Grains and Dairy

Options
I have to increase grains/wholemeals and dairy in my diet as not eating enough kilojoules, but gluten intolerant and don't like dairy foods? I take calcium supplement but what do I eat/drink to get proportions in?

Replies

• mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    "only oats" is gluten free oatmeal. avoid wheat, rye, barley. brown rice is your friend, as is quinoa and chia if you're feeling more adventurous. if you don't like dairy foods, is it the calcium you're worried about? because canned salmon with bones (eat the bones) is excellent. bone broth (have a roast chicken, pick the meat off, put the bones in water, add a tablespoon of your favourite vinegar, and boil the heck out of it) is also very good in minerals. leafy greens have a surprising amount of calcium in them, per calorie. make sure you take your calcium supplements away from iron - they compete with each other absorption wise. conversely, take your iron supplements (if any) with juice and away from calcium, which optimizes absorption.

which of your macronutrients (protein, fat, carbs) are you running short on?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    jf4hk736rput.pngs8khxm8ciy6h.png

I used to eat Buckwheat cereal in this brand. There are other brands that require more cooking.

Be careful with the oats. Rice and quinoa are good. Calcium is abundant in green leafy veggies and other foods like soybeans.
    In order to increase calories, add fats and oils: nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, chia seeds, walnut oil, avocados, tofu . . . .
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    great chart!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Sounds legit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    :trollface:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jmitch40 wrote: »
    I have to increase grains/wholemeals and dairy in my diet as not eating enough kilojoules, but gluten intolerant and don't like dairy foods? I take calcium supplement but what do I eat/drink to get proportions in?

I eat grains and dairy (lots of dairy, in fact), but I don't see why you need to eat either to add calories. There are lots of other foods--potatoes and sweet potatoes, anything with fat (nuts, for example) add calories easily.

Also, plenty of grains don't have gluten. Corn and rice are easy options.
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I agree with prior posters...not sure why you think grains/dairy are the only way to add calories.......avocados, nuts, seeds, sweet potatoes, beans could all raise your calories while added significant nutrition.
  • jmitch40
    Options
    Doing the positive impact program with dietician and after logging my foods it keeps saying I am not eating enough, that is why I need more calories in general, but the dietician is saying in terms of food groups I am missing those two categories, so if I need increase cal May as we'll pick some from those food groups. Thanks for feedback.