't get discouraged you can do it!!!
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    Weight comes off in the order it went on. You can't spot reduce, so it can be frustrating when the main areas seem unchanged. But often, the fat is coming from ankles, feet, neck, wrists, cheeks, fingers, behind the knees, and other weird places.

I've gone down a half size in shoes, my rings and watches are loose and circling freely, and my double chin is gone. But waist and hips didn't change for months and months.

Just hang in there!

She's right. The first place I noticed it was my face and my neck.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have a machine called Lifestyle Cardio Fit and its like a full body crunch. You sit on it and you crunch. This has been helping me with my inches and working out my arms. Doesn't seem to burn tons of cals, but it definitely tones.
  • Bviera
    Bviera Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    The first place I lose inches is my waist. The last place I lose is my hips and thighs. So far, I've lost an inch off my upper arm (which wasn't that thick to begin with), about a half inch off my neck, a half inch off my bust, 3 inches off my waist, 3 inches off my hips, and about 1.5-2 inches off my thighs. This is all in just over 10 lbs. I'm expecting to start losing more off my hips over the next 10-15 lbs or so! But everyone's different. You should measure your neck, arms, calves, ankles... you'd be surprised where you do lose inches!

Also, as someone already pointed out, if these are your first 10 lbs, odds are a lot of it is water weight and not fat yet. Give it another 10 or so and check again.
  • kbloodworth
    kbloodworth Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Yeah- that was another thing, my wedding ring fit a lot better as did a pair of boots. Now if only my ample thighs would shrink down to match my skinny fingers and slimming ankles...
  • musicoflife08
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Really helpful information! :D