Best low/no carb bread?

Options
I've tried making my own from recipes I've found on Pinterest, but they never are like bread in the least. I'm just wondering a good bread (also has to be free of wheat) that isn't full of refined carbs. Recommendations?

Replies

• LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ...no carb bread? That's an oxymoron. If you're looking for a gluten free bread, or one free of wheat, I recommend Canyon House Bakery. They have great bread that doesn't need to be toasted and actually tastes like bread, unlike most GF options. http://canyonglutenfree.com/buy-gluten-free-bread-products/
  • crescentgaia
    crescentgaia Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel bread is very good but I'm not 100 percent sure of it being completely free of refined carbs. It is a place to start though. It's usually found in the freezer section of Whole Foods.
  • LydiaShackelford
    LydiaShackelford Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel is great bread, but most of their options contain wheat. It is free of preservatives, which is why it is frozen. Same with Canyon House.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    do you want to know this for a medical condition or is this just a 'carbs are bad" mentality?
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Lydia,

There is such a thing as low carb bread. I just want to find a good one without wasting a lot of money finding a good one. Thank you though, I will check that out!

@crescentgaia I have had Ezekial before and it is very good! Unfortunately it does have wheat in it though.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I've tried making my own from recipes I've found on Pinterest, but they never are like bread in the least. I'm just wondering a good bread (also has to be free of wheat) that isn't full of refined carbs. Recommendations?

That's because there's no such thing. 'Bread', in the strictest sense of the term, means it's made from the flour of grains or seeds. Grains & seeds contain carbohydrates (starch).
  • Dementedllama
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    do you want to know this for a medical condition or is this just a 'carbs are bad" mentality?

Carbs aren't bad. Unhealthy, refined, carbs are bad.

• court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    oh i know all too well the disappointment of looking at what your low-carb/paleo bread is supposed to look like versus the tragedy in front of you.

i would recommend oopsie bread:
    food.com/recipe/oopsie-bread-497736

and as for ezekiel bread, it does still contain grains. though on their web site, they do have like almond flour options and such, however, i don't guarantee those options would be low carb.
  • Dementedllama
    Options
    snoringcat wrote: »

That's because there's no such thing. 'Bread', in the strictest sense of the term, means it's made from the flour of grains or seeds. Grains & seeds contain carbohydrates (starch).

Yes they contain carbs. To clarify, I am talking about bad for you carbs like flour and, in my case, wheat.
  • Dementedllama
    Options
    c4rtr4t wrote: »
    oh i know all too well the disappointment of looking at what your low-carb/paleo bread is supposed to look like versus the tragedy in front of you.

and as for ezekiel bread, it does still contain grains. though on their web site, they do have like almond flour options and such, however, i don't guarantee those options would be low carb.

Thank you, this is very helpful! I'll check it out. :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

a carb is a carb is carb..

barring any medical condition you can eat the bread that you like, be in a calorie deficit, and lose weight.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Carbless carbs? I gotta see this...
  • Dementedllama
    Options

barring any medical condition you can eat the bread that you like, be in a calorie deficit, and lose weight.

All carbs are not equal, and not everyone loses weight in the same way or has the same dietary preferences. You do what you want, and I will do what I want. Also, never in this post did I say I was trying to lose weight. This is a dietary choice.

• scottkjar
    scottkjar Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I eat Mahler's California Lifestyle Flax-Soy bread. It has wheat (so violates your restriction) but it is low carb and avoids the processed stuff. Only 6g carbs, 1g sugar and 1g fiber. You can read the label and ingredients here: http://www.mahlersbakery.com/Images/Product/CalFlaxSoy.jpg. They will ship it to you if you buy a bunch of it.
  • ndj1979
    Options

All carbs are not equal, and not everyone loses weight in the same way or has the same dietary preferences. You do what you want, and I will do what I want. Also, never in this post did I say I was trying to lose weight. This is a dietary choice.

Yes, actually everyone loses weight the same way it is called calorie deficit ..calories in vs calories out...

Your profile says you are on a "serious fitness mission" if you are working out a lot then you are going to need carbs to provide energy for said mission ..

so out of curiosity what are your "goals"...
  • Dementedllama
    Options
    scottkjar wrote: »
    I eat Mahler's California Lifestyle Flax-Soy bread. It has wheat (so violates your restriction) but it is low carb and avoids the processed stuff. Only 6g carbs, 1g sugar and 1g fiber. You can read the label and ingredients here: http://www.mahlersbakery.com/Images/Product/CalFlaxSoy.jpg. They will ship it to you if you buy a bunch of it.

Thank you!

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Bread is made from flour, and flour is processed. Be it wheat, spelt, almond, rice, whole grain, bleached, or whatever, bread needs flour and flour is processed carbs.

There is no low carb bread. The best you can do is up the fiber content to lower net carbs.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/11/12/Ultimate-Keto-Buns

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/10/23/Easy-Low-carb-Bagels

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/02/07/Bens-Low-Carb-Rye-Bread
  • court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    c4rtr4t wrote: »

Thank you, this is very helpful! I'll check it out. :)

yes and it's super easy to make. this was one of the only low carb breads i didn't mess up. :) good luck!
  • Dementedllama
    Options

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/11/12/Ultimate-Keto-Buns

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/10/23/Easy-Low-carb-Bagels

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2014/02/07/Bens-Low-Carb-Rye-Bread

Thank you!