Shame and the Gym

Options

Replies

• pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    Ashleyr91 wrote: »
    "Oh my god she's back again and she looks like a beached whale. Wonder how long she's gonna stick around this time before she slides back into the ocean."

if I was on the otherside and saw a woman I recognized, back at the gym after some time away, I would silently fist pump for her comeback tour and maybe if I was feeling great and not consumed by my own fluff - I would give her a You Go Girl nod :D

^^^this is probably what most normal people in the gym would think. Nobody knows what kept you away for a while. For all they know you could have been in a terrible accident!

Go get it! (when you get all hot & fit & see a newbie struggling just remember how you felt today)
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about what evil people think, they are irrelevant. Good people will be happy for you that you are in the gym improving yourself.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Congrats for getting back to it. If I remembered you, I'd think it was awesome you were back. And if not, I'd think it was great that you were getting some exercise.

But I definitely have a "forget what anyone else thinks" approach to the gym. I bring headphones and dance music and actually DANCE on the elliptical and treadmill. At least I don't sing out loud!
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The disgusting people at the gym aren't the fat people, it' the guys who wear tiny tanks and wife beaters. They get their nasty sweaty skin all over the place. No one is going to judge you, and if they do who cares
  • S0vi
    S0vi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    No body will care, and those who do will never say something to your face about it and clearly are at the gym for the wrong reasons. Shake it off and do what you want. Only cares about the opinion of those who controls your bank account.
  • muah3iluvzu06
    muah3iluvzu06 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm at the gym 6 days per week and I pay attention to no one. I could not care less what people look like or what they are doing. I am focused on getting my work out done & getting the hell outta there. Go to the gym girl! :smile:
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    If your fears were true, what would happen then?

Good question.....

The answer is nothing. If someone thinks bad things, it has zero affect on you.
  • Laura732
    Laura732 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    If I can go through an hour's workout with a hole in the *kitten* of my capri's without anybody saying anything, then I think you're safe.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone really cares.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have to admit that I notice when "regulars" at my Y stop coming and / or return, but can't say I worry about whether they have gained weight or not. Like others say, just a silent fist bump that they are back. Go get it!
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    ^Agreed, I don't look at anything other than focusing on not dropping weights or falling off machines. Even if I go with friends as a social workout or with my boyfriend, I don't tend to notice myself noticing others. Just do you! It's not like anyone can fault you for getting back on the horse.
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Honestly, unless you show up in a neon orange leotard with a tutu on, I probably wouldn't even notice you. And that applies anywhere-I just don't pay a lot of attention to people that im not there to specifically visit with or train with.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    People coming back happens a lot where I go and all I feel is delight to see them again.

ETA: I was someone too who let it slide and had to walk back in and start again and glad I did.
  • lemon629
    lemon629 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone will notice or think anything about it. Most people are concentrating on their own work-outs.

Of those who do notice your size, sure there might be someone who thinks something mean, but there are probably just as many who are silently encouraging you.

Maybe start slowly by going at times of day that are less likely to be crowded the first few times you go.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    No body looks at you with a more critical eye than you do... and folks at the gym are NOT paying for their memberships to see if you have come back or what machine you will be using next. WHAT you are doing is making up what you think are perfectly legit excuses to NOT do for you what you promised you would do. So... step in front of that mirror and tell yourself to quit with the excuses and get on with it.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I only notice the people who are obnoxious. Like the two women who come together and then get on ellipticals 20 feet from each other and shout\converse. They give me a headache.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I know many of the employees at the gym I attend are very supportive, and I've seen them welcome returning guests with open arms. My mom, for example, who gained at least 30 lbs before returning. They made her feel comfortable, even after she expressed her fear of judgement. Of course, you don't have to let anyone know that you are uncomfortable. Just try to get back and find what makes you feel comfortable. I doubt people will even acknowledge the gained weight
  • veronakings
    Options
    rjmwx81 wrote: »
    I think I speak for about 99% of gym-goers when I say the only time anyone is going to pay ANY attention to you is when you're using a machine they want to use.

this
    you are totally being paranoid. no one cares! go get it, girl.

• ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Focus on what you can change, and not what you can't... by going to the gym and bettering yourself youll be doing exactly that. if there really are haters (and im not sure ive seen them), forget them, keep up your good work and then enjoy the feeling of them seeing you getting fitter and fitter.. To answer your question, I dont think i would notice, i dont tend to pay attention to other people in the gym.