How to stay on board

Options
Could someone tell me how to stay on the weightloss journey and not bounce on and off. One day I do awsome the next I just dont care. What is going on. How can I change this??

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you don't care, you don't care. Nobody can make you or even tell you how to care every day.

Diet on the days you want to and don't diet the other days. Eventually, you'll feel a pull toward working harder or quitting and will be able to either work hard on losing or just stop trying.

It's just something you have to figure out. :)
  • leanne0627
    leanne0627 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    If you are having trouble with motivation instead of making a ton of changes all at once that you cant stick too, and then feel bad about it, make one small change a month that you can stick to forever. Cut out soda or switch to diet, make sure you eat fruit/veggies everyday. Work out 3 days a week..whatever you want your goal to be, make a minigoal and celebrate when you have stuck to it. After 30 days it becomes a habit, then work on the next one. Maybe if you don't think of it as a diet but a lifestyle change it will be easier.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    If you don't care, you don't care. Nobody can make you or even tell you how to care every day.

Diet on the days you want to and don't diet the other days. Eventually, you'll feel a pull toward working harder or quitting and will be able to either work hard on losing or just stop trying.

It's just something you have to figure out. :)

This. It is a life long journey and unique to everyone. Strap in and enjoy the ride!

Best of luck :)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Have realistic goals. The idea should not be to torture or starve yourself, but to cut back and be aware of & responsible for your choices.

And my # 1 success tip: Share your goals with others. Example: I'm planning to run a 1/2 marathon in 2 months. (Less actually, yikes!) I've told everyone. Which means I will have a harder time wimping out. That's the benefit of sharing your goals & aspirations - it helps to keep you accountable.

• hamoncan
    hamoncan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Commit to logging every day even if you don't eat right. Not liking the numbers you see on your high calorie days will help keep you motivated. Not logging = lying to yourself about your calorie intake. When you think about it, lying to yourself / fooling yourself / denial is kind of ridiculous.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    leanne0627 wrote: »
    If you are having trouble with motivation instead of making a ton of changes all at once that you cant stick too, and then feel bad about it, make one small change a month that you can stick to forever. Cut out soda or switch to diet, make sure you eat fruit/veggies everyday. Work out 3 days a week..whatever you want your goal to be, make a minigoal and celebrate when you have stuck to it. After 30 days it becomes a habit, then work on the next one. Maybe if you don't think of it as a diet but a lifestyle change it will be easier.

This is pretty much my approach. At this point I am more worried about body fat, measurements and activity than I am on the scale.

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    leanne0627 wrote: »

This. It could be that you don't care, or it could be just that you don't care enough to make the big sacrifices you think you need to make to lose weight. Make it easier, accept that it will take a bit of time, and only do what you believe you can do for the rest of your life. One habit at a time is slow, but staggeringly powerful over time.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    For any of us, there are 2546785312568643679 reasons to quit on any given day, so without knowing you personally, there's no way for us to know why you keep quitting. The most common reason is that, well, it's hard. So, if I were to give 1 tip, it would be to do whatever you can to make the process easier! Miserable in 1200 calories? Eat more! You won't lose as quickly, but you'll lose just the same. And really, what's the point if you keep quitting? Don't wanna give up chips/ ice cream / soda/ hamburger? Don't! Just eat them in moderation. Do whatever you can to make the process as easy as you can.
  • yoganut707
    yoganut707 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i go back and forth also. i can only speak from personal experience. sometimes i will get my gym clothes on, then decide if i wanna work out or not. heck, ive even slept in them. you just have to find what works for you . never once have i regretted working out when i was done but i have regretted not working out. good luck to you. just keep at it and you will find something that works for you.