Advice On Chain Gyms?

Options
I have been using the weight room at my fire department so far. And although it is nice, not crowded, private showers when I'm done and need to get ready for work, plus I get to count my time there, I'm debating on joining a larger gym. I've been thinking about this because I would like to have access to more machines/weights. Our weight room is nice, but small, so I'm thinking I could get more out of a larger gym. Fitness 2000 is the one nearest me. Just wondering if anyone has had good/bad experiences with larger gyms or what your opinion is?

Replies

• aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My local fire department has complimentary access to the gym that I go to. Check with your HR people, and see if they have an arrangement with a local gym... why pay, if they have a deal?

It's rather funny though. Every Saturday morning, there's a hook and ladder, and 2 emergency vehicles parked on the street outside my gym. The first time I saw them, I thought there must have been a HUGE accident... then I saw half the crew playing racquetball, while the other half were weightlifting. Nice part of sharing the facilities.... if I ever have an incident at my home, I know the emergency crews (they're also my local FD).
  • soonermommy3
    Options
    Do you have a YMCA in your area? We have a membership to one and we LOVE it! No contract, classes, weights, showers, pool, etc.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It depends...I joined a larger gym because I wanted to start taking spin and pilates classes. Otherwise, i would have stayed with the gym my work provides on site. I would ask for a free trial membership and see if you even like their equipment, they're not busy doing the times you want to go, and if you even like the atmosphere.
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I go to 24 Hour Fitness and I love it! It's nothing fancy, but it has everything I need. The employees are nice, you get a free fitness orientation (trainer goes over your body fat %, measurements, goals), and the one I go to is smaller so I almost never have to deal with a crazy amount of people. PLUS, it's 24 hours! I have a strange schedule so being able to go absolutely whenever I feel like it is awesome.

Hope this helps!
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    The fire department used to offer the free membership to the gym I am thinking about joining, but stopped because no one was using it. They also won't pay for it now because we just put a weight room in our brand new station. And yes there is a YMCA the same distance as the gym, but the benefit to the gym is that they are open 24/7. I could get my money out of that better with my schedule than I could the YMCA.
  • StartingOver4Me
    Options
    I work for a Police Department (secretary) and we have a gym here at the PD we have a city recreation center too that I can join for $3 a year. I haven't done either! :(
  • curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I am a member of Fitness First in the UK. I used to be with Virgin Active before I started maternity leave. Personally I am highly motivated so I find I can go to the gym and do my workout and motivate myself to go. I would say that the environment I work out in is very important for me. Fitness First is not as nice as Virgin active which is more of a health club than a gym so as soon as I am working again I will be going back to them. Going to a cheaper gym is fine but I never shower there as its filthy! Thank goodness it is only ten mins walk from my house!!

One thing chain gyms can be good for is you can be a member of all of the locations so you can use one near your work during the week then one nearer home.
  • jdg1mfp
    jdg1mfp Posts: 103
    Options
    My advice would be that the cost doesn't always equal quality.
    That being said, here in Indianapolis there are several gyms well equipped in the $20 a month range (even the local Golds Gym).
    There are some more expensive ones that offer bball, racquetball, tennis, etc. in the $100 dollar range.
    I use to belong to the more expensive ones thinking that the cost would motivate me to use them. Wrong. All it did was make me feel like a waste after a couple of months never even walking in the door.
    I must say that I do miss the hot tub and the sauna though.
  • Jessk63
    Jessk63 Posts: 51
    Options
    It depends...I joined a larger gym because I wanted to start taking spin and pilates classes. Otherwise, i would have stayed with the gym my work provides on site. I would ask for a free trial membership and see if you even like their equipment, they're not busy doing the times you want to go, and if you even like the atmosphere.

I couldnt agree more....do a free trial...most gyms offer them and there is no better way to know then to try it out....i belong to a big gym LA fitness and did a free trial first an loved it so i went alllllll the time....but eventually it got kind of crowded so i had to switch my times up....i would definitely still be there but it got to costly for my little wallet! haha
  • BamBam1113
    Options
    Thanks for the info everyone. This one has a steam room, sauna, daycare (i don't need that though), classes, tanning (don't care), and some other ameneties. I'm just wondering if I would benefit more going there and being able to utilize a personal trainer (when funds allow) than going to my fire department and just blindly lifting weights. Also, I have heard negative things about the contracts that you get put under with these places and just wondered if anyone has ever had a bad experience with that. Thanks for responding! Add me if you like!
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I joined LA Fitness and I love it! A pool was important to me and the club I go to does have a pool. One nice thing about a larger gym is that there are more options so it helps keep boredom at bay. I have a treadmill and weight bench at home, but it gets BORING doing the same thing all the time.

I paid extra for some personal training sessions to start off with, that way the trainer is working with me. He helps me do the exercises correct and has shown me some I've never seen before. I figured with all the money I've spent on food in the past, I can spend a few bucks on my health now!
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'm a planet fitness member.
    It's a great gym and its clean.

The only problems I have with it are:
    No free-weight bench press
    No squat rack
    No deadlifting

Other than that, it's a great place to workout
  • BamBam1113