Replies

• Lulumaguloo
    Lulumaguloo Posts: 80
    Options
    BUMP
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I know that they use weights/zumba *sticks* My instructor went for toning...but so far we are not doing much different in class???? lol We have always used weights on certain songs..if we want to.
  • jtndle
    jtndle Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have not seen the classes offered but have heard of it. I'd love to get to try a class out or hear how people like it!
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it but from what I've heard it's focused more on strength then typical Zumba which is more cardio based. They used toning sticks and the songs have a lot more strength movements (squats, lifts, etc.)
  • KirstyJune
    KirstyJune Posts: 3
    Options
    I attend a zumba class every week and love it, if your into dancing and moving your body this is the right exercise for you. It moves each part of your body which will help with the toning and also is quite a vigerous excerscise and will defenatly get you sweating.
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    It is a combination of low impact aerobics and weight lifting moves with either toning sticks or weights. I have been doing the DVD sculpting and toning for a little over a month, but I have not see a big difference in muscle tone so I have added free weights on the side ( the toning sticks are really light). I would assume though in terms of actual classes it depends on the class and the instructor teaching it in whether one gets a good work out from it.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I know that they use weights/zumba *sticks* My instructor went for toning...but so far we are not doing much different in class???? lol We have always used weights on certain songs..if we want to.

I tried it as well. I liked it but it wasn't intense enough for me. It was fun dancing around with the mirraca (sp?) weights. That said- how effective zumba is has SO much to do with the instructor and how hard you push yourself!
  • stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'll be trying this for the first time tonight. My RPM instructor also teaches this and invited me to come and bring my own 1kg and 2kg weights to use so expecting a good workout.

How many calories would you burn in a 60 min class?

Kathy
  • Jenninedinburgh
    Jenninedinburgh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the toning sticks with the DVD for a couple of weeks now and love it. As I am new to MFP and working out, it's quite a work out for me. I could however see me needing to switch to heavier weights in the future.

As someone noted above, it's a combination of dancing and routine movements with a little bit of weight. Great if you're just starting out - but perhaps some heavier weights would be appropriate if one is further along on the fitness scale.
  • kimberley_1
    kimberley_1 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba on the Kinect... its great I love it
    You’re working out hard from the start but you just keep going because it’s so fun :)
  • elissascotland
    elissascotland Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'll be trying this for the first time tonight. My RPM instructor also teaches this and invited me to come and bring my own 1kg and 2kg weights to use so expecting a good workout.

How many calories would you burn in a 60 min class?

Kathy

Everyone is different. Me? I burn more than spinning!! So about 500 calories for me.
  • stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Well I tried Zumba Toning and didn't mind it although I did need heavier weights as the 1.1kg ones provided by my instructor weren't heavy enough. Might give it one more shot with heavier weights and see how it goes

If you like normal Zumba I would recommend this for sure.

Kathy